• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

i need a bullet suggestion

carson1219

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2010
carson, ia
hey fellas. My AR-15 has a 1/8" twist and im looking for a heavier bullet for my .223. Would like a 70-75 grain that will also be effective for dropping coyotes. Hornady's 75 grain A-Max tapers off to quick to load correct and fit in AR magazine. The round needs to be 2.260 or shorter. Thanks in advance.

Re: i need a bullet suggestion

thanks cobra i have a bunch of those loaded and they are accurate. however i would like to find a soft point or hopefully a ballistic tip to get that coyote knockdown

berger 77gr match bthp
lapua brass
23.8 grn varget
cci br-4 primers
mag length (2.260")

'Excellent for Varmints' it says on the yellow box..
smile.gif

The Amax is a nasty little round but I could never get them to load right at mag length. I had great success with 69 gr noslers HPBT's and 70 gr Barnes TSX's are lights out on anything.

Nice rig by the way Carson... is that the Wilson Combat rail???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SOCAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rig by the way Carson... is that the Wilson Combat rail??? </div></div>
Nope the POF tacticle rail that is on there rifle. and im with ya i cant get the 75 grain a-max to load right and fit in the magazine at the same time

While not technically a hunting bullet, I dropped a coyote in it's tracks with a 69gr. SMK out of a 1:8 Larue stealth.

I don't think the 75 Amax is made for mag length loading. A Sierra 77 might stabilize. Berger makes a bunch of hunting bullets with target profiles.

I've been meaning to tell that's a nice freezer.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think the 75 Amax is made for mag length loading. A Sierra 77 might stabilize. Berger makes a bunch of hunting bullets with target profiles.

I've been meaning to tell that's a nice freezer.
smile.gif
</div></div>
haha thanks its an accurate model