• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I Looked at a GA Precision Rifle Yesterday...

Flatbush Harry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
Colorado
...that one of the guys at my LGS had gotten three weeks ago. I was struck by the obvious quality of workmanship, attention to detail and overall excellence of the build. The rifle was a Thunder Ranch model, built on a Templar action. I was thinking a TRG-22 for my next rifle; now I'm rethinking that. In all, a very impressive job by GAP.

FH

DON"T DO IT!!!!!!! IT IS A DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best way to avoid the addiction is to never start!

I need to pay attention to this! I just spoke with dustin at GAP for 7mm wsm build just because i saw one of their build at youtube shooting 2k.now i need to rethink i still have my 338lm action seating waiting for barrel and stock..and couple r700 need to accurize and rebarrel.. is it a dont do it lol?

After having my first GAP Custom built and then taking delivery of it... it suddenly made all my other guns feel somehow.... inferior.

they built my first and only custom rifle last year...I was very impressed when I received it...the addiction began and now I have a safe full of parts and waiting on a few more so I can send them off to Gap. I'm building a 260 rem, then 300wm, then a hospitaller, and then.....

Sell your soul to the dark side you will.....................only worse in time it will become.

Never have I seen the man who stopped at his first GAP rifle.

YMMV

Ohhh, you've gone and done it now. Break the credit cards out of the freezer, you'll need um. They do build one FINE rifle.

It is a very bad habit that George loves us to have! They all shoot extremely well. George is pissed at me that I added a AI PRS to my collection. If you an do your part the GAP rifle will simulate a laser beam!

Order it last month in 6.5CM now the hard part wait, wait, wait and wait.........

Just looked at the GAP web site, several rifles listed as ready to ship. Wish I had some money and that Hospitaller would be mine. Love my Crusader!

I wish their was a Support Group somewhere....

Hello my name ______ and I'm a GAP owner...

After my first one I had to get a second....

They are very addictive....

But all are shooters and all of the .30" bullets go through tiny little holes!!!!

I guess my GAP rifles are ok, but I actually bought them to get some one on one time with Ken Linn and Smedium Shirt

Hey FBH, By the description in your post I'm thinkin it was my TRR your talking about. Had a chance to feel it out last Sat. Pulled in .324" for 5 shots at 100 yds, with 168gr FGMM. I'd say its performance lived up to GAP's promise. Tough to go wrong with their guns.

Hey FBH, By the description in your post I'm thinkin it was my TRR your talking about. Had a chance to feel it out last Sat. Pulled in .324" for 5 shots at 100 yds, with 168gr FGMM. I'd say its performance lived up to GAP's promise. Tough to go wrong with their guns.

John (IIRC), it was a beautiful rifle. If it will do 1/3" with FGMM, it will do even better with hand loads. Beautiful rifle...like I said, it's got me thinking...the cost difference between a GAP TRR and a Sako TRG just isn't very big.

Cheers, and thanks for the look.

FH

You have to understand that the folks here are just looking out for you by telling you to run away as fast as you can before your pockets are emptied by GRD (GAP Rifle Disease).

Unfortunately, it's way too late to save this one fellas. He already had his boogerhooks on one. My friend, the best (and only) advice I can you now is to start thinking immediately about which of your organs you need the least that you can sell to get the coin to feed the addiction. There's no going back at this point.

BTW: You might want to take a peek here:

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-rifle-ready-to-ship.html

They have a bunch of rifles "ready to ship", which is not always the case.

Last edited:
GAP is very professional. I had a custom 308 put together by them - they provided the Bartlein barrel and muzzle brake, I sent them a Badger M2008 action and AICS 2.0 stock. They put it together beautifully, and the gun shoots really well. I don't think I've ever read anything bad about them. They really stand behind their products.

Oh, and I'm glad I bought a S&B scope for it back in 2009. It was a PM II 4-16x for $2500 at MHS. Now it's about $3500.

The only downside is wait time, but hey, if you have one in front of you...

That made me scratch my head... I still have another 4 months until my HRT rifle is supposed to ship, and there one sits ready to ship.

Maybe read the description on the page. The rifles are there because someone canceled an order or spare parts were present enough to put a rifle together. You are effectively buying someone else's rifle that they had to back out on.
GAP rifles are like Pringles, once you pop you can't stop.

