• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I hesitate to ask but here goes

Kevins750

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2018
Lemoore california
I have 2 co-workers who just recently got into shooting as a sport. Both have shot a little before, one just .22's and the other a little more seasoned had an old 30-06 years ago. Being in California we welcome all the new people to the sport we can get.

Anyway long story short, both just bought rifles to shoot with us in Coalinga and they need optics. Problem is they don't want to spend more than $300-400 on a scope. I know you guys don't deal with low dollar optics, but my suggestion to them was SWFA 10 or 12x and neither cared for my answer......

Sorry for the long post anything else in that price range you recommend........they don't care about anything other than SIDE FOCUS...& MIL-DOT..

one just bought a 7mag and the other bought a 6.5C......this is just weekend range shooting, no comps, no hunting.

Primary Arms just came out with a front focal 3-18x scope for $500 that has a reticle specifically for 6.5 Creedmoor. That's an optic you probably won't want to dial elevation for though, I'd use the reticle for holdovers.

For the 7mm, I'd go with the SWFA at that price range.

What's this whole, "I know you guys don't deal with low dollar optics" business? I am 99% sure that 99% of us did not start out our precision rifle shooting with a 3000.00 S&B. I also know that 72.34% of statistics are made up on the spot! ;)

I started with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20. It had a mil dot reticle and MOA turrets.

In all honesty, there are so many more options for smaller budgets with regards to optics than there were when I started shooting and I haven't been doing it half as long as some of the dudes on this board. I think you're getting solid recommendations already. I can't vouch for many of the lower dollar optics but I do know, for instance, that the 3-15 Weaver Tactical (FFP) is a beast of an optic and a used one can be had for about 400.00ish.

I believe SWFA is also a fantastic alternative for some cheaper, yet very robust optics. Their fixed power optics are an excellent value. A good 10x or 12x would be perfect for a beginner without blowing a bunch of cash.

I would definitely have them keep an eye on the classifieds here on the Hide. I wouldn't shy away from a decent quality, used optic, either.

I have 2 co-workers who just recently got into shooting as a sport. Both have shot a little before, one just .22's and the other a little more seasoned had an old 30-06 years ago. Being in California we welcome all the new people to the sport we can get.

Anyway long story short, both just bought rifles to shoot with us in Coalinga and they need optics. Problem is they don't want to spend more than $300-400 on a scope. I know you guys don't deal with low dollar optics, but my suggestion to them was SWFA 10 or 12x and neither cared for my answer......

Sorry for the long post anything else in that price range you recommend........they don't care about anything other than SIDE FOCUS...& MIL-DOT..

one just bought a 7mag and the other bought a 6.5C......this is just weekend range shooting, no comps, no hunting.

I have had great luck with SWFA SS 10x42, which one can find for < $300. It's quite touch and the turrets seem to be quite consistent and accurate.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

What's this whole, "I know you guys don't deal with low dollar optics" business? I am 99% sure that 99% of us did not start out our precision rifle shooting with a 3000.00 S&B. I also know that 72.34% of statistics are made up on the spot! ;)

I started with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20. It had a mil dot reticle and MOA turrets.

In all honesty, there are so many more options for smaller budgets with regards to optics than there were when I started shooting and I haven't been doing it half as long as some of the dudes on this board. I think you're getting solid recommendations already. I can't vouch for many of the lower dollar optics but I do know, for instance, that the 3-15 Weaver Tactical (FFP) is a beast of an optic and a used one can be had for about 400.00ish.

I believe SWFA is also a fantastic alternative for some cheaper, yet very robust optics. Their fixed power optics are an excellent value. A good 10x or 12x would be perfect for a beginner without blowing a bunch of cash.

I would definitely have them keep an eye on the classifieds here on the Hide. I wouldn't shy away from a decent quality, used optic, either.

Fuck yeah...
I had two of those weavers and regret selling both. Solid scope, bomb proof, great glass and tracking. If they don't care for illumination, then yes, they can be had for about 400 if purchased used.

It is hard to beat a 12X or 10X SWFA they are tough, dependable and they dial accurately I have 3 of them I have had for years and use on guns where I don't want to spend a bunch of money they are hard to beat for $300.

It is hard to beat a 12X or 10X SWFA they are tough, dependable and they dial accurately I have 3 of them I have had for years and use on guns where I don't want to spend a bunch of money they are hard to beat for $300.
I haven't used the 12x but am really, really impressed with the 10x, and that's a good, solid magnification range, good out to 1000 for sure

Reactions: bwp86
Paint me in the minority, but it isn’t 1980.

A fixed 10x HD SWFA is like looking through a straw with a 10’ FOV at 100. Sure it is robust, but it is’t going to be the last scope he owns if he enjoys shooting. They will not learn the value of FFP, using the magnification to increase FOV to find targets etc. with a fixed scope, plus they already are against the idea.

