• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I just can’t striker fire

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
I’ve shot numerous striker fired guns and even carried one for years as a LEO but man I just don’t like the feel of any I’ve tried. I’m too much of a 1911 guy I suppose.

Attachments

• F2294717-178F-44F5-943A-58B51E7CB097.jpeg
    F2294717-178F-44F5-943A-58B51E7CB097.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 121
I'm a recovering 1911 addict, but I must say that is a fine looking pistola. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve shot numerous striker fired guns and even carried one for years as a LEO but man I just don’t like the feel of any I’ve tried. I’m too much of a 1911 guy I suppose.
I know what you mean. I am ashamed to admit it, but I just bought a Glock 34. (Shame! Shame!) The trigger is like 10 miles of bad road.

I started off at a very young age shooting cap and ball percussion revolvers as well as modern big-bore revolvers so I am thoroughly accustomed to having an external hammer on a gun.

That is why I am a hardcore 1911 guy. There is something about being able to decock a gun by easing the hammer down that gives me peace of mind. But now, having owned striker fired handguns as well, I've come to get used to and appreciate their function too. I still rely on my 1911 and Model 1873 revolvers as my main defensive guns but I might get another Glock to replace the one that I sold some years ago, this time in .45 ACP though.

Last edited:

And that is just fine! I was drug to the Gaston guns myself and still carry them CCW but no other gun shoots and points as easy, IMHO.

Reactions: chasedeer
I have run the race on pistols. SA, DA, DAO, striker. You know what i found out? The weight of the pistol is directly related to how well i shoot it.

A typical DA or SA metal frame i shoot better then a plastic fantastic gun.

But i CCH a G19 lol

I’ve got 7 Glocks 17,22,27,34,41,42,43. Definitely not a “Glockfanboy”. I do like them yes however, all seven of them combined can’t hold a candle to my Baer. Always been a huge fan of the 1911 and I in no way think it to be an outdated platform.

If you are a 1911 guy who wants the benefits of the modern polymer striker fired guns, try a CZ P10. I have shot one and it is absolutely amazing. It feels like shooting a nice 1911 type pistol and the trigger is unbelievable.

Reactions: dc451718
I'm the opposite. I don't shoot anything as well as I can shoot a well tuned S&W revolver, in double action.

I've never had a 1911 and most likely never will. They do absolutely nothing for me.

I don't mind striker fired, I'm not really a fan of poly frames and trigger components though. I liked the triggers on my old Walther PPQ and PPS, but it's different than a good SA hammer. Between a DW Wraith 1911 and a 92A1 with Wilson Combat trigger work, I prefer the 92 in SA to the DW SA, even though the DW is a "better" trigger all around. I guess what I should say is that my groups prefer the 92, but from a tactile perspective the 1911 is slightly more refined.

Reactions: 65Bowite
It’s nice to see I’m not the only person that likes a nice Berreta 92 these days. I don’t prefer it over my 1911, but I’d take a Berreta 92 any day of the week over a Sig. Nothing wrong with Sig just not my cup of tea.

Highpoints and Jimenez .22LR revolvers kill more people in shootings in America every year than any other firearm lol ?

HiPoints are maligned.

The owner is very receptive to ensuring his product is not a tool of crime and his intent is bringing the second amendment to the masses.

Im glad I have the resources to avoid them but for those that dont.......they are the solution.

If they are used in crime it is because they are stolen from their needed existence in high crime areas.

Yea, Hipoints get a bad rap because of all the dindu nuffins they get used for in low income areas. I have a friend that bought a broken one of their models for $40, not sure what was wrong with it, probably just malfunctions. They fixed it at no charge, he just paid shipping. It worked just fine after that, it's still his shed gun for opossums and whatnots.

. I have a friend that bought a broken one of their models for $40, not sure what was wrong with it, probably just malfunctions. They fixed it at no charge, he just paid shipping. It worked just fine after that, it's still his shed gun for opossums and whatnots.
If you get it for less than a hundo and don't expect to rely on it to save your life, it's a good deal.

