• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have bipod issues

Heavier rifles recoil less. Heavy rifles are more pleasant to shoot. Heavy rifles are easier to shoot. Heavy rifles suck to move. As someone that’s gravitationally challenged (155lbs), a heavy rifle is much easier to shoot than a light one. As an example of extreme weight differences, I’ve got a mountain rifle in 270win (7.5lbs loaded) and an RPR in 6.5 creedmoor (17 lbs loaded). Both are easily sub moa rifles. I would love to have a 7.5 lb rifle to move between stages, but it stays in the safe on match day. A light rifle is not easier to shoot, and that’s why pretty much everyone that shoots prs does so with a behemoth of a rifle. This heavy rifle thing isn’t a “real men shoot heavy rifles” thing. It’s a, “shooting a heavy rifle in a match is as close as you can get to cheating while staying within the rules” thing. Kudos for a light weight prs build only because some think heavy rifles are cheating. Keep telling yourself you shoot light weight rifles better. It defies physics. Personally, I don’t think there’s a bipod made that will satisfy you.

Last edited:
Heavier rifles recoil less. Heavy rifles are more pleasant to shoot. Heavy rifles are easier to shoot. Heavy rifles suck to move. As someone that’s gravitationally challenged (155lbs), a heavy rifle is much easier to shoot than a light one. As an example of extreme weight differences, I’ve got a mountain rifle in 270win (7.5lbs loaded) and an RPR in 6.5 creedmoor (17 lbs loaded). Both are easily sub moa rifles. I would love to have a 7.5 lb rifle to move between stages, but it stays in the safe on match day. A light rifle is easier to shoot, and that’s why pretty much everyone that shoots prs does so with a behemoth of a rifle. This heavy rifle thing isn’t a “real men shoot heavy rifles” thing. It’s a, “shooting a heavy rifle in a match is as close as you can get to cheating while staying within the rules” thing. Kudos for a light weight prs build only because some think heavy rifles are cheating. Keep telling yourself you shoot light weight rifles better. It defies physics. Personally, I don’t think there’s a bipod made that will satisfy you.

Thanks for your input. Most likely there is no bipod in existence that will satisfy me. Therefore, I am keeping the Tier-One Tactical bipod.

not sure if this this would take off enough weight for you but , I have seen a few people take off the qd mount off of their bi pods and drill a hole if there is not one in the portion that holds the legs using a bolt and nut to attach to m lock i'm not sure how much weight it takes off or if you would think of trying that i noticed when loosening one of mine you could remove that and the legs were by them self lighter just again its an idea.

not sure if this this would take off enough weight for you but , I have seen a few people take off the qd mount off of their bi pods and drill a hole if there is not one in the portion that holds the legs using a bolt and nut to attach to m lock i'm not sure how much weight it takes off or if you would think of trying that i noticed when loosening one of mine you could remove that and the legs were by them self lighter just again its an idea.

Its funny you mention that because when I owned the Evolution bipod I removed the QD mount and replaced it with clamp style mount in order to reduce weight. I was looking at the Tier-One bipod this afternoon wondering if I could do the same thing, because it weighs 2.89 ounces. Please look at the bipod with the QD mount removed and tell me what you think.

47099721711_6b317abbcc_n.jpg

47099721971_c4e974b4ce_n.jpg

47099722271_6b7c81b735_n.jpg

Its funny you mention that because when I owned the Evolution bipod I removed the QD mount and replaced it with clamp style mount in order to reduce weight. I was looking at the Tier-One bipod this afternoon wondering if I could do the same thing, because it weighs 2.89 ounces. Please look at the bipod with the QD mount removed and tell me what you think.

47099721711_6b317abbcc_n.jpg

47099721971_c4e974b4ce_n.jpg

47099722271_6b7c81b735_n.jpg
Are you wanting to do PRS or similiar competitions? Have you shot any before?

Reactions: gits
Are you wanting to do PRS or similiar competitions? Have you shot any before?
the one person that i have seen with a set up like that took a cheap copy knock off of an expensive bipod and now uses bolts to hold it inplace it works for him I don't think i would try it on an expensive set up , but that is up to you. think he said he spent less than 40.00 for the whole deal. he also uses a fixed legs so that extra weight from the legs is no longer there . once its set up on a table i still don't understand the concerns about weight , guess if your caring it that would be a difference.

the one person that i have seen with a set up like that took a cheap copy knock off of an expensive bipod and now uses bolts to hold it inplace it works for him I don't think i would try it on an expensive set up , but that is up to you. think he said he spent less than 40.00 for the whole deal. he also uses a fixed legs so that extra weight from the legs is no longer there . once its set up on a table i still don't understand the concerns about weight , guess if your caring it that would be a difference.
I just don’t understand the desire to have such a light rifle if he is truly wanting to do PRS type competitions. I agree that we don’t all need to shooting the lightest recoiling round and also the heaviest possible rifle we can carry to help eliminate recoil altogether, but that being said there is almost no benefit to going light, even if you think it will help you physics would say otherwise. Maybe for something like the Competition Dynamics or Vortex Extreme events where lots of movement and time are a factor it would be handy but just not sure trying to find the lightest bipod is the best method. It feels like making too much of a compromise will result in it not working properly at some point.