I’d vote for a less robust 4-16FFP with 2x times the FOV a better reticle and less money like the Vortex Diamond Back Tactical or even the 6-24FFP.

Both under $400

Athlon or similar as mentioned in other posts work. Remember, if there is a small error in tracking we map the turret in the solvers

I understand what you mean, but the guy with the most experience (30-06 guy) was singing me the praises of the tasco scope he had on his "old -06" and the other guy was shooting with irons.
They should be very happy with these options.

In the $300-400 range it's near impossible to beat the Athlon Argos scopes. Clean the turrets and replace the factory grease with Team Associated Green Slime and there isn't an option with a similar quality and feature set at that price range on the market.

Reactions: st748
Educate them on "buy once cry once", and then remind them later when they are shopping for scopes again. I've been through the same same with people I know, too many times to count.

In the $300-400 range it's near impossible to beat the Athlon Argos scopes. Clean the turrets and replace the factory grease with Team Associated Green Slime and there isn't an option with a similar quality and feature set at that price range on the market.

True but I'll point out it's the Argos "BTR FFP" options that are the ones to be considered vs the SFP Argos line, and if those friends could squeeze out a couple hundred more, the TAC series with APRS3 reticle would be a worthwhile upgrade over the Argos BTR's.

IMO the TAC's are "THE" scope to buy if wanting bang for the buck right now.
These have great glass, great click feel that's followed by a satisfyingly loud click sound and indicators line up well, 10 mil knobs, focuses as close as 10Y, a zero stop that can be adjusted anywhere you want it, great build quality with that just right feeling in the controls, not heavy or long for the mag range and good reticles. It's crazy the level of refinement you get for the price!

Another option is the Sightron S-TAC. They have come out with some new models and the older ones are on sale in your price range. My buddy has one and they are very nice for the money. I don't think they are FFP but might take a look depending on their needs.

Frustrating isn't it. You'll be hard pressed to convince them that optics make an incredible difference.
+1 on the S-Tac, I have the 2.5-17. it is a damn fine scope, it is SFP but that doesn't stop you from making hits.
I went with the 2.5-17 because it was mil/mil, the 3-16 and 4-20 are available in moa/moa.
The new FFP 4-20 will be available in mil/mil but will come in at a higher price point.
The glass in these is quite good, the adjustments are typical sightron, very reliable and accurate. In the unlikely event you need service, the warranty is painless and fast.
https://www.amazon.com/Sightron-260...&qid=1548866825&sr=8-3&keywords=sightron+stac

Reactions: lash
True but I'll point out it's the Argos "BTR FFP" options that are the ones to be considered vs the SFP Argos line, and if those friends could squeeze out a couple hundred more, the TAC series with APRS3 reticle would be a worthwhile upgrade over the Argos BTR's.

IMO the TAC's are "THE" scope to buy if wanting bang for the buck right now.
These have great glass, great click feel that's followed by a satisfyingly loud click sound and indicators line up well, 10 mil knobs, focuses as close as 10Y, a zero stop that can be adjusted anywhere you want it, great build quality with that just right feeling in the controls, not heavy or long for the mag range and good reticles. It's crazy the level of refinement you get for the price!
I agree, the Midas Tac is absolutely the way to go if you can stretch the budget a little bit. I didn't even realize they made SFP Argos scopes, to be entirely honest. I've got an Argos BTR 8-34x56 and while I'd recommend the 6-24 model (it gets pretty dark at 34x), I'm pretty happy with it for the price I paid. Doesn't hold a candle to something like my PMII or even the Ares ETR, but it's a great scope for hunting (I hunt in the timber and stuff gets beat up, don't want something expensive on my rifle) or people just looking to dip their toes in.

Reactions: steve123
Educate them on "buy once cry once", and then remind them later when they are shopping for scopes again. I've been through the same same with people I know, too many times to count.
it's not that big of deal, i still have my weaver 3x9 on a Remington model 6 243 that i bought back in 1984. Still works great. Owning and starting out with a less expensive scope is actually a good way to go. Maybe they will shoot a few boxes of shells , stick the gun in the safe, and that't that. Why have even a $500 scope sitting on the rifle if it's not going to be used? And let's face it, $300 will buy u one hulluva lot better scope now then it did 10 years ago. I've got the 10X SWFA and love it. I also will be receiving my NF MIL-XT Friday by UPS. Buy once cry once? They aren't going to lose much off the purchase price of a $300 scope. Just because i can afford a $3500 scope now, doesn't mean i regret the cheap ones i started with. Someone's always in the market for one. Just my 2cents worth from a guy who started out with $100 scopes and would do it the same way all over again.

it's not that big of deal, i still have my weaver 3x9 on a Remington model 6 243 that i bought back in 1984. Still works great. Owning and starting out with a less expensive scope is actually a good way to go. Maybe they will shoot a few boxes of shells , stick the gun in the safe, and that't that. Why have even a $500 scope sitting on the rifle if it's not going to be used? And let's face it, $300 will buy u one hulluva lot better scope now then it did 10 years ago. I've got the 10X SWFA and love it. I also will be receiving my NF MIL-XT Friday by UPS. Buy once cry once? They aren't going to lose much off the purchase price of a $300 scope. Just because i can afford a $3500 scope now, doesn't mean i regret the cheap ones i started with. Someone's always in the market for one. Just my 2cents worth from a guy who started out with $100 scopes and would do it the same way all over again.
I agree with this sentiment. Buy once, cry once is more important once you know you'll keep shooting. For a beginner a low-budget scope is a good entry to the sport without much risk, since you can get out and shoot sooner without setting yourself back much if you want to upgrade later.