IF you pay more than $100 for it or you expect to bet your life on it, go a little further and get this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797340689

I was never a big striker fire guy until I got a VP9. I feel like HK did something right when they came out with the VP pistols.

That VP9 has led me down a dark road. I know own a couple Glocks too.

None of them shoot like my CZ shadows or my old raced out 1911s. But for the price Glocks and VPs are pretty awesome.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I just jumped to the dark side my self. Switched from glocks and M&P pro. Looking to get back into 3gun and figured how’s the time to upgrade. Just picked it up yesterday and loving it. Still going to carry my glocks for chl.

Attachments

• 26B99DF0-25E4-4124-940C-C4A2A046E1B3.jpeg
    26B99DF0-25E4-4124-940C-C4A2A046E1B3.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 60
I know it’s not that popular but I like to keep in the da/sa actions preferably with just decocker. Have tried glocks, sig, Walther, SW strikers but just no my preference.

I was never a big striker fire guy until I got a VP9. I feel like HK did something right when they came out with the VP pistols.
That VP9 has led me down a dark road. I know own a couple Glocks too.
None of them shoot like my CZ shadows or my old raced out 1911s. But for the price Glocks and VPs are pretty awesome.

The VP9/VP40 is a very nicely built pistol if you want a striker fire, it has great ergonomics & an excellent factory trigger.
In my opinion it's a nice step up from the Glocks.

In my case however, I'm just not comfortable carrying a striker fired gun and stick with DA/SA for my daily carry.
Usually between a H&K, SIG or CZ

Reactions: Novak77
I just jumped to the dark side my self. Switched from glocks and M&P pro. Looking to get back into 3gun and figured how’s the time to upgrade. Just picked it up yesterday and loving it. Still going to carry my glocks for chl.

Sure is hard to get warmed up to other pistols, "after going to the dark side" like you say!

I used to mess around with ABC, 123, you know, basically anything I could try out or afford, it was kinda fun experimenting. I gave up and sold a bunch of handguns after I settled on the STI 2011.

I do have a few regular pistols left....

It actually looks pretty intimidating...

Kind of like a MAC-10 with the boxy receiver and the threaded barrel. I used to own a Hi-Point JHP .45. That thing was a beast and I had never experienced a FTF out of it. It fed FMJ's, Critical Defense / Duty and mixed power handloads just fine.

I might get one of the new upgraded C-9's just to have around as an all-purpose premises pistol as well as a range plinker. It is hard to beat that $200 price tag.

By the way, folks who appreciate budget priced 9mm handguns will have more to choose from this year too. Even Mossberg has gotten into the game.

Last edited:
It actually looks pretty intimidating...

Kind of like a MAC-10 with the boxy receiver and the threaded barrel. I used to own a Hi-Point JHP .45. That thing was a beast and I had never experienced a FTF out of it. It fed FMJ's, Critical Defense / Duty and mixed power handloads just fine.

I might get one of the new upgraded C-9's just to have around as an all-purpose premises pistol as well as a range plinker. It is hard to beat that $200 price tag.

I see Hi Points frequently enough for the wrong reasons.

They are a brick of a gun and truth be told an extra week of savings for an old S&W revolver would be a good decision.

Still I applaud Hi Points mission to bring 2A to those least able to afford it and probably live in areas where there is a need.

I see Hi Points frequently enough for the wrong reasons.

They are a brick of a gun and truth be told an extra week of savings for an old S&W revolver would be a good decision.

Still I applaud Hi Points mission to bring 2A to those least able to afford it and probably live in areas where there is a need.

As someone who has had first hand experience working with those guns, I couldn't give enough kudos to your comment. Spot on, man.

The super-budget guns like the Hi-Point fills this niche though: If I were ever to be faced with a SD situation where shots had to be fired, I would part with a Hi-Point far more easily than an old S&W revolver which may carry heirloom and collector's value. Hi-Points are replaceable and if mine were to be sitting in an evidence locker without cleaning or maintenance for the duration of the investigation, I would be able to sleep much easier every night than if my .357 Ruger or Auto-Ordnance 1911 were involved.

