• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I have a way to prevent ring marks on scopes

Re: I have a way to prevent ring marks on scopes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just stop posting. </div></div>

You have the power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This video essentially sums up any thread Gappa makes!

http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0</div></div>

true story

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's an expensive ass pair of calipers too, is they are the ones that are accurate to .0005 they range in price from $120-$850.

Is it your habit to buy expensive shit and never bother to figure out how the hell to use it?

For the record I have a $50 set (probably less than that) of RCBS calibers but I know how to use them... </div></div>

Those are standard Mitutoyo calipers before they came out with the digimatic encoding feature and the bumblebee color motiff, so they're at least 3 years old, probably $120-150 new depending on length. I have a newer pair of Mitutoyo 500-177-20 with the absolute encoding and carbide ID/OD jaws. Worth every single penny if you need the durability and NIST traceability.

I suck at math, always have, numbers just confuse the shit out o me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suck at math, always have, numbers just confuse the shit out o me</div></div>

amongst other things

The readout on the digital caliper is one and a half thousands (.0015) not one and a half ten thousands (.00015) or fifteen thousands (.015).
So in effect you are reducing the inside dia. of the rings by .003 ( three thousands ). Not a good idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: walt k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The readout on the digital caliper is one and a half thousands (.0015) not one and a half ten thousands (.00015) or fifteen thousands (.015).
So in effect you are reducing the inside dia. of the rings by .003 ( three thousands ). Not a good idea. </div></div>

Why pray-tell? Because you would be "shimming"? Are you suggesting this will damage the scope? If you over torque rings it will damage the scope as well..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: walt k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The readout on the digital caliper is one and a half thousands (.0015) not one and a half ten thousands (.00015) or fifteen thousands (.015).
So in effect you are reducing the inside dia. of the rings by .003 ( three thousands ). Not a good idea. </div></div>

Why pray-tell? Because you would be "shimming"? Are you suggesting this will damage the scope? <span style="color: #CC0000">If you over torque rings it will damage the scope as well..</span> </div></div>

And that is why people use torque wrenches. And on that subject, when can we see pictures of your scope mounted on your rifle?

OFG

i am not sure i like the idea of something in between my scope and ring when as stated before properly lapping the rings to the scope will yield no ring marks but to each his own. Thanks for sharing your idea. It shouldn't be an issue on light recoil rifles.

8wbi4m.gif

And that is why people use torque wrenches. And on that subject, when can we see pictures of your scope mounted on your rifle?

OFG [/quote]

[img:left]
33jr5tt.jpg
[/img]

Thank you for the picture of your scope mounted on your rifle. It has been a long time coming. Now for the range report.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This video essentially sums up any thread Gappa makes!

http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0</div></div>
That was dead on and couldn't be more fitting

All that scope for a 16"? Not that there's anything wrong with that. Me, I just started using a SS 12x42 on my 16" LR-308 just for range work. Works just dandy for that. I dunno, what is it $3300 less I payed for it and it just works. For the range, way more power than I need.

I'm dumb as a box of rocks but in my book it takes a lot to "over scope" a weapon..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm dumb as a box a box of rocks but in my book it takes a lot to "over scope" a weapon.. </div></div>

Quit saying shit like this. You're just asking for it!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyoslvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit saying shit like this. You're just asking for it!! </div></div>He's Trolling again: Check his posts.

I haven't been asking for it and have been getting it, I thought maybe if I ask for it I wont get it..lol

I'm not usually one to poke fun at a guys equipment and I certainly believe in spending more on glass than the rifle but damn man theres gotta be a line somewhere. $2000 scope and $20 bipod...

Sell that scope, sell the S&B. Go buy two used SS's or Bushnell tacticals for about a grand each. Spend the rest on ammo and go shoot the damn thing. It will teach you a thing or two and keep you from making stupid posts on the internet.

And buy a decent bipod for fucks sake. $10000+ in optics in a few weeks claiming you buy once cry once and you buy the cheapest crappiest bipod their is besides maybe the $5 gunshow special that clamps on the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm dumb as a box of rocks but in my book it takes a lot to "over scope" a weapon.. </div></div>

Dude you are not dumb, seriously you are not, man. I don't believe you think you are dumb either. But let's say this forum is the entire world. In this world you are one against every single other human in the world. You, sir, are not dumb, but a troll. As for over scoping I am over scoped for where I use it. But yes, it is very nice to have the extra. For the field I use a variable 1.8-6x FFP, soon to be a 1-6x FFP. Just don't need more than that for hunting. That said if I could justify the expense right now for a USO 1-10x I would love to have it.

http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0 </div></div>

poor adam sandler ... he cant seem to make a funny movie anymore

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just stop posting. </div></div>

