• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a Zero Obsession Lately

What I am finding out being new to precision rifle is, your zero settings aren't static 100% of the time. I guess I had this unrealistic expectation that once I zeroed my rifle, for the most part, it's zeroed and good to go and I wouldn't have to change it. But I have learnt by chasing my zero like crazy, that sometimes you just need to reset your zero. Obviously making sure that you don't have equipment problems. I was getting frustrated when my zero was perfect on one range trip, then three days later I come back and everything is shooting 1 MOA to the left. So I would readjust. The next time I came out, it would be some vertical POI shifts. I guess this happens to everybody it seems. And sometimes I shoot out to 200 yards to recheck my zero.
What’s the rifle and cartridge?

What’s the rifle and cartridge?
6.5CM. Bergara HMR Pro. I don't reload rifle at the moment. I do shoot very accurate factory ammo. I can get sub MOA. But sometimes I can go back to the range, and my zero has shifted, vertical or horizontal .5 to 1 MOA. I usually shoot five shot groups.

6.5CM. Bergara HMR Pro. I don't reload rifle at the moment. I do shoot very accurate factory ammo. I can get sub MOA. But sometimes I can go back to the range, and my zero has shifted, vertical or horizontal .5 to 1 MOA. I usually shoot five shot groups.
It sounds like a few things could be the issue. Do a check on your body position. It could be you, prone I’ve noticed zero shifts because of inconsistencies with my rear bag use, firing hand interface with the rifle, shoulder pressure etc.

My zero is dependent on what range I shoot on that day.

I know my POI shifts up or down as much as 1 MOA from zero depending on the surface. Bipod in sand, bipod on shooting mat, bipod on concrete, bag rest, bench. I assume it's the difference in recoil control.

I keep a page in my data book to record the shift for different surfaces. It seems repeatable enough to document. Thought about using the zero offset utility to account for it but have not tried that yet.

Reactions: diggler1833
Knowing things is great (why'd that happen etc). There is A LOT MORE that goes into getting repeatable POI from same POA than most new shooters (me awhile ago) think. With each new gun even you may have to alter what was working for you consistently on the last gun.

My short answer for How-to zero would be repetition and results.

Repetition (aside from boosting confidence/familiarity in system) is what gives you knowledge and facts, which should lead to patterns that you have to always be considering.
At the end of the day however the main reason a zero matters is for the repeatable impact at distance, and that leads to confidence in a gun system - it takes time. Consider this, you have to get frustrated with your performance, if you dont the motivation to think critically, look precisely, change different aspects etc. diminishes greatly. Frustration to motivation to repetition to confidence in results.

Take a fundamentals class (Marc and Frank are awesome at this, I really think I am lucky I found these guys first in my journey) and get a lot of things ironed out and a lot of things to think about. Be serious and take it seriously (quit calling "flier!" all the time lol).

There are many techniques, the trick is knowing when and how to use each one - coming not from reading but from doing (no prob getting ideas from reading but try it... maybe it doesn't work well for you. Dont be afraid to be different if it gets results.
---------
All that said - zero at 400yd; its hip! ;)