• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I need a .22lr scope for 300-400 yards, help!!!!

stoop14

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2010
Getting into long ranged .22lr picked up a FV-sr in a Boyd's tacticool stock and a 20moa rail. Now I need a scope for this bad boy. What do you rimfire experts advise? Also I'm up in Canada so your SS line is out of the question.

Re: I need a .22lr scope for 300-400 yards, help!!!!

Couple thoughts...

I know you already have the base, but you will want a generous amount of total adjustment if you are planning on keeping a traditional 50 yard zero.

Take a look at this thread from the rimfire section
click here snipers hide

Also, would be helpful as noted above ^^^ if you had a price range in mind as well as the magnification level you prefer.

If you are doing long range with centerfire and this is intended to simulate those conditions I would replicate whichever setup you are currently using... ie. Mil/mil, moa/moa, keep the reticle the same, dialing or holding however you have been doing thus far.

Good luck, sounds like an interesting endeavor.

I run fixed power Leupold Mark 4's on my rimfires. They have more than enough elevation to get you out to 300+ yards.

10x is good enough to shoot minute of ground hog at 300 yards, but 16x does make it easier.

i have an anschutz 64 mpr with a 20moa. i got started shooting 22lr before i bought a 308. i bought a leupold vxII 3-9x.

with that scope and the rail at max adjustment, i can hit 8 inch steel at 300 yards.

having said that, i also have a march 5-40x that i put on the anschutz for a week or two before i got a 308. and that was a perfect scope since it allowed me to see the itty bitty holes and was mil mil with markings for hold offs.

the leupold doesnt have hold offs and you have to take the caps off to adjust.

im now in a quandary. buy something more expensive? with mils and knob adjustments? there's probably a 260 remington in my future which makes it more complicated.

anyway, bottom line, with a 9x scope you can shoot 300 yards.

I'm happy with the Vortex crossfire 30mm 6-24x50 mildot.Great scope for a .22 at a great price.I would go mildot reticule so you can do hold overs if need be.

I would look into a fixed power Sightron SIII. I have the 10x42 and it has about 150 MOA elevation. The perfect scope for a 22LR dedicated to LR. It also has 10 yard parallax adjustment for those really close shots. Never had any kind of trouble with it.

$1000 but cheaper is better lol, as for mag I'm not sure, what do most ppl use? Retical would ideally have mill dots or hash marks for consistent hold overs if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really, 300-400 yard shots with a .22lr? </div></div>

Some guys are serious about that stuff. I though I was being an ass trying mine at 200 yards but they do work out there and I was happy with the way mine was shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAKO-75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look into a fixed power Sightron SIII. I have the 10x42 and it has about 150 MOA elevation. The perfect scope for a 22LR dedicated to LR. It also has 10 yard parallax adjustment for those really close shots. Never had any kind of trouble with it. </div></div>

To add to your post, on my Cooper 57M 22LR I put a Sightron (SIII LR 6-24X50) and found the glass for my old eyes is just amazing. Put the scope on a pair of Seekins Precision Ultra 30MM Low. Thanks to Liberty Optics & Scott.

Maxwell

Based on personal experience you need a scope that has a minimum of 80 moa internal elevation adjustment. I have an old 30 year old bushnell banner that I mount on my 10/22 for 300yds. It is enough to get me there and I am not using a 20 moa base. I also have an inxepensive red head scope from bass pro shop that I have mounted on another 10/22 but only has enough elevation for 230 yds. It is up to you how much you want to spend but the key factor here I believe is internal elevation adjustment and with your 20 moa base an a scope of at least 80 moa elevation will get you to 400 yds. You are really going to enjoy shooting those distances.

I'm curious too. New to the site, and took my Rem 597 .22 LR to the range yesterday, and tried to hit the steel we have at 230m. I have a Bushnell 3-9 scope with a regular duplex reticle, so I couldn't hold at a hash mark of any kind in the scope. I held about a yard high, aiming at a tree root above the clanger. And to my shock, I was able to hit it and hear a little "ting" when it hit! What a hoot! More fun than hitting it with my BCM AR with an Aimpoint.

Now thinking of a new scope for my .22. The Bushnell has no parallax adjustment, which makes things blurry at 200 yds. Have seen a Nikon 3-9 EFR that looks interesting.

yeah, 300- 400 isn't impossible at all we do it frequently, sure beats the time reloading / buying centerfire all the time.

STOOP, your gonna hear a whole bunch of suggestions ranging from a centerpoint to nightforce.

check these out:

Thoughts on picking a scope for a rimfire.

22 scope+ mounts+rings threads

GOOD POST ON OPTICS SELECTION, RETICLES, ETC.

if consistantly shooting from 50 to 300 or 400, 1/4" adj will get you there quicker with less spinning of the turrets.

if you are a holdover guy, something with mildots or similiar marks on the reticle will help, and a 20 or 25 MOA base is recommended whether holding over or dialing.

personally i like a higher magnification to spot hits / misses, but clarity is also a must - no matter how high the mag, you still can't see it if it's blurry and gray.

parallax adjustment is a must, either on the obj or on the side (my preference).

do the "pros and cons list" of what you need, then what you want, compare it to what is available to fit your budget. that'll narrow it down to a few choices, then take it from there.

I have a bull barreled 10/22 with an older 6x bushnell that is no longer in production and it is very accurate out to 200 yards. Buying right now I'd get the ssniper 6x or 10x but since you're in canada...maybe one of those falcon optics or BSA scopes on the cheap end and higher up, a sightron or bushnell tactical.