• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I Know It Isn’t Just Me

This thread sucks!

I already know that I want a nice .22 since I started with my Savage MKII a few years ago. My budget is maxed at about CZ 457. Then there’s the stock, the optic...

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
Browsed here for a few months before buying, so thanks for helping me avoid a few steps and save some $$$. Anyone else enjoy the process of tuning and tinkering? Shooting a small group is OK, its the process to get there that's fantastic. Buying a vudoo would take away half the fun ;)

T1x, oryx chassis, PST II 3-15x44, warne rings, area 419 rail, sterk handle, harris bipod with t-nuts lock, and yodave spring. Only regret is the 3-15 mag range, I doubt I can make out holes past 100 yards.

1-1.25 MOA at 100 yards with CCI SV, waiting on some SK match so see if I can tighten that up. Also still learning fundamentals.

2020-04-11 19.16.42 - Copy.jpg

jbell, WOW! I think you are even a bigger rimfire whore than I am.? Those are some really nice rifles. Someday after I win lotto and my big check comes in I plan to buy all the rifles and optics I want so I don’t need to sell one to pay for another.

jbell, WOW! I think you are even a bigger rimfire whore than I am.? Those are some really nice rifles. Someday after I win lotto and my big check comes in I plan to buy all the rifles and optics I want so I don’t need to sell one to pay for another.

Yeah, I hear ya! But at least this way it’s like an evolution with the goal being they keep getting better.

I still enjoy shooting my 223 bolt more than anything else, but there are many advantages for rimfire in my life:

1. my daughter enjoys shooting them and we do matches together (it can all begin and end right here as the single most important reason for me)

2. I can grab ammo out of the safe and go - no loading

3. it’s not very loud - I shoot off my back porch and in my backyard up to 115 yards

I see myself buying a Bergara B14 R, or Vudoo, or RimX sometime in the next year. When I do, I can see the possibility of small-bore becoming my favorite.

That’s my .02, and worth what you all paid for it.
Thanks

Yes, those are all 5 shot groups. It shoots Eley Contact and Eley Force amazing. It shoots most of the SK ammo I have tried really well also but it doesn’t like not match ammo at all.
Dave, that target is so amazing I had to ask. It would be great if you posted to the 6X5 thread with pics of your rifle and a description
of how you have set it up as well as the enviros. when you shot the target. If you take all four of the iterations of the 6X5 your target is number six in the seven years of the thread. If one looks at the rifles used there is only one that might be close to the investment you have in the Tikka. The other four would cost multiples of yours. You had an amazing day.

The really odd thing about my Tikka is it shoots a few different ammo’s amazing and pretty much shoots everything else like crap. I shot those groups then switched to Eley Edge which is a much more expensive ammo and it looked like a shot gun. It would put 2-3 on top of each other then throw the next two 1 1/2” outside the group at 50 yards. It shoots Eley Force and Contact really well but Most other ammo not that great. I have tried a few differentp SK ammos which it seems to shoot pretty well but nothing like it shoots Contact or Force. It just baffles me because those aren’t traditionally that accurate.

Before I ever submitted a target I would use some ballistic software and plot out the shots and let a computer plot the groups. There is just too much room for human error with a set of calipers measuring by eye. I would guess if I did that those numbers would be a little higher for the group sizes. Maybe when we have some good conditions I will go out and shoot another one and see if that day was just a fluke.

Reactions: rick137
Before I ever submitted a target I would use some ballistic software and plot out the shots and let a computer plot the groups. There is just too much room for human error with a set of calipers measuring by eye. I would guess if I did that those numbers would be a little higher for the group sizes. Maybe when we have some good conditions I will go out and shoot another one and see if that day was just a fluke.

I understand what your saying, but it really isn’t a big deal if your measurements are not exactly correct. It’s all in fun but I feel like it is a good representation of what rimfires are capable of.

"Inquiring minds want to know". I get almost all my info. on SH. I rarely shoot with others. I live on a small farm out of the way. I can't compare scopes, stocks, triggers, etc. What I can do is walk off the back deck and start shooting. That includes elk (they are actually a PITA ), black tail, ducks ( the front deck), geese, snipe, coyotes, etc and my 50yd and 100yd ranges are my driveway. You get the idea. If I wanted real answers about a .22 I would come here and the first thread I would check is the 6X5.

