• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I need a new optic for my AR

sqdqo

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2009
I need a new scope for my AR, I have been looking at both Nightforce and Leupold VX-7 in a 2.5x10. I will use it for hunting and some informal target shooting. I want the best low light performance I can get and am looking for opinions.

Re: I need a new optic for my AR

If "best low light performance" is your main criteria, then a Nikon Monarch will be the answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqdqo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need a new scope for my AR, I have been looking at both Nightforce and Leupold VX-7 in a 2.5x10. I will use it for hunting and some informal target shooting. I want the best low light performance I can get and am looking for opinions. </div></div>

Let me suggest a low cost Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50mm with mil-dots mounted with high rings..

I own Leupold's, USO's and one nightforce..

I'd put it at or above the Leupold right under the NF.. JMO..

Zeiss conquests do well in low light as long as you are ok with no illumination. I have a 3.5x10 and it works great in low light.

i have been eyeing the burris 1x4 for when my 16in ar upper finally arrives

I went with the Leupold Mark 2 6-18x40mm for $500. I dont see any need of spending anymore than that for an AR unless you shoot matches or super long range but you cant shoot that far with an AR. Leupold is one of the best and for the price you cant beat it. Plus I heard they were coming out with a Mark AR version for AR-15s. Should check it out. I dont see spending $1,100 for the cheapest nightforce scope for an AR. Nothing against Nightforce I have one on my Custom .300 Win Mag.

After reading all the hate and discontent on the Hide regarding Leupold scopes, I'd definately go with the Nightforce 2.5-10. I have owned one for years now and as beat up and ugly as it is, it is a very reliable and nice scope.

However, there is another scope I'd look at simple because I like FFP scopes so much. For an AR, you might want to check out the Horus Vision Talon 1-4 mil/mil illuminated scope.

http://www.horusvision.com/talon.php

pr_4_talon.jpg

sqdqo, I'm running the the NF, 2.5-10X24 on my 20" Sabre Defence AR-15 and couldn't be happier with it. For informal target practice it's a real winner. With the clarity of this scope I can see bullets holes in white printer paper at 300 yds without too much trouble. For a walking varmiteer rifle the size is perfect! I personally can't think of a better scope to fill the role this one does.

I have no experience with the VX-7 so no comment there except to say I like Leupold hunting scopes but I probably wouldn't ever pay that much for one. Sometimes I like to try different things and I'm guessing a man would take a pretty bad loss trying to move a VX-7. Just IMHO.

Here's my Sabre/NF setup. I like it.
AR-----per20002.jpg

AR-----%20005.JPG

I do find some of the above comments a little bizzare. This is a 600yds rifle, why is it not deserving of good optics?

Terry

Take a look at IOR, either the 1.5-8x or the 2-12x Both are great for AR's and both will get you from CQB to the range of the rifle. See Scott at Lib. Optics, he'll help you out.

I've got an IOR 2-12 on my heavy barrel XCR build. I think it fits this role perfectly.

I owned a 2-12 IOR and it was a boat anchor. This $1300 scope also had, as IOR admitted "issues with their 6 multiplier scopes". The sight picture looked you were looking through a coke bottle from 2-4.5x and again at 9.5-12x. IOR told me, "...But you didn't buy this scope to run at low power, did you buddy? Just enjoy it."

I have the NXS 2.5-10 on an AR-10T with short barrel, and like the Leupold 1.5-5x SPR mk4 for the .223. Mine is a 600yd rifle, with a fast twist barrel, but is 75gr match ammo really that far reaching? I can shoot 90gr bullets, loading singly and am comfortable with A2 or optic.

The Leupold is fast has a cam dial, gives 5 different aiming points on the reticle and can be shot with BAC w/Butler Creek lens cap down and illum on.

The Leupold 4.5-14 is also a good scope for an AR. My son has a 3-9x 50mm Leupold Euro on his Armalite M15. My vote is for as light and versatile as you can find/afford if you will carry your AR afield.

depending on your budget..
A used MK4 M3 variable 3.5 x 10 with the proper cam is a sweet piece for your 20" AR and can be found for 8-900 used.

Otherwise I'm still gonna give rave reviews on the Falcon Menace 4 x 14 FFP ,I have one on an SPR and love it... best $325 I ever spent...

Both grab light in unsavory conditions well..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: riverguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the ACOG out of the equation ? </div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqdqo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need a new scope for my AR, I have been looking at both Nightforce and Leupold VX-7 in a 2.5x10. I will use it for hunting and some informal target shooting. I want the best low light performance I can get and am looking for opinions. </div></div>

If you want good lowlight performance at max magnification, the NF 2.5-10 x24 or 32 would not be prime, at 10x the exit pupil would be either 2.4 or 3.2mm.

Lowlight, you're looking at a 50-56mm objective and a lot more weight.

Then again, if you're OK with 4-6 power at dusk, NF should be fine.

For hunting I would recommend a 1-4 to a 2.5-10x range.

Leupold, Nightforce, USO, Some IOR, and Trijicon are at the top of my list for an AR15 setup.

Mike

I've been wanting a 1.8-10x44mm SN-3 for my 20" A4 clone for a while, I think that would be a GREAT all around scope for your needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: riverguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the ACOG out of the equation ? </div></div>
+1 </div></div>

1+. Love mine. Very accurate out to at least 500 yards easily.

Could you guys with an acog educate us a little bit. Is there something about an acog that makes it better than a conventional scope for low light? I know the field of view is very wide.