The gangbangers and street thugs have given it a bad reputation, but then, what gun have they not given a bad reputation too? But you know what is funny? In hardcore rap lyrics, nobody has ever mentioned a 'Hi-Point'. It is usually always a 'Glock', or 'AR', 'nine', 'ratchet', or simply a 'gat'. Maybe it is hard to find something that rhymes with Hi-Point. Or maybe they simply don't know better and think that every black polymer framed pistol is a Glock.

Last edited:
I shoot striker fired guns just fine and don't mind the triggers...I just like hammer fired DA/SA or DAO pistols a lot better and shoot them as well. So we only own one striker fired gun and it's my Wife's G42. I suspect it'll go the way of the others soon as she prefers and carries either a Sig P238 or a Browning 1911 .380 as she loves that platform and is very proficient with it.

Love the striker fired guns but they jumped the shark for me when the concept of polymer frames extended past Glock and into popular use. I like Glocks....I just like hammer fired better.

VooDoo

Reactions: Novak77
If the Hudson H9 had/will come into its own I would really dig one I think. It is striker fired and they make a steel frame version. However, if anyone is interested in the H9 I'd take a gander at Hudson's FB page and read the comments.
product-intro-image-mobile.jpg

I shoot striker fired guns just fine and don't mind the triggers...I just like hammer fired DA/SA or DAO pistols a lot better and shoot them as well. So we only own one striker fired gun and it's my Wife's G42. I suspect it'll go the way of the others soon as she prefers and carries either a Sig P238 or a Browning 1911 .380 as she loves that platform and is very proficient with it.

Love the striker fired guns but they jumped the shark for me when the concept of polymer frames extended past Glock and into popular use. I like Glocks....I just like hammer fired better.

VooDoo

My wife's bedside pistol is a G42, if we didn't live in California it would most likely be a Browning 1911 in .380. I've lusted after the little 1911 ever since Browning started making them lol. The G42s were easier to find even though they're off list.

One day we will move and then we can have whatever we want.

Mama loved her G42 when I had a G26 and a G43 and she wanted something with less recoil being as she is a 60ish 100 pound 5' tall old lady and a 10 year cancer survivor...her gun "back in the day" was a Colt Officers ACP in .45 and she was really scary good with it. Times change and she can't rack that gun any more but loves the platform. She loved the G42 when we first got it and shoots it like a pro, Then she shot a Sig P238 in .380 and it was instant love because she loves the 1911 platform and is totally familiar with all the controls.

Then I got her a Browning 1911 .380 which is a 85% scaled 1911 with a polymer frame and she freaked. Hasn't shot nor trained with the Glock 42 since.

1911.380.jpeg

Her Old Love platform 1911 in a caliber and size she can love again. She can rack it and control it in rapid fire in a way that makes me fully confident she can defend herself. Longer sight radius and super trigger. Way better for her than the G42 which will probably get sold to buy her a 1911 .380 Compact to go with her full size.

We love our striker fired guns but simply have gravitated thru training and necessity to other guns.

VooDoo

You should also look at the RIA .22TCM in the 1911 or 2011 style pistols. All the goodness of a full size pistol, but a slide that racks back and forth like it's nothing and almost no recoil to boot. But very hard hitting rounds.

You have to put in the effort to learn it, if you want to. I had to coming from custom CZ's. Wanted to gouge my eyes out at first but it will come around.

IF you train with a 1911, they are fine....

I recall on a FATS not disengaging the safety.... the early years.... before I was trained to ride the safety during shooting....

Pointing in and the gun not firing reset the OODA Loop

Tap, rack flip - and no rack flip

Brain freeze... oh safety.....

