• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

I need a range finder

msu33

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Two years ago, I built a custom 257 wby with the intent to learn to shoot long distance. I worked up a custom load for the rifle, using 115 bergers. So, after two years I finally have a great place to practice. I have some inlaws that have a farm in central TN. So, there I can sit on a hill over looking several pastures. I can set out targets from 300-1200 yards. This past sunday I got to stretch the rifle's legs for the first time. I started at 470 yards, that was an easy shot. Simply ranged the target with range finder, entered my data into my calculator, made the adjustment on my nightforce....squeeze...and the steel rang. After practicing at that distance for a bit...I decided to move out further. Here is where I had some trouble. The range finder said it was 823 yards. My shots were high...so I ended determinig the target was at almost exactly 800 yards. I found this out by adjusting the scope and firing to verify. So...none the less I was very pleased that I could hit the target at 800 yards on my very first outing shooting past 200 yards.

Now, I am hooked....but I need a better range finder. I plan to work to further distances. My steel target is 17"x9" ar500 steel silhouette. I need a range finder that can range a target that size out past 1000 yards. I have read lots of reviews on Bushnell 1600 ARC, Leica 1600, and Leica 1600B. These are in my price range, the 1600B is pushing my limit at $800. I have read where the Bushnell cant pick up targets that small beyond 600 yards. I have not come across any reviews stating at what distance the Leica's can pick up small targets. SO...I have come to the hide for some help. Be kind to the Newbie....

Thanks

Re: I need a range finder

From what I've read the Bushnell 1600's work pretty well past 1000yds, it's the the Bushnell 1500's that seem to range poorly. I've seen Bushnell 1600's on Craigslist around here sell for $300-$350 which is quite affordable. FWIW

At a $800 budget, I would say save a little more for a Swarovski Laser Guide and not look back.

I have read they work well past 100o yards as well, just not on small targets. If I can accurately range my silhouette, that would be awesome, cause it will save me some money.

I have not read anything on the Swaro's. Do they adjust for angles? I would like to either get a range finder that can tell me inclination/declination, or maybe get some goodies from flatline ops.... Too many choices.

I know its not in your current price range, but the Terrapin or PLRF-05 by Vectronix is supposed to be really great. I have only heard 100% good things about, with the only downside being its high cost.

At 1000 yards, you may be able to get reliable readings with other rangefinders, but if you move out beyond say 1500, you will be hard pressed to find a rangefinder that reliable gives you an accurate reading. This is just from my research. The PLRF-05 is on my shopping list right after my optic. However, I can (barely) afford it, and I live close to an area where I can shoot up to 3000 yards.

As a note, the Terrapin runs somewhere around $1800, so quite a bit more than your price range.

Yeah. I think 12-1500 yards is going to be my max, without getting permission from neighboring land owners. There are no public ranges with those distances around here. Have not heard of any private ones either. I doubt my 257 will reach any further than that reliably. I dont have another rifle set up for distance....so at this point im really just looking to get good at ranges 1500 and in.

You are not a vendor and not allowed to sell here on the Hide. You also do not have the requisite 100 posts to sell.

I have a bushnell elite 1600 that i got from ceylonc here on the forums that has worked good for me. I have ranged cows at 1243yds with ease. I have also got tree tops at 1687yds but was kinda slow at that distance. I verified both with Google earth to be with in 3 to 4 yards

I've got a Bushnell Elite 1500 I bought used & haven't been able to range much past 400 yds (my red truck in bright daylight). Not sure if this is typical, or I've got a bum one, or a bad battery.

Anyhoo, I just end up using my GPS. As long as you can set a waypoint at your target, you're golden.

Good luck!

Steel-r -- are you setting a waypoint when posting the target, then hiking over to your shooting position to do the calculation? That seems pretty smart of a way as well, I think I am going to use that for my practice sessions.

Just won't help with unknown distance like in the a competition.

That's a good idea steel-r. I think i will do that until i get the range finder i need.

I have a solution. Invite me and a couple buddies and we will bring a PLRF-05 and some stakes and flags and stake out whatever distances you want.... and shoot for the day of course. at the end of the day you will have your distances for free

also, the Zeiss PRF is nice at about $650 new

Stay away from the Leupold range finders. Have had 2 of them and neither would pick up silhouette sized targets past about 400-500 yards. My next one will prob be the Bushnell 1600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not learn to range it with your scope? </div></div>

Im working on that.... I did try to range it with my reticle. I just have a hard time when the target is between moa's. For instance, I knew my target height is 17 inches. At the 800 yard mark the target was just barely bigger than 2moa. Well, 17 inch target at 2moa is 850 yards. I guess I need to work on estimating values between MOA marks.