I just don’t understand the desire to have such a light rifle if he is truly wanting to do PRS type competitions. I agree that we don’t all need to shooting the lightest recoiling round and also the heaviest possible rifle we can carry to help eliminate recoil altogether, but that being said there is almost no benefit to going light, even if you think it will help you physics would say otherwise. Maybe for something like the Competition Dynamics or Vortex Extreme events where lots of movement and time are a factor it would be handy but just not sure trying to find the lightest bipod is the best method. It feels like making too much of a compromise will result in it not working properly at some point.

You don't have to understand it.

Reactions: jafo96
I have never seen anyone who shoots a lighter rifle better over a day long course of fire. Perfect weight for shooting is 100# and perfect weight to carry is 0#. I have compromised and settled at 16# :)

Reactions: b6graham
how many stages do you even use a bipod in PRS anyways? half? maybe? and the rest of the time you're not moving a whole hell of a lot if at all

have you thought of the ones that attach to the mlock and just two legs leapers utg recon bipod or that has to be light or maybe Fortmeier ? those look heavier than my atlas at only 11.42 ounces , I also not sure about the cost as i have not broken down the exchange yet.

I recently got this one, have not shot the rifle yet. might be too heavy for your build though. Gg&g is the brand.View attachment 7025384

I had one that came with a rifle I bought. It was a pretty good bipod from what I remember, I didn't use it long before I gave it to my brother since I had plenty of bipods and he didn't have one.

I love my big boned crusader it look so nice perched on top of my rpr 308 almost like a fat girl on a very little bicycle. no its not that bad. lol on a remington 700 maybe or a 22 that would just look way off , like a whale trying to get it's rocks off on a sub.

Hi Bigdude,

Apologies for the slight threadromancy, but just wanted to see what you thought now about the Tier-1 bipod?

I noticed you sold it recently, so was wondering what you replaced it with, and why?

Thought it would be interesting to have your updated thoughts in the same thread, so we can see the outcome of your first round of research, and where your current thinking is at ... :)

Yes, please share your thoughts. We get them in South Africa as well and they are ever so slightly cheaper than Atlas

I recently finished my first centerfire build (Remington 700 in .260 Rem) but I have been struggling with finding the right bipod. So far, I have purchased 4 bipods specifically for this rifle and returned or sold 3 of them. FYI, I already own an Atlas B10 V8 that I use for my rimfire rifles but I really want the absolute lightest bipod that I can find. A weight under 8 ounces would be ideal.

Bipod #1: Javelin Bipod

The first bipod I tried was the Javelin bipod (weighs 5.22 oz.) made by Spartan Precision Equipment. I immediately returned it because the bipod is not foldable while mounted. I paid around $350, which included free shipping from the UK.

Bipod #2: Modular Evolution Bipod

My second purchase was the Evolution bipod (weighs 14.00 oz.). This bipod is basically a clone of the Atlas bipod with carbon fiber legs. My only complaint was its weight and as a result I never used it. I think I paid about $350 but sold it here in the classifieds.

Bipod #3: Spartan 300 Bipod

My third bipod purchase was the Spartan 300 bipod (weighs 5.60 oz.) and is also made by Spartan Precision Equipment. The Spartan 300 bipod was very nice, but I had two issues with it. First, the cant tension was not adjustable. Second the leg extensions were not spring loaded nor were they notched. So basically to extend the legs you twist to unlock then pull to desired length. I purchased it on sale for $400, which included free shipping from the UK. Once again, I returned it for a refund.

Bipod #4: Tier-One Tactical Bipod

Today I received bipod #4, the Tactical bipod by Tier-One (based in the UK). The Tactical bipod is offered in many different configurations. I selected one with 7”-9” carbon fiber legs, tilt but no pan feature, QD mount and the optional Pod Lock. Several variations are available such as aluminum or carbon fiber legs, pan & tilt, tilt only, two leg heights and three different adapters for attachment. The advertised weight of my particular bipod was 8.53 oz. I paid $418, which included free 2-day shipping from the UK. The bipod has every feature I wanted: spring loaded notched deployable legs, carbon fiber legs, QD attachment and a sturdy case. I’m disappointed with the actual weight as it is 11.52 oz.

32148591627_61abb4bf85_c.jpg

46176811105_64ba65ce0b_c.jpg

47090446771_59a4bc3566_c.jpg

After reading all the replies to this post, I have decided to simply keep this bipod and discontinue my search for a lighter one.