Mixing Poly striker guns and 1911 Safety guns is dangerous as your thumb gets an additional job with the 1911

I shot USPSA/IPSC for years with 2011 and 1911 platform pistols carrying price tags upwards of 6k. When I stopped shooting competitively, I switched to striker fired pistols for carry and for home defense. For capacity and concealability it is hard to beat a good striker fired pistol.

I shot USPSA/IPSC for years with 2011 and 1911 platform pistols carrying price tags upwards of 6k. When I stopped shooting competitively, I switched to striker fired pistols for carry and for home defense. For capacity and concealability it is hard to beat a good striker fired pistol.

Love 1911s and 2011s... still make for some of the finest race guns on the planet... but cost is not the only reason pretty much no one issues them at scale any more.

For those who shoot high volume with their 1911's or want to shoot high volume but are put off by recoil / price of ammo...whatever reasons, there are really good quality drop-in kits that you can use. No modifications required, just change the barrel / slide assembly and magazine and you can shoot as much .22 LR as you want.

I have one of these. Picked it up when it was on sale for a cool and breezy $239. Even now it hasn't gone up that much. I would run through an entire box of .22 LR in a couple of hours on a typical range afternoon with it. Great target practice and using the same 1911 platform that I am familiar with and trust for life-saving situations.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...s&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=117971

Wilson-Combat-Marvel-1911-22-Conversion-Kit.jpg

I am very happy with the Officer's ACP. It is slim and carries well, and being a 1911, it has superb ergonomics. Having carried 1911's, two of them over the last two decades, I truly find myself looking for the perfect carry gun all the time. As my personal preference narrowed down the specific attributes of a carry gun based on what I was comfortable with, I have resigned to the fact that I do not want any additional safety mechanisms to contend with in a SD situation. The manual safety being the main issue to me. Others opinions may vary and yes there are certainly means of getting used to it, all I am stating is that through experience I personally prefer rock solid reliability and no manual movements to engage a threat. In particular, I really love the DA/SA on my new Sig

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I use to be 1911 only as thats what I started with in 1964 but shed them about 8 years ago an have never looked back., or regretted it to-date. Only have two hammer guns left (1 FN & 1 SIG) an when they're gone there well be no more for me. Anything I buy now is striker fired only. Guess alot depends upon what the tool or toy is for.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
I shoot my expensive 2011 far better but I’d much prefer to shoot the bad guys with a $600 Glock since I won’t be seeing it for a year or more afterwards....

I’d like to get a revolver and pump shotgun again not because they’re my first choice but it’d be good to retain some familiarity with popular weapons you might reallly need to use someday.

The super-budget guns like the Hi-Point fills this niche though: If I were ever to be faced with a SD situation where shots had to be fired, I would part with a Hi-Point far more easily than an old S&W revolver which may carry heirloom and collector's value. Hi-Points are replaceable and if mine were to be sitting in an evidence locker without cleaning or maintenance for the duration of the investigation, I would be able to sleep much easier every night than if my .357 Ruger or Auto-Ordnance 1911 were involved.
I feel the same way. I used to carry a Colt LWC, but finally got to the point where I don't care to risk having a tragedy befall it or my old Hi-Power.
Not being a striker fire or plastic frame fan, I picked up a Canik TP9SA and a Walther PPS M1 for EDC anyway, and I have to say that the trigger and reset on the Canik is pretty tolerable. The PPS M1 shoots well enough and it's very easy to conceal, but the trigger and lengthy reset suck.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I agree, Glocks feel like shit but due to simplicity, reliability and "good enough" accuracy, they account for every auto carry pistol I own.

I have a 1006 but don't carry it, don't trust it like I do the Glocks. It's a cool ass pistol though.

Sure is hard to get warmed up to other pistols, "after going to the dark side" like you say!

I used to mess around with ABC, 123, you know, basically anything I could try out or afford, it was kinda fun experimenting. I gave up and sold a bunch of handguns after I settled on the STI 2011.

I do have a few regular pistols left....
Once you go up you can never go back down.

Reactions: steve123