The Leica CRF 1600 is awsome and small. If we were allowed the Vector series in Australia I would have purchased one of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a solution. Invite me and a couple buddies and we will bring a PLRF-05 and some stakes and flags and stake out whatever distances you want.... and shoot for the day of course. at the end of the day you will have your distances for free

also, the Zeiss PRF is nice at about $650 new </div></div>

I would have to see about that. It is a good idea and I would probably learn a few things, but it is my wife's Uncle's cattle farm. They are wonderful people, they let me hunt and shoot, but I want to make sure I don't wear out my welcome if you know what I mean.

Is Birmingham Cigar your store? May have to drop in next time I am in B-ham.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msu33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a solution. Invite me and a couple buddies and we will bring a PLRF-05 and some stakes and flags and stake out whatever distances you want.... and shoot for the day of course. at the end of the day you will have your distances for free

also, the Zeiss PRF is nice at about $650 new </div></div>

I would have to see about that. It is a good idea and I would probably learn a few things, but it is my wife's Uncle's cattle farm. They are wonderful people, they let me hunt and shoot, but I want to make sure I don't wear out my welcome if you know what I mean.

Is Birmingham Cigar your store? May have to drop in next time I am in B-ham.</div></div>

Sure is. We have a couple in the Birmingham area. Let me know if you ever make it down this way

Outlaw45 - do you have a Gunwerks G7 BR2? I would be very interested in seeing a review comparing it to the PLRF-05 (Terrapin by Vectronix). If it ranges as well as the PLRF-05, it may be worth considering. Its got way more features, and is less expensive (though not a lot), however the specs look less impressive than the terrapin.

Thanks, all the features of the ballicstic calulator in the unit are nice -- whats missing in the Leica 1600 in my opinon. I just wish for that price it had a functional range of 2000 yards. If the reticle was decent and the beam divergence the same as the terrapin, then it would be a slam dunk.

I will read the review now, but thanks for posting this, its always great to have options, and this is one that had totally slipped by me!

Just returned a Bushnell 1600 ARC after using it for a weekend. The brightness level wasn't enough and would washout and I had a hard time reading it in the bright sun (Nevada desert).

other than the display washing out, how well did you like it? I am leaning toward the leica 1600. I think it gives you inclination and declination, just doesnt give you the corrected range? Someone correct me on this if I am wrong. Got a slope doper in the mail for the mean time.

Go with the Bushnell Fusions, with your budget, it is the best bang for your buck

I run a Leica 1200 scan...love it...works on reflective items out to 1300-1400, smaller non reflective stuff from 800-950 ish.

It has been my personal experience that sometimes what is needed is a stable platform. At the longer distances it becomes difficult to stay on target and takes a little longer for the signal to get back at you. Try mounting the range finder you already have on a tripod in the mean time until you have acquired the funds you need to purchase your next upgrade in the range finder.

Regardless of which rangefinder you purchase you will still need a stable platform if you began to have problems ranging targets at the extreme ranges you plan on shooting. Good luck in your venture and shoot straight.

+1 for the Bushnell 1600, Mine hits 1200 on dirt & desert veg, 1700+ on buildings. The longest was off sandbags at a small mountain/hill w/ dark volcanic rocks and scrub brush at 1860!

Thanks Here2Learn. Right now I plan to get a Leica 1600. From what I read it is better at ranging smaller targets beyond 650 yards.

Hey, I should be passing through B-ham at the end of the month. Im heading to mobile for some deep sea fishing. I am currently out of my favorite sticks...Depending on when I pass through...I may pick up a few for my trip.

I have a bushnell 1500 and it will range rocks and trees well out to 1200-1300 yards. I found that a stable base such as a tripod or monopod really helps it range.

yeah, I already have a small tripod. Its too bad you have to buy the $100 adaptor to put leica's on a tripod.

@MSU I thought it was OK and ranged decent out to 1400 yds for desert hillsides. I'm going to try the Leica next and see how it works. The display washout thing was my biggest issue.

+1 for Bushnell Elite 1600. Right out of the box on 106 degree day with the Texas sun beating down I was able to consistently hit a radio tower repeater at 1035 yards. I did a similar posting under the rifle scope section that may be able to help you in your decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not learn to range it with your scope? </div></div>

To what range and what size of target?