• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors I made myself a knife

trg

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2003
Iceland
This is my first self made. It's a typical Scandinavian type for carving use. The sheath was not very successful.
More knifes to follow.

IMAG0046.jpg

Re: I made myself a knife

Nice.
You should look into forging. It is fun.
What did you use to bond the handle material?

I had been messing around (before I deployed) with forge welding cable to make some cable damascus knives. They turned out "ok" for a beginner. I used borax as flux and etched in acid to bring out the patterns.

I would like to, but I just don't have the facilities to do it.
Right now I can buy some quality blades for reasonable money.
When I get a bigger place with a garage, then I might get into it.

They are glued with a very strong two part epoxy glue.
These type of knifes usually have a hidden tang 3/4 of the handle. Not ideal for heavy woodwork, but good for everything else.

These are the next in line. The bottom wood gets the bottom blade. A EnZO Tundra 110 mm D2, convex grind.

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0039-1.jpg

i have a deep seated love for scandi blades,

its the only knife i bother packing, on any hunt, is my mora 711

hi carbon steel with an edge you can shave with, then sharpen back up with a sheet of newspaper.

cant ask for more, holds an edge like you wont believe. and i bought 2 from sweden for about $20 Aus delivered!!!

do some research on them people they are the best kept secret in the knife world.

if i ever snap the handle on one, i would definatly try my hand at making a timber handle..

jimi

I just used my driveway. The neighbors tend to gravitate over when they hear the pounding to check out what I was working on.
A weed burner (modified to be used as a burner for my forge, 10" steel pipe about 16" long lined with kaowool which is sealed with satanite and ITC-100 along with alumilite (if I remember the name correctly, it is for forge welding since flux will burn through the satanite and kaowool in a second)), a shop vac which provides the air for my forced air burner, a regulator and pressure gage (helped me to save propane and not burn up the steel), a drill and a tap for the tubing for my forced air setup, a hammer and something that you can use as an anvil. For basic forging I just used the propane burner and my forge and hammered out steel.
Forge welding some cable,
3119395812_2a6b261a95_b.jpg

After the etch and before cleaning it up,
3299492150_223e1b0a4a_b.jpg

Trust me forging is a lot of fun!
I <span style="font-weight: bold">suck</span> at it and have only forged out a couple of blades, but I keep trying and I enjoy it. I plan on making a blade with my son which will be his first knife which I believe will be a great father son project!
My pride is the smallest cable blade that I made which has been the most useful little tool/scalpel.

I have to learn to make better handles! I like how you worked that!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a deep seated love for scandi blades,

its the only knife i bother packing, on any hunt, is my mora 711

hi carbon steel with an edge you can shave with, then sharpen back up with a sheet of newspaper.

cant ask for more, holds an edge like you wont believe. and i bought 2 from sweden for about $20 Aus delivered!!!

do some research on them people they are the best kept secret in the knife world.

if i ever snap the handle on one, i would definatly try my hand at making a timber handle..

jimi </div></div>

The Mora knifes are very good. High quality blades and at that price they are almost disposable.

Nice setup Stefan73.

It shows how easy it is to forge blades.
I might try to make my own blades from lawnmower blades or circular saw blades. They are an easy way of getting good grade steel.

For those who want to make the handles, here are a few links.

https://www.brisa.fi/tutnord1.jpg
https://www.brisa.fi/tutnord2.jpg
https://www.brisa.fi/tutnord3.jpg

and the bottom of the page

https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

I also use this forum for info. There must be similar ones in the US.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forum.php

I almost forgot that you might want to get quenchant also. I used P50 quick quench oil. I bought about a 6-8" wide piece of PVC pipe which I capped at the bottom and then just grab the heated piece of steel and dunk it in there after it has reached nonmagnetic. I leave a soft back on my knives by clay coating the back with satanite if I remember correctly. You need to do it evenly on both sides or else you will most likely warp the blade while quenching.

A nice little knife sized forge can be made from a freon tank lined with fire-rock. A set of burners can be tapped into the tank, and then everything runs on propane. My dad had a friend make an ideal knife sized anvil by having a one foot piece of railroad rail smoothed out in a machine shop.

Nice job. I really like the handle.
I recommend picking up a book by Wayne Goddard called "The $50 Knife Shop" I followed some of his suggestions and was able to get up and running for under $100. I probably could have done it for $50, but I got impatient and ended up just buying some different stuff.
Heres my 1st try:
29nbcs6.jpg

I used an old Nicholson file, forged it,ground it,finished by hand with sandpaper for a convex grind, and smoothed it out on the buffer/grinder.
The handle material is "purple heart" which I found mixed in with some rough-sawn brazilian cherry I was planing down.
That is the natural color of the wood. No stain, just a sanding sealer and 3 coats of varnish, rubbed out with steel wool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice setup Stefan73.

It shows how easy it is to forge blades.
I might try to make my own blades from lawnmower blades or circular saw blades. They are an easy way of getting good grade steel. </div></div>

Another great source I've found is an old automobile leaf spring. You can often get broken ones from a junk yard for next to nothing. Really, any large springs can be "recycled" into great knives.

I have good quality worn files from time to time. Usually 10" flat bastard.

Free to a good home if you pay shipping. I'll stop throwing them away.

Shane

307-287-2052

That would be great! I'll PM with my info. Just let me know when you have a few ready for the forge, and I'll cover the shipping.
Thanks,
Matt

That's a good looking first go trg. Fit and finish looks real nice.

I made my forge similar to Stefan's. I used a 5 gallon air compressor tank and lined it with inswool (similar to kaowool...both are ceramic) and sealed it with satanite.

If you're going to persue this, study up on heat treating. That's what sets a good knife apart from the store bought stuff IMO.