I disagree with the posters talking about addiction and the inability to stop buying additional rifles. It is simple. You buy one of the best custom rifles out there and then that is it. I ordered my Hospitaller from GA Precision and now I have checked off a box. Once arrived, I will continue to shoot competitions. Now that I have the rifle issues resolved, it is up to me to learn how to shoot at long range in the wind, weather, terrain, etc. Just get one good long range rifle and then use it to its fullest potential. These are just tools, that is all.

Last edited:
I disagree with the posters talking about addiction and the inability to not stop buying additional rifles. It is simple. You buy one of the best custom rifles out there and then that is it. I ordered my Hospitaller from GA Precision and now I have checked off a box. Once arrived, I will continue to shoot competitions. Now that I have the rifle issues resolved, it is up to me to learn how to shoot at long range in the wind, weather, terrain, etc. Just get one good long range rifle and then use it to its fullest potential. These are just tools, that is all.

Well said. Done the same myself with an AW, cry once and move on to learn and get better.

I disagree with the posters talking about addiction and the inability to stop buying additional rifles. It is simple. You buy one of the best custom rifles out there and then that is it. I ordered my Hospitaller from GA Precision and now I have checked off a box. Once arrived, I will continue to shoot competitions. Now that I have the rifle issues resolved, it is up to me to learn how to shoot at long range in the wind, weather, terrain, etc. Just get one good long range rifle and then use it to its fullest potential. These are just tools, that is all.
Easier said than done my friend!!! The rifle ADD has a tight grip. I'm new to this game, and I'd like to try out as many different rifles as I can before getting an all out custom long range shooter. Already jumped the gun on a hunting rifle build though, and I'm sure that'll put me over the edge on customs. I have a GAP 338 that I bought from another hide member. Rang steel for the first time at 600 yards last Saturday. Officially. Addicted.

Easier said than done my friend!!! The rifle ADD has a tight grip. I'm new to this game, and I'd like to try out as many different rifles as I can before getting an all out custom long range shooter.

Good comment bluto77. I actually have been shooting long range competitions now for about 2 years. I already have a Remington 700 in .308 and so I am just simply upgrading because I know I enjoy shooting well past 300-400 yards. Your .338 Lapua Magnum is good out to 2,000 yards. My competition this Saturday will be hitting (among other silhouettes) a rabbit silhouette at 540 yards. With wind, that gets difficult for me. So I learn and with a new rifle = no excuses.

Besides, Chris Kyle is my hero. When he mentioned GA Precision in his book, I did my research and found there are few rifles out there better.

I don't know any "gun owner" that has only one gun....just sayin'. ;)

Personally I have,

AIAW
Martini Henry mk4
Benelli M2
10/22 Custom

So 4 guns but none remotely cross over. Nothing against having loads of guns just that I prefer to keep it simple.

I'm the same way, I have one of each type. I figure buy quality once, no need for a crap ton of sheeety rifles when you can have a custom or top quality.

Full Custom Bolt Gun (pictured in my signature)
Noveske N-4
Working on a Fusion 2011
Glock 19 (not the nicest but for sure reliable)
My shotgun was recently stolen so working on replacing that.

Once you start shooting one hole with that out of the box GAP, all you can think about is the next one you want to order. It truly is a disease.

My 308 GAP with Surgeon receiver has been a dream, I love to shoot it, I don't think you can go wrong with GAP.

I "couldn't stop", and got the TRG-42,in 300 Win Mag, and the GAP-308 Semi. GOD help me! I'm lost, in this addiction.Stop now, or you'll be lost, too! I just got 2 more 308 Remmys, and am looking at a BAR, in 308. When do you have "enough guns"?
I don't know any "gun owner" that has only one gun....just sayin'. ;)

But they're all fun to shoot. Why stop, at one? I've got 7, that I love to shoot. I'm looking for "one more". Maybe 2, or 3. It's like having a harem, without the jealousy I'm a "Retired builder", and I love tools. I have 4 sanders, 6 saws, etc...... Each gun, has a different feel. I like to have choices..
I from GA Precision and now I have checked off a box. Once arrived, I will continue to shoot competitions. Now that I have the rifle issues resolved, it is up to me to learn how to shoot at long range in the wind, weather, terrain, etc. Just get one good long range rifle and then use it to its fullest potential. These are just tools, that is all.

Last edited:
Fit and finish and attention to detail all stand out on inspection of a GAP rifle, where they really shine is on target. Many years ago I sent a rifle to GAP and it was all over from there, had 6 GAP rifles at one time from bolt guns and gas guns to 338LM, it is a drug.

Kirk R