There are a couple other bipods on the market that I have looked at but will not work for my build. The bipods listed below I considered:

-Accu-Tac BR-4 G2 bipod (20.00 oz.)
-Warne Skyline bipod (19.00 oz.)
-Boscabel Bel-Loc bipod (16.93 oz.)
-Knight Armament Precision bipod (12.50 oz.)
-Rugged Ridge Outdoor Gear Extreme bipod (~12 oz.)
-Magpul bipod (~11 oz.)
-Steinert Sensing Systems NeoPod bipod (2.90 oz.)

I know I am leaving out Harris bipods and that is because I will not use them. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

What do you have against Harris bipods? Mine works just fine, though it only cost $80-90.

What do you have against Harris bipods? Mine works just fine, though it only cost $80-90.
they're not always straight. the spring legs are less than ideal. their apex point is less than ideal.

by the time you upgrade it you're like $120-150 or whatever and almost at an Atlas CAL

I have seen Harris bipods with LaRue, ADM, RRS and some custom mounts too. Even with alternative mounting I will still never run a harris bipod. They are too heavy and hard to look at. What amazes me is that the people at Harris have not redesigned the mounting method or at least offered other mounting options.

The originator died a few years ago and now it’s run by a few nice old ladies (I assume one is his widow) and they will not make any changes. I know someone who approached them to buy the company but was turned down. Don’t expect any updates soon

I recently finished my first centerfire build (Remington 700 in .260 Rem) but I have been struggling with finding the right bipod. So far, I have purchased 4 bipods specifically for this rifle and returned or sold 3 of them. FYI, I already own an Atlas B10 V8 that I use for my rimfire rifles but I really want the absolute lightest bipod that I can find. A weight under 8 ounces would be ideal.

Bipod #1: Javelin Bipod

The first bipod I tried was the Javelin bipod (weighs 5.22 oz.) made by Spartan Precision Equipment. I immediately returned it because the bipod is not foldable while mounted. I paid around $350, which included free shipping from the UK.

Bipod #2: Modular Evolution Bipod

My second purchase was the Evolution bipod (weighs 14.00 oz.). This bipod is basically a clone of the Atlas bipod with carbon fiber legs. My only complaint was its weight and as a result I never used it. I think I paid about $350 but sold it here in the classifieds.

Bipod #3: Spartan 300 Bipod

My third bipod purchase was the Spartan 300 bipod (weighs 5.60 oz.) and is also made by Spartan Precision Equipment. The Spartan 300 bipod was very nice, but I had two issues with it. First, the cant tension was not adjustable. Second the leg extensions were not spring loaded nor were they notched. So basically to extend the legs you twist to unlock then pull to desired length. I purchased it on sale for $400, which included free shipping from the UK. Once again, I returned it for a refund.

Bipod #4: Tier-One Tactical Bipod

Today I received bipod #4, the Tactical bipod by Tier-One (based in the UK). The Tactical bipod is offered in many different configurations. I selected one with 7”-9” carbon fiber legs, tilt but no pan feature, QD mount and the optional Pod Lock. Several variations are available such as aluminum or carbon fiber legs, pan & tilt, tilt only, two leg heights and three different adapters for attachment. The advertised weight of my particular bipod was 8.53 oz. I paid $418, which included free 2-day shipping from the UK. The bipod has every feature I wanted: spring loaded notched deployable legs, carbon fiber legs, QD attachment and a sturdy case. I’m disappointed with the actual weight as it is 11.52 oz.

32148591627_61abb4bf85_c.jpg

46176811105_64ba65ce0b_c.jpg

47090446771_59a4bc3566_c.jpg

After reading all the replies to this post, I have decided to simply keep this bipod and discontinue my search for a lighter one.

There are a couple other bipods on the market that I have looked at but will not work for my build. The bipods listed below I considered:

-Accu-Tac BR-4 G2 bipod (20.00 oz.)
-Warne Skyline bipod (19.00 oz.)
-Boscabel Bel-Loc bipod (16.93 oz.)
-Knight Armament Precision bipod (12.50 oz.)
-Rugged Ridge Outdoor Gear Extreme bipod (~12 oz.)
-Magpul bipod (~11 oz.)
-Steinert Sensing Systems NeoPod bipod (2.90 oz.)

I know I am leaving out Harris bipods and that is because I will not use them. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

So thanks for keeping your Atlas, which by the way, is STILL the lightest folding bipod of all you posted. Carbon fiber is cool to look at but last time we looked into it, there is no weight reduction if same strength and integrity as aluminum is required. We've been asked for a "lightweight bipod" 8 ounces is doable, we were going for 6.

Wait ... did I miss the part where he said he kept an Atlas? :unsure:

Yes, I believe so. "....FYI, I already own an Atlas B10 V8 that I use for my rimfire rifles but I really...." So I took it he still had it. Might be wrong, been wrong before.

Two sticks or dowel rods, a 1.5-2” piece of bicycle inner-tube, done. Lightweight bipod cheaper than any of the above options.

You’re welcome.

ETA - username does not check out, hit the gym.