As far as a target app. OK-----or not. Posters have been using dial indicator calipers for years. The point is to share pertinent info. What your target shows is that, on the right day, with the right shooter, the right ammo and the right rifle, a guy with a $1500. rifle can compete against rifles costing many multiples of that figure. That's an important lesson. I hope you will put the target up.

If I wanted real answers about a .22 I would come here and the first thread I would check is the 6X5.
Internet games are fun, though I think the real benefit is encouragement for people to get out and shoot. Peer pressure is great as it pertains to moving people from the couch to behind a rifle! :)

As for learning what rifles are capable of what... I don't know if I'd be ready to anoint the internet (any site) as super useful in that capacity. I recall someone on this site recommending a savage MkII over Anschutz 54's. They even offered up any number of tiny tiny groups as evidence. Probably shot at 10 yards... but proof none the less!

Years and years ago... there were postal matches. You needed "x" number of witnesses for your submission to be valid. Lots of places hosted them. I recall being involved in one. It was fun... however, I always wondered..."How are these people shooting like this? Are they all in tunnels? Are they all super rich and have crazy rifles and ammo? How are all these guys sending these incredible targets?" Then one day I ventured down to the local range. (back when I actually went to square ranges) I witness 4 guys shooting the 50yd match target, at a distance of about 18yds. That day taught me that a large number of shooters lie about their targets. The more anonymous the platform, the higher percentage of lies. When I was young, I thought the number of cheaters was small. Then I started entering coyote calling competitions. Life teaches you very quickly that when no one is there to watch, a huge number of people will stretch the truth or outright lie for glory and money.

I still participate in some friendly little online competitions and displays of skill. However, I've long since put any stock in what I see unless I was there to witness it as it happened. That's why I shoot live, or at the very least, recorded. Its a requirement, if I expect anyone to believe what I'm showing. So post those targets. As many of them as you can. Be honest, and encourage others to do so, because the false expectation set forth by cheaters targets only hurt the newest and most vulnerable shooters.

In the spirit of this thread, I'd have to post at least 5 separate posts, due to picture limits, to show all the 22lr's I've owned since the beginning. Instead, I'll post a few of my favorites I've been shooting recently. All of which I presently own, along with many more.

"Inquiring minds want to know". I get almost all my info. on SH. I rarely shoot with others. I live on a small farm out of the way. I can't compare scopes, stocks, triggers, etc. What I can do is walk off the back deck and start shooting. That includes elk (they are actually a PITA ), black tail, ducks ( the front deck), geese, snipe, coyotes, etc and my 50yd and 100yd ranges are my driveway. You get the idea. If I wanted real answers about a .22 I would come here and the first thread I would check is the 6X5.

As far as a target app. OK-----or not. Posters have been using dial indicator calipers for years. The point is to share pertinent info. What your target shows is that, on the right day, with the right shooter, the right ammo and the right rifle, a guy with a $1500. rifle can compete against rifles costing many multiples of that figure. That's an important lesson. I hope you will put the target up.

I vary rarely post groups. In fact I think that is only the second target I have ever posted A target. I Just don’t place that much stock in them and don’t really like shooting for groups. I do it to test new ammo or develop loads and that is about it. In this case I had an exceptionally good lot of ammo that shot amazing in my rifle and perfect conditions. Since I shot that target I have tested a few other lots of that ammo and haven’t been able to get those kind of groups with it again but honestly for positional shooting I don’t need .5 moa accuracy. I would also say that isn’t representative of what that rifle is capable of since I haven’t been able to repeat it. That day was an exception and not the norm. In general with the ammo I have tested since it seems to consistently shoot .3’s which is more than adequate for my needs and about the same as my Vudoo. You will also always have people who want to jump in and call you a liar or whatever. I have seen a few centerfire targets in the past that I personally would have thrown a bullshit flag on if I hadn’t seen them shot myself so I understand. I once watched a guy shoot a group at 600 yards that I would have called a decent group at 100. I never would have dreamed someone could shoot a 1” group at that range. In the end I think it was a lot of skill and probably just as much luck for him. He actually framed the target and I see it every time I go to his shop. In the end this is about getting out and having fun. If you enjoy shooting groups and posting in a friendly online competition, great. That just isn’t my idea of fun. I like to get out and set up steel and shoot off barricades with friends. As has been said I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in groups you see posted on Internet forums. At any rate, we are getting off topic. I think we were talking about how much money we have all dumped into the rimfire rabbit hole.

