• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a hand with this Springfield 1903, please

achancesw

Private
Minuteman
Long story short: My dad acquired this somewhere, he passed, I inherited.

Local club, does vintage shooting contests, I'd like to participate. (CMP)

This is a Springfield 1903, on a hunting stock?

I think I can shoot it "legally" in the matches, but I also would like to return it to stock condition?

That being said, it seems to missing the front iron sight. Anything else jump out that is missing?

What kind of scope can I put on it for vintage shooting? (Via CMP rules)

Where is a good place to get parts?

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2440.JPG
    IMG_2440.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2441.JPG
    IMG_2441.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 167
It is your rifle and you can do what you want with it, but my recommendation is to keep it as is and find another complete rifle for CMP games. The money and effort you will spend on trying to recover that hunting rifle will never be recouped...with the drilled receiver it is too far gone.This is what is should look like, giving you an idea of what needs to be done
88BD25C8-AFE5-49C1-8C57-F14BCF3B5B4A.jpeg

Last edited:
If you were still considering building that rifle into a replica M1903A1 sniper for the Vintage Sniper Match it will get expensive quickly:

A good C stock (real GI replacement and not a replica club that will need reprofiling) $495 from Northridge International https://www.northridgeinc.com/product-p/03-a3-3c.htm If there isn't a stock bushing for the lower action screw hole, you will need to buy one, trim to length and install... will help prevent the stock from splitting at the rear tang. You will also need a M1903 handguard inletted for the barrel scope block.

Telescopic sight that complies with CMP rules $595 https://hi-luxoptics.com/collection...-scopes/products/malcolm-8x-usmc-sniper-scope

Scope mount blocks for above scope $50 a set http://www.steveearleproducts.com/scopeblocks.html

Other parts needed: Buttplate and screws, lower sling swivel assembly and screws, Trigger guard assembly (milled), floorplate, follower and spring, complete bolt assembly, rear sight base and pins (3 pins... two to secure the sight base to the barrel and one to prevent rotation, rear sight assembly Model 1905, rear sight windage screw, lower band with sling swivel, lower band spring, upper band with stacking swivel and screw, front sight base and pin, front sight and screw.

Add the gunsmithing cost if you aren't doing the work yourself. Do the math and decide if you still want to proceed.

Reactions: DIBBS
That is a loaded question. Can you elaborate as to what you want?

Original Remingtons can be found, prices are all over the place. The two British Purchasing Commission rifle in my photo were about $2K each. When I started collecting, you could walk out of a gunshow with a pair of 1903s for about $400. You can use Gunbroker to see what 1903s have sold for...should be a strong indication of the current market rate. A serviceable example should be in the $750-900 range. A mint original will cost more.

You can find good deals, but you have to put the time in looking for one.

I'll disagree with Dan, simply because it's a nice smooth action, looks good and will make someone on a budget a fine hunting rifle. You can't touch a model 700 for $450... And $200 is what they get for Raven pistols these days

I'd say this does fine at $350 or so. For nothing more than it's a nice old rifle that will last forever. Heck, NEF break-open 20 gauge hammer single barrels get more than $200.

Good luck with the sale!

Cheers,

Sirhr

One good selling point to your rifle is that the bolt handle is turned down for scope use. Sniper rifles from this era did not have front sights. If the barrel is good and you have the patience, you can make this into a repro style sniper rifle for alot less than previously mentioned.

OP, I'm in the same boat. I was told it's be just as much to buy a 1903 as it would to get mine back to original form. Mine were used at Camp Perry in the 50's and 60's by my wife's grandad.

One good selling point to your rifle is that the bolt handle is turned down for scope use. Sniper rifles from this era did not have front sights. If the barrel is good and you have the patience, you can make this into a repro style sniper rifle for alot less than previously mentioned.
Only the M1903A4 had a bent bolt handle...to make a repro M1903 sniper a bent bolt handle is something that needs to be replaced.

The costs I stated are accurate and reflects current pricing.

ETA- every WW2 era sniper rifle was equipped with iron sights...except for the 03A3...replicas of which can be built on 03A3 receivers, not 1903 receivers.

Last edited:
Yup...look at the OP’s bolt handle. Bent like an 03A4...completely incorrect for an ‘03 Sniper and would need to be replaced with an as issued M1903 bolt. The OPs bolt is bent to resemble this:
95A43AF6-A37E-4B7A-933B-5C243F3394AE.jpeg

Reactions: sandwarrior