• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I need a quick understaing of MOA

j1972

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
If I understand correctly 1 MOA is 1" at 100 yards right? If that is correct am I right on the following?

1. If 1 MOA or 1" at 100 yards then 1 Moa is 10" at 1000 yards?

2. If 1 MOA is 10" at 1000 yards then 10 MOA would be 100" at 1000 yards of elevation?

Please fill me in. I'm new at this.

Re: I need a quick understaing of MOA

You got it, well pretty close. To be exact it's 1.047" at 100 yards which at 1000 yards I think it adds up to .47" but the 1" per 100 yards is easy to remember and close enough for most of us mere mortals. Here is a site that explains in more detail.

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.html

Topstrap

Don't know what you mean by "of elevation" but yes 1"@100yd 2"@200 yds and so on. Looks like you got it. It's simple by that way. I believe it is actually 1.047" at 100 yds for true MOA while shooters MOA is straight 1" at 100yds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. EX. MOA at 800yds would be 8" while at 875yds MOA would be 8.75".

Thanks for the info. Just to make sure. I hear a lot of comments on this site that people are concerned with having enough MOA to reach a 1000 yards. On my USO scope and I'm assuming that other scopes are similar when I turn the elevation knob I'm getting close to 3.5 turns which is about 82 MOA. I hope I'm totally not missing this. Would that mean 820" at 1000 yards, doesen't seem right.

Yes, 82 MOA off of a 100 yd zero is a long way. On my 260 77MOA gets it to a mile. Don't know what caliber your shooting but it's probably plenty.

You might have been talking about the scopes total adj. not off of a zero. If you have a 20MOA base you will be fine everywhere. If not you will probably still get to a grand depending on what you shoot.

Having 'enough MOA' is more about the projectile you are shooting and some other variables that factor how much drop you'll see at a given distance. So the further you go the more it drops. To compensate for this you dial your reticule to basically cause you to physically aim the bullet slightly higher to compensate for the drop. The further you go the more the drop and the more you have to dial and are limited by how much you can dial... otherwise known as having enough MOA. You can also get scope mounts with more 'angle' built into them effectively increasing your 'MOA'.