You have the power.</div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And buy a decent bipod for fucks sake. $10000+ in optics in a few weeks claiming you buy once cry once and you buy the cheapest crappiest bipod their is besides maybe the $5 gunshow special that clamps on the barrel. </div></div>

Who cares about the bipod, I think I picked that up for $35 at the local gun shop. I only use that when I shoot at the indoor range @25 yards. I'm using Protektor Bags anyway (just ordered those)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm dumb as a box of rocks but in my book it takes a lot to "over scope" a weapon.. </div></div>

Dude you are not dumb, seriously you are not, man. I don't believe you think you are dumb either. But let's say this forum is the entire world. In this world you are one against every single other human in the world. You, sir, are not dumb, but a troll. As for over scoping I am over scoped for where I use it. But yes, it is very nice to have the extra. For the field I use a variable 1.8-6x FFP, soon to be a 1-6x FFP. Just don't need more than that for hunting. That said if I could justify the expense right now for a USO 1-10x I would love to have it. </div></div>

Thanks friend,, All the hate was startin to go to my head.

Another way to prevent ring marks is to buy a scope, never mount it, and send it back...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just stop posting. </div></div>

You have the power.</div></div>
+1</div></div>

I do but I like to see if someone will use their free will and common sense before bannIng them. Usually when they don't they are a troll and will be gone. Guess we will see.

Fell on the floor laughing when I saw the bipod! The troll strikes again!

Gappa, do you spend your days thinking of how to make this subtly funny?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And buy a decent bipod for fucks sake. $10000+ in optics in a few weeks claiming you buy once cry once and you buy the cheapest crappiest bipod their is besides maybe the $5 gunshow special that clamps on the barrel. </div></div>

Who cares about the bipod, I think I picked that up for $35 at the local gun shop. I only use that when I shoot at the indoor range @25 yards. I'm using Protektor Bags anyway (just ordered those)
</div></div>

LOL you're exactly right, who needs a bipod anyway? I guess one of only required for 25 yards and in.

You can't be fuckin serious.

Gappa, face it, you are going to get shit for just about anything you post based on your history here so far. I don't feel all of it has been totally fair, but you've also done little to help your cause. I can't blame you for sending back $2K+ optics with defects, I would do the same thing. But, I've read your postings and can't find a single range report. If you took your gear to the range, shot it, and posted useful info I think you'd earn some respect back.

Regarding your tape idea, yeah it's been done. It just introduces another variable into the equation and is not necessary with quality rings that are torqued to spec. Since you don't mind spending the cash for quality tools here is my advice: order yourself a Utica TS-35 torque screwdriver ($225) and torque the rings to 15 INCH-lbs and see if they move. If they do, which I doubt, try 20 inch-lbs. I have never, ever scratched or damaged a scope tube when torqued properly. If you are not using a torque screwdriver I can almost guarantee you that you are over-tightening them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arc Light</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gappa, face it, you are going to get shit for just about anything you post based on your history here so far. I don't feel all of it has been totally fair, but you've also done little to help your cause. I can't blame you for sending back $2K+ optics with defects, I would do the same thing. But, I've read your postings and can't find a single range report. If you took your gear to the range, shot it, and posted useful info I think you'd earn some respect back.

Regarding your tape idea, yeah it's been done. It just introduces another variable into the equation and is not necessary with quality rings that are torqued to spec. Since you don't mind spending the cash for quality tools here is my advice: order yourself a Utica TS-35 torque screwdriver ($225) and torque the rings to 15 INCH-lbs and see if they move. If they do, which I doubt, try 20 inch-lbs. I have never, ever scratched or damaged a scope tube when torqued properly. If you are not using a torque screwdriver I can almost guarantee you that you are over-tightening them. </div></div>

I have a small 1/4" torque ratchet i can use. I'm still trying (and waiting for parts) to get all my gear together before I can go to the long range. I have shot at the indoor range but at 25 yards or however long that indoor range is the AR cuts a hole the size of a quarter.

Borka MG9 kit is very well regarded. There are slightly less expensive Borka kits, but this one has just about any bit you could possibly need. Stepping down is the FAT torque wrench.

OFG

op, you should use this Merry Christmas Ribbon from Target. it's actually NEGATIVE 0.012 inches!
B1F6E5C5-90AF-4F75-8FB6-65E8052462B4-17159-00001F1210EE2E17.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quacktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">op, you should use this Merry Christmas Ribbon from Target. it's actually NEGATIVE 0.012 inches!
B1F6E5C5-90AF-4F75-8FB6-65E8052462B4-17159-00001F1210EE2E17.jpg
</div></div>

R O F L

You know what else I find funny... it's when Delta Bravos show up to an indoor 25 yard handgun range with a scoped 308 with a brake attached.