• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a little advice (with pics)

hornet shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Canyon lake Tx
My trainer blew apart with factory loads this weekend. I need to know which route I should go. Do I call the call the ammo manufacture and present the evidence and ask for reimbursement on the rifle or am I screwed? I do not want to bash any companies on the internet so I dont want to give any names yet. The rifle was a bolt action .22mag with a heavy barrel and an aftermarket tactical stock. When I pulled the trigger their was no barrel obstructions and the barrel looks fine but the bolt was stuck in and required a bit of hammering to open. The brass is still stuck in the chamber but the extractor tore the back of the case off when I hammered the bolt open. The explosion blew the bottom metal out of the stock and cracked the stock from the mag opening to the front studs. the stock also cracked from just behind the bolt length wise to the butt. In my opinion the round must have been a double charge. The rifle has around 500rds through it.

Re: I need a little advice

Rifle goes to manufacture with rest of ammo/ take pictures of all - including box ammo & e-mail pictures and rifle repair # to ammo manufacture.

Let them figure it out

A friend of s friend was shooting light .30-06 reloads (cast bullets over Unique) and had a blowup almost exactly as you described. Everyone thought that he had loaded a double charge, but I have read that under certain circumstances a powder charge can detonate rather than burn.

I have messed around with some 22WMR shells tinkering with loads (stupid I know)and I never seen anywhere near the pressure of this.Did the bullet even leave the barrel?Interested in this for sure.Post some pics please.

The bullet did exit the barrel. I sorry for the poor pictures my camera sucks.
brokeassgun032.jpg

brokeassgun029.jpg

brokeassgun028.jpg

brokeassgun027.jpg

brokeassgun026.jpg

brokeassgun025.jpg

brokeassgun023.jpg

That's ugly...what's the latest?