• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a new caliber - help.

Narsus

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2018
So, I'm looking to buy or build a new bolt action rifle soonish. Let's start with caliber.

Currently I have 2 "precision" rifles:
1. Remington 700 5R in .308
2. Seekins SP-10 in 6.5

I really enjoy shooing both rifles, but as you all know more is better.

I would prefer a caliber that has factory ammo availability, I don't reload yet (probably a year out).
I also don't want to go over 300 WM, cost per shot, and my suppressor is rated to go only that high. I'd also like to stay married.
Finally, I'd rather not use a caliber that really burns barrels out too quickly (again cost).

Thanks in advance.

You already have your long barrel life calibers covered. I say go 6 creed and get the performance and soft recoil.

That or a bolt gun in .223 because they are so much fun and cheap. Barrels last forever and very minimal recoil.

6 BR
Plenty of brass, lots of bullets, good barrel life but not that many factory options for LR shooting

6 Cm
Low recoil, good factory options, plenty of gas to 1k but will burnt your barrel

If I was you I’d stay w 6.5 Cm until you reload and the go 6 BR

Just my $ .02

6cm interests me, I'm debating a ground up build but the jury is still out and for another thread.

The 223 also would be a fun plinker, am I won't thinking I should go semi auto with it. I never considered it for a bolt rifle.

Are basically all the other rifle calibers barrel burners? How many shots downrange are we looking at before a rebarrel? 2k? 4k? Etc

6 creed 2k
6BRA 3k maybe?
.223 lifetime lol
6.5 creed 3.5k (maybe stretching it)

Seriously bolt gun in .223. Run the 77’s and shoot out to 1k.

Or build a more custom 6.5 bolt gun and replace your .308 because anything a .308 can do the 6.5 can do better :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284
6 cm 2-2.5K rounds ??? Most of the 6 Cm I have seen are done somewhere between 1300-1500, by 1800 they’re all pretty much toasted

You need a 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun to go with your sp-10

.223, 6.5 Creedmoor (If your "6.5" isn't), 6mm Creedmoor. Or you can go big(ger) with one of the 30s like 300 WM or WSM, or 7mm Rem Mag.

For a 100% steel and paper gun, I would not shoot something as overkill as a 7mm, 300 WM etc. I'd shoot 6mm Creedmoor or 223 any day of the week.

I know very little about the cartridge, it's not something I see at the range.

.243 win has been around for forever and a day. There are other .243s out there now too. Shoots flat, soft recoil, 6mm bullet, quite a bit of factory ammo out there for it too.

I,m with the crowd,6 creed,6br,223 are my go to,also been wanting to try a valkyrie,also love a good 7 saum

Wanting factory ammo and since you would "rather not use a caliber that really burns barrels out too quickly,"

then 223 or 6.5 Creed over the 6 Creed and 243.

Easiest all around is just doing 6.5Creed because it'll do well in the wind at 1000Y, gets decent barrel life, etc.

Another idea is building a 223AI. Just put in factory ammo and 223AI pops out. Later when you start reloading that extra grain of powder capacity will push a 88gr .545BC at 2800 fps and if you don't shoot long strings - overheating the barrel you should get nearly twice the barrel life of the 6.5's.

Reactions: 260284
Do yourself a favor.

Spend the money on reloading equipment and components instead.

If you're looking to shoot 1000 yards, you really cannot rely on factory ammo, unless you're buying Prime or Federal GMM. Trying to shoot beyond 300 yards with anything but ultra premium factory ammo is going to be an exercise in frustration.

You don't need every fancy piece of reloading equipment either, although they are nice. You can load accurate consistent ammo with a Rock Chucker kit and a few other tools.

Do yourself a favor.

If you're looking to shoot 1000 yards, you really cannot rely on factory ammo, unless you're buying Prime or Federal GMM. Trying to shoot beyond 300 yards with anything but ultra premium factory ammo is going to be an exercise in frustration.

You don't need every fancy piece of reloading equipment either, although they are nice. You can load accurate consistent ammo with a Rock Chucker kit and a few other tools.

Bingo!

Best advice yet.

Do yourself a favor.

Currently I only shoot match ammo, and I absolutely agree I need reloading equipment. It always come down to, do I want reload equipment or a new shiney gun. The gun has won the last 8 times or so. ;-)

Skip the gun.
Invest in reloading equipment. A&D scale with an Autotrickler, a good press and dies. Learn how to reload properly.
And then build what ever caliber you want to.