The second scope purchase is where I'd buy once, cry once. Once I knew I wanted to keep shooting a lot I upgraded from my Argos BTR to an Ares ETR. It was a big jump in quality, to be sure, but I ended up selling the ETR and buying a S&B because I ended up still feeling like I wanted something more. I know I'm not going to stop shooting anytime soon, so this scope will see years of use and the purchase price became much less important as a result.

The Vortex Diamondback might be a nice option. I have one on my NRL22 rifle and a it’s a decent feeling scope in that process range. I did prefer this over the lower end Athlon scopes; merely a personal ergonomic preference.

Mr. 30-06 may be a lost cause. But, if these are friends of yours, take them out with your setup. Let them shoot a pile of ammo. Explain the features of the optic and why you chose this one. What would you change on your current optic? What could you live without? Be prepared to give options with similar features. If it's a scope you wouldn't buy, don't bother. It's a lot of effort to educate someone- too much if they don't want to learn.

I think the vortex diamond back tac is a great option (on paper). But, no zero stop is a hard pill to swallow, after having a number of scopes with it.

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
I've used and recommended SWFA SS scopes to a ton of people and we've all been happy with them. That said if they don't like SWFA have them check out Athlon lots of people are running them and love them.

+1 for talking to @gr8fuldoug he will get your buddies squared away.

When I was starting out, I thought high magnification made for the
"best" scope. Maybe your friends have their own ideas.

Since they are resistant to your brand advice, you might try an educational approach by creating a list of scope characteristics--tracking, glass, magnification, etc.--and then letting your friends rank them. Let them explain to you why they have ranked the way they have. Encourage where they were on the right track, and dispel some of their misconceptions. Then with your new list, see what scopes fall within the price point.

Nik

I understand what you mean, but the guy with the most experience (30-06 guy) was singing me the praises of the tasco scope he had on his "old -06" and the other guy was shooting with irons.
They should be very happy with these options.

Don't make fun of us "old 06' " guys..

I shot everything under the sun in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming for years with an old Remington 30-06 topped with a $75 Bushnell Sportview 4-12. Never regretted having it for one second.. never let me down once. ;)

Kevin, I can recommend Doug at Cameraland. He set me up with a very good spotting scope as part of a package deal. Great service and my optics arrived in perfect shape.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I have told both of them about "used items" on the hide, calguns and eBay.....cameraland, Natchez and midway specials. They seemed to shrug off used optics.

The guy with the 30-06 bought his scope last night from a midway clearance sale. He didn't state which Bushnell he got but he did say it was $150 off and he paid $350 for it....should be a decent scope. His wants were 30mm mil dot
And capped turrets. Not sure if he checked all the boxes with his purchase.

The other guy is looking real hard at the earlier mentioned primary arms 6.5C scope. Remember he is limited at shooting and watched the YouTube video explaining the reticle. So he feels that might be better.

They have shot with several of my scopes but I have only a weaver tactical 3-10x40 with mil dot in there price range.
While I like the weaver for the application I use it for (it sits on top of my side charging "community " AR, I do not think it fits there application's.

Once again thanks for all your help.............

AND DOUG FROM CAMERALAND---------I will be giving you a call Soon........I just picked up a Howa 22-250
That needs one of those MEOPTA scopes I think.....

So back to the issue at hand..........

The guy with the 6.5C wanted the primary arms scope with the creedmoor specific reticle, but doesn`t want to wait.
So here is the issue......he has bumped up his money to $600, i have a burris xtrll 4-20 that i will sale him for that price.
Is there a better scope for $600?

I am going to put my .02 in this thread, which is probably not worth the .02. I have the primary arms 4-14 mil dot ffp scope on 2 rifles, I love it. for $229 retail,, I bought both mine for quite less off armslist. Have had zero issues. But, if they want something with a little more magnification, go with the Athlon. I got mine on amazon for like $287. I have not mounted it on a rifle yet but with all the reviews I do not think I will be disappointed.

Nikon Monarch, Vortex Crossfire and Leupold VX-R are all ones on the lower end of the spectrum I've had on centerfires. Didn't have an issue with any of them. I thought the Nikons were surprisingly clear and bright for their cost. Probably not beating the XTR for that price either.