• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes I know its been covered but can't decide NF/Leup

RedRaider271

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
DFW Texas
I know this topic has been covered hundreds of times, but I just can't decide which way to go. I have been a long time leupold guy for hunting and had a mark 4 6.5x20x50 once, mildot SFP. I ended up selling it with my rifle, had good luck with it. Now I have a new Rem 5R 308, and I want to get a good set of glass with all the features but I am just not sure if I should shell out the $ for a nightforce or go with another Mark 4 in FFP. I plan on hunting, target shooting and once i get sick of 3 gun, I may try to start getting into some matches for fun. I like the nightforce, and I like the leupold, but in my situation as a beginner long range shooter, is it worth the extra cash. I found a 6,5x20x50 TMR FFP for right at $1500, or NF for $2300+.... I don't want to buy one and wish later I bought something else, but don't want to waste unnecessary money either...learned that in 3 gun buy once cry once. Appreciate any feedback,

Re: I know its been covered but can't decide NF/Leup

I have that model Leupold and have been very happy with it. I wanted FFP so I have one less thing to think about in comps. The only thing I wish it had was a zero stop, but I can make that from a properly sized flat washer when I get the time. I really like the open center of the TMR too

Me and my dad debate this every time I talk to him. Now I don't like FFP scopes but I have a fixed 10x and the 4.5-14x Mark 4 and a 5.5-22 NXS and gotta say, seriously thinking about selling both the Leupolds just to get one more Nightforce. Buy once and cry tears of joy every time you look through it at the range.

ask some of the fellers that were at 762's house this weekend, we compared a few side by side. Not getting into a full review, and FOR THE MONEY my advice is get the MK4, or an HDMR for only slightly more duckets

comparitin.jpg

I've owned both and shot both side by side. For my money, I'll buy NF over Leupold.

ETA:

If I was looking at the F1, I'd save a little extra cash and go ahead and get one of the big boys second-hand like an S&B, Premiere, etc.

I'd go with the Bushnell HDMR G2 over the Leupy. I would take a NF over both. The is also the Vortex Razor that might interest you and Super Sniper. You can get a brand new NF for under 2K. Give Chris a call at sportoptics.com. He'll hook you up.

My vote is as follows:
1 HDMR G2
2 Razor for FFP
3 NightForce
4 a mason jar
5 a shot glass
6 eyeglass lenses and duck tape
7 Leupold

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send-it</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is as follows:
1 HDMR G2
2 Razor for FFP
3 NightForce
4 a mason jar
5 a shot glass
6 eyeglass lenses and duck tape
7 Leupold
</div></div>

I'll trade anyone a mason jar for their Leupold!

Unless you're going to spend 2k+ I would look at the 1k or thereabouts scopes. Bushnell HDMR, Vortex PST etc.

There are a couple threads at the top of this forum that might help you figure out the sort of scope you want: one's called optics selection and the other is optics FAQ.

nightforce between the ones mentioned but it still isn't my go to scope.