• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I / my wife needs better kitchen knives.

Re: I / my wife needs better kitchen knives.

Any professional brand of knife is a good option most have a less expensive version for home use. I've had Global in the past and found the steel to be on the soft side. Would love to get Shun if my wallet/wife would allow it but. For the last 5 years working in professional kitchens and being a Pastry chef for much of that time I've had Wusthof and they have treated me very well! Good luck and whatever you do, don't buy them from Target or Sears you wont get the product you want.

I have a set of Chicago Cutlery knives. Very well made and not to pricey ... definitely worth looking at.

a acquaintance once introduced me to GLOBAL .. this acquaintance in now a friend!

I know that I was always skeptical of the Ginsu commercials till we got a set as a weddnig present. Will shave your finger nails if you get close enough and you don't even feel the pulling sensation when you're doing it. Scares the poo poo out of me every time it happens. I've used them daily for almost 3 years and haven't had to sharpen them yet. Have used them for butchering deer, carving turkeys, cutting fajitas and steaks. I'm satisfied. That and my wife keeps getting after me for trying to use my Ka-Bar in the kitchen. :p

Forschner, I bought several when I went to work in a kitchen.After I had washed dishes for a while I was allowed to help with prep. I had to borrow a knife. When all said and done I ended up with a 10" chef a 14" slicer I pairing and a boning knife. When I started to due a little butchering I got two different types of butchering knives and another boner.
The head Chef had some much nicer knives that had wood handles like Messner and Worstoff in his knife role. But when it came down to just hard every day kitchen work he used his fibrox Forschners.

wmf cooking knife. wonderful knifes. my old lady has them for 30 years now and all you have to do is resharpen once a year.

got one for my gf. she's using it now for 6 years. it's simply perfect.

just saw that it's harder to get them in the states.

Electric knife is hard to beat for fillet and carving. The Ginsu Chikara got well reviewed by consumer reports. I bought the Ginsu CHikara and they are great.

Go with Shun Classic series. sharp out of the box. Can be a bit pricey. If the wifey has a pile of coupons from Bed, Bath and Beyond (like my wifey) use them ! (20% off !!) Get a ceramic sharpener..do not use a steel sharpener. You will screw up the blades. I had a friend sharpen with a special system..Wicked sharp! Dangerous to those not paying attention. I can't use these knives...off limits to me. :)(AKA: not for use in garage or the construction site)

Need to look at Glestain knives they are the top of the line for chefs to use they hold a great edge and are easy to sharpen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Finris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forschner, I bought several when I went to work in a kitchen.After I had washed dishes for a while I was allowed to help with prep. I had to borrow a knife. When all said and done I ended up with a 10" chef a 14" slicer I pairing and a boning knife. When I started to due a little butchering I got two different types of butchering knives and another boner.
The head Chef had some much nicer knives that had wood handles like Messner and Worstoff in his knife role. But when it came down to just hard every day kitchen work he used his fibrox Forschners. </div></div>

This.

I have a set of these in the kitchen, a set for butchering game and cattle, and a set for field necropsies in my practice kit. Most butchers I know use these also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have Henckels, they are pricy but we buy a couple of knives a year at the Navy Exchange. I've bought a couple of cheap knives at Target when I was on the road, the paring knife broke but the slicer has been great.

For a good mid range knife there was a boxed set on Food Network's shopping site I've wanted for years but looking it up it doesn't seem to be available anymore. The set below has a longer santuko blade and white instead of orange case, the handles are a little different.

This is the replacement set:
http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Rachael-Gusto...+ray+furi+knife

I'll agree that electric knives work well on turkeys and foam.

Edit: Depending on your budget William Sonoma has sets of Wusthof and Henckels on sale on there web site. Sometimes they do classes that may give you a chnce to try different knives for how they feel.</div></div>
Another vote for Henckels </div></div>

I've had a set of Henckels for 11 years and while they were expensive on the front end they definitely last. I also have a wicked edge that hits them about once a year. They really keep and edge. Like others have mentioned my wife sends me into fits when I walk into the kitchen and see her cutting on anything other than a wood board.

A friend that's a pretty established chef turned me on to these years ago and have never needed to look past them.

messermeister

I have a kitchen full of Cutco knives. I wouldn't buy anything else. They are expensive, seriously, so don't be surprised when you drop $150 on a single knife. However, they are great and have a lifetime warranty including free sharpening (someone will actually come to your house for you and sharpen them till they are razor sharp). I used a big 10 chef knife to pry a shoulder socket in a elk (yes this was very stupid of me). I broke the knife, which I had owned for around 7 years. I called them and they had someone hand deliver me a new knife no questions asked. Can't really beat that.

I love the globals but for the money, the caphalon katana series is fantastic. very reasonably priced

I've sliced a lot if meat in my life. My dad has owned
a steak house for the past 20 years and, my favorite
slicer is a Dexter. Razor sharp and easy to resharpen.

I've had a Kyocera 7" ceramic chefs knife for about 6 years now. Still just as sharp as the day I got it, and it's never been sharpened. As long as your not using it to hack at stuff they're awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend that's a pretty established chef turned me on to these years ago and have never needed to look past them.

messermeister </div></div>

+1

I picked up two over at knifefourms.com and they are a great knives.

Henkel or Wusthof.

I have Henkels and they are amazing. Only downside is that they make you lazy and you'll shit yourself when a friend tries to use one as a screwdriver.

I sold Cutco myself too while in college and they are tough to beat. Great warranty, free sharpening and they're US made in Olean, NY.

I can speak for the Wusthof and Henckels a bit. My wife and I have had the Henckels and a Wusthof for a long time now and they are one of the best investments we made. THe Henckels are harder steel, keep their edge longer and are more difficult to sharpen (yeah goes hand in hand). Although I havent had an issue they are also a bit less flexible. The Wusthof I have is softer, is easier to sharpen but loses its edge faster (again, goes hand in hand). If I were to personally choose between the two I would go with Henckels and I prefer the Professional-S series handles.

That said, there is a Shun santuko on my birthday list. The balance and handle felt really good to me so I figured I would give it a try.

Shun models - William Sonoma tends to have a good line up to go and give a try.....which is critical IMO.

Having to admit it, got rid of nearly all the Wusthof and JA H. to only use Miracle Blade III sets. The darn things just work and I could care less if they get hurt. Cut great, handle even better and just flat out cost nothing for knife prices.

I still like Shun, just have no need.

may be a terrible suggestion to those "up scale Chefs / MLDs, but if you haven't used the MBIII.........

+1 for henckels
I have 2 sets, the normal ones that my wife is allowed to use.
And the handmade set that is on top of the fridge so she cant reach them.

Phil Wilson Punta Chivato Fillet knife, Chefs knife, and boning knife. Make sure you buy insurance for your wifes fingers once you get the knives from Phil. Never put them in the dishwasher and you'll be set for life and hand them down.