• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a new Chrono

bfoosh006

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 13, 2007
    PNW
    I currently have a older ProChrono, the basic model. It has served me well... but the lack of being able to readily look and record ( write down ) the SD and ES, and velocities, at my finger tips is a PITA.
    The most convenient, local range, limits readily accessibility to the chrono, after it is setup... so basically I can't just scroll through the info as I see fit.

I am mildly interested in the ProChrono DLX w/ its BlueTooth feature.
    https://competitionelectronics.com/products/prochrono-dlx

The LabRadar seems to have quite a few nice features , but a little overkill to my wants.

The MagnetoSpeed looks easy to use, and would certainly be at my finger tips, but I do worry about trying to shoot for precision with it installed , and if long times at the bench with high barrel temps, would cause issues with the mounting system.
    And then there are the various muzzle devices I use... for the most part, I don't think I have any that direct blast downward, but some do direct blast at angles downward. Would those gasses mess up the devices "blade" ?

So, Should I stay with the older tried and true types ? And just get the Blue Tooth version ? I can also use the tired and true versions with handguns.

Cost isn't a big factor, but ease , convenience and versatility sure seems like a better fit.

Any input will be appreciated.

Is the PACT line maybe a good alternative ?

https://pact.com/product/mkiv-xp-with-standard-skyscreens/

I don't grasp why this one needs a external power source ? Did that imply I need to run a additional power cord ?

https://pact.com/product/mkiv-xp-with-infrared-ir-skyscreens/

Magnetospeed is worth the money but will impact groups by having something touching it and harmonics changing. The labradar is badass and doesn’t have any harmonic issues

I have a Magnetospeed V3 and the Pro Chrono Digital with Bluetooth. I use the V3 with my rifles and with handguns that have a picatinny rail. I also have the Wiser Precision Arca attachment and use it, and also use it direct mounted if necessary. It works great, and I have had no issues using with it Fat Bastard and/or Little Bastard gen3 among others. Unfortunately there are some handguns and rifles the V3 won’t work with, and I use the Pro Chrono with them. Here is a screen shot of the Pro Chrono Bluetooth app:
    IMG_3894.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg

If it will cover your needs the V3 works like a champ. I have the XFR dongle and download the data to my phone so it’s easy to reference. The Bluetooth on the Pro Chrono is awesome, and after having the older version I can say it is well worth the upgrade. I guess the difference being you don’t have to go down range to set up the V3, and the Pro Chrono works on my revolvers etc.

I currently have a older ProChrono, the basic model. It has served me well... but the lack of being able to readily look and record ( write down ) the SD and ES, and velocities, at my finger tips is a PITA.
    The most convenient, local range, limits readily accessibility to the chrono, after it is setup... so basically I can't just scroll through the info as I see fit.

I am mildly interested in the ProChrono DLX w/ its BlueTooth feature.
    https://competitionelectronics.com/products/prochrono-dlx

The LabRadar seems to have quite a few nice features , but a little overkill to my wants.

The MagnetoSpeed looks easy to use, and would certainly be at my finger tips, but I do worry about trying to shoot for precision with it installed , and if long times at the bench with high barrel temps, would cause issues with the mounting system.
    And then there are the various muzzle devices I use... for the most part, I don't think I have any that direct blast downward, but some do direct blast at angles downward. Would those gasses mess up the devices "blade" ?

So, Should I stay with the older tried and true types ? And just get the Blue Tooth version ? I can also use the tired and true versions with handguns.

Cost isn't a big factor, but ease , convenience and versatility sure seems like a better fit.

Any input will be appreciated.

Is the PACT line maybe a good alternative ?

https://pact.com/product/mkiv-xp-with-standard-skyscreens/

I don't grasp why this one needs a external power source ? Did that imply I need to run a additional power cord ?

https://pact.com/product/mkiv-xp-with-infrared-ir-skyscreens/
    Labradar….as your grandmother said “ you’ll grow into it”! Lol

Reactions: bfoosh006
    Labradar > anything else

Literally nothing is easier to set up and switch between guns.
    FWIW, I had the exact opposite issues. If you shoot where there is a lot of ground clutter etc getting a solid return on the doppler can be an issue. I also find it more of a hassle to have to buy third party accessories like an accelerometer to get good registrations for shooting suppressed. I replaced my Labradar with a Magnetospeed V3 and the Wiser Precision Pro mount and could not be happier. I am set up and getting solid info thats reliable and accurate before my shooting partner is done futzing with his labradar. YMMV.

eta- to move to another gun i just loosen the Wiser mount and attach it to the dedicated pic rail on the next rifle And adjust the mount.

Last edited:
    This.

Anyone saying Labradar>everything has never used the AndiScan.

It isn’t cheap.

For the OP, a magnetospeed is the easy solution and you can get a wiser mount if the precision thing bothers you (you need to zero and gather data at the same time).

FWIW, I had the exact opposite issues. If you shoot where there is a lot of ground clutter etc getting a solid return on the doppler can be an issue. I also find it more of a hassle to have to buy third party accessories like an accelerometer to get good registrations for shooting suppressed. I replaced my Labradar with a Magnetospeed V3 and the Wised Precision Pro mount and could not be happier. I am set up and getting solid info thats reliable and accurate before my shooting partner is done futzing with his labradar. YMMV.

eta- to move to another gun i just loosen the Wiser mount and attach it to the dedicated pic rail on the next rifle And adjust the mount.
    I only shoot suppressed and have never had a problem.

Only issue is when there is a bunch of other people shooting near you

Magnetospeed v3 simply works, and won’t break if dropped, but but but, IMHO a chronograph is just a tool to let us know what our ES/SD is, down range trued ballistics from actual results is all that matters.

Wow, thanks for all the answers and input.
    I am glad I asked here.
    I will have to consider the others more thoroughly !