Reactions: 1911Operator
I should also ask if I‘m the only one with an ammo hoarding problem. I just keep buying rimfire ammo. I always think I just need a case of this ammo or that ammo and I’ll be good. It doesn’t help that my sons and I shoot 4 different rifles and only two like the same ammo.

I should also ask if I‘m the only one with an ammo hoarding problem. I just keep buying rimfire ammo. I always think I just need a case of this ammo or that ammo and I’ll be good. It doesn’t help that my sons and I shoot 4 different rifles and only two like the same ammo.

I have a bunch of bulk rimfire that I realized I am never going to shoot so finally decided to sell it locally. I have a few bricks of target ammo I'll keep. It's nice to have multiple brands on hand when you get a new rifle and need to ammo test

When the 2008 election hit and .22 became scarce (and expensive) for the first time in my life, I decided I’d start buying up a stockpile for myself whenever ammo prices finally fell. Queue the 2016 election, and suddenly I could buy Federal AutoMatch, CCI MiniMags, and CCI SV everywhere. I often found the AutoMatch on sale for under $0.04/round shipped and don’t think I ever bought MiniMags or SV for more than $0.06/round shipped. I placed an order of a few thousand of whatever each time I found a good deal. I don’t really own a rimfire worthy of shooting Lapua or Eley anyways. The other day I took an inventory, and realized I have almost 25k rounds of .22.

I don’t ever want to run out of .22 while my kids are young. I remember being a kid and running around the woods with my friends and our .22’s and having a ball. I don’t want my kids to miss out on those memories and plan to be well stocked no matter how many cattails, tadpoles, and pop cans they can shoot.

Orkan, you may have the honor of being a bigger cynic than I am.

Now to the original intent of this post. The Weatherby MK XXII started it all. I bought it around 1972 and it was my
full oly history 084.JPG
my first .22 rifle. I bought it in 1973. When I learned what Center-X was I tried it in the MKII and it shot a 6X5 and it avg. .684".
1586980559120.jpeg

This is a Browning 52C re-intro. I learned about these on RFC while trying to learn about 52C Targets for the 6x5. I had always admired the Sporters and decided to scratch two itches at once. It's just under 8.5#s with a 3# trigger and shot a .313" avg. 6X5.

Reactions: orkan
I was so pleased with the 52 I started hunting for another one for my grandkids and I happened onto this at an auction site on-line.

1586987749759.jpeg

It's a '67 Super Match. It has all the accessories except a butt hook and otherwise is 99%. A dead honest time machine. It shot a .308" avg. on about the 2nd or third 6X5 and I put it up.
I have a lot of damage to my hands and single loading drove me nuts. Haven't touched it since.
1586987749759.jpeg

The current project is a T1X. I paid about $435. for it and it's performance amazes me. Here's it's best target so far.

P1010004.JPG

Where to next? Well, for now I'm going to keep working on the T1X. I've never lot tested ammo. I've always just ordered bricks of Center-X and gone on my way. I'll probably give lot testing a go.

Is a Vudoo or Zermatt build in the future. The Vudoo has tempted me for some time. It's not only about the accuracy of a Vudoo but also about VGW. Their support of their product is second to none.

Sorry about the multiple pics of the 54. I can't figure out how to get rid of them.

Quarter Horse, I‘ll bet you could shrink your groups even more if you get that grand kid to give you a hand building a nice solid shooting bench. Something anchored to some posts that will not move. I’ve tried shooting off non anchored benches before and always give up and just go prone.

Quarter Horse, I‘ll bet you could shrink your groups even more if you get that grand kid to give you a hand building a nice solid shooting bench. Something anchored to some posts that will not move. I’ve tried shooting off non anchored benches before and always give up and just go prone.

That poor old table has absorbed more criticism than you can possibly imagine. It weighs 16.5#, has four legs and there are never more than three legs on the ground. You have to load the table before you load your bi-pod to have a semblance of stability. If I built a bench I would lose an obvious excuse. As for going prone, thanks for the compliment. I'm just short of seventy three years old and if I was prone for long enough to shoot a 6X5 I probably would be stuck there. That would mean I might have to wait for my wife to find me. She has a sense of humor and there is no telling where that could lead.

Reactions: Merlin O