• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I need a smith for a M1A

HCICVOGT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2019
Baker, FL
Looking for a quality smith to rebarrel my dads SEI M1A. He had it custom built back in the early 80s for high power competion by Scott Medishia(?). That man has since passed away. My dad put a new op rod and springs in 12-15 years ago but maybe shot it 300 times sinse then mainly for load development and hunting. If I'm thinking right all that needs to be done is a barrel swap all other parts currently on the rifle are in working condition and should not need to be replaced. Ulitimitly this rifle will be passed down to me soon as my dad hasn't shot a rifle in a few years. I'll be ordering a barrel here soon to send to the smith with the rifle. Is there anything else I should buy prior to sending off? I'm planning to buy a Sage EBR chassis also as thats what my dads plan were for it. I've talked to Chad at LRI but he don't mess with M1As he was my first choice.

Looking for a quality smith to rebarrel my dads SEI M1A. He had it custom built back in the early 80s for high power competion by Scott Medishia(?). That man has since passed away. My dad put a new op rod and springs in 12-15 years ago but maybe shot it 300 times sinse then mainly for load development and hunting. If I'm thinking right all that needs to be done is a barrel swap all other parts currently on the rifle are in working condition and should not need to be replaced. Ulitimitly this rifle will be passed down to me soon as my dad hasn't shot a rifle in a few years. I'll be ordering a barrel here soon to send to the smith with the rifle. Is there anything else I should buy prior to sending off? I'm planning to buy a Sage EBR chassis also as thats what my dads plan were for it. I've talked to Chad at LRI but he don't mess with M1As he was my first choice.

Give JY a call

Services | Wolfe Firearms

Ted or John, both are good choices and will take care of you.

I don't know Derrick.

I have had great results with Kreiger M1A/M14 barrels.

John has his own line of barrels.

Another vote for Wolfe. He has built or serviced a few M14's for me

Geoffrey Corn
Match Armorers Shop
Springfield Colo.
Old navy match armorer, the last of that generation of m1a builders and competitive shooters.
Built my NM to a M25 , shoots 3/4 moa with awc spectre 2k suppressor.

Another vote for Jon Tank. He has done several builds for me over the years. If memory serves me correctly, he shares a building with Cylinder & Slide.

I wish you could expand on why the barrel would require replacement. Typically such barrels as your Dad's exhibit around 4,000 or even 5,000 rounds worth of useful bore life.

To confirm such a need, I'd suggest giving it a thorough cleaning, fire some rounds to reseason it, and then shoot some careful groups to establish its true accuracy performance. Unless some significant accuracy degradation is obviously apparent, rebarreling at the time may well be premature.

Greg

Roland Beaver was well known back in the day. Old Corps Weaponry not sure if he is still around, must be over 90 by now. Seen his work at Perry many years ago. Westwind rifles Dave sullivan barreled an M14 from a blank for me. real nice work.

Jon Tank built me 2 M1A rifles with Mcmillan stocks and I loved those rifles.

Isaac McKaskill at Cassatt Gun Works (RETIRED 2112)
Ron Smith at Smith Enterprises

From an earlier post I made on M14 trigger work.... The recommendation extends to complete rifles:

"I have been doing business with Clint McKee, Fulton Armory principal , since they have been in business some 30 odd years ago. I cannot speak highly enough about the people and the rifles they produce. I chased a Distinguished Riflemans Badge in the late 80's and early 90's with two Peerless M1A's. No failures to extract, no failures to eject, no failures to feed over Many thousands of rounds in competition. Shooting through several physical handicaps, I consider myself very fortunate to have reached Distinguished High Master and know that doing so was in very large part attributable to the fact that I was shooting Fulton Armory weapons. I have since commissioned them to build M-110 and M-39 clones... both of which, with the sole exception of a broken extractor on the M-110, have functioned flawlessly.

I seldom give high recommendations with regard to vendors, but I will tell you that you can Place your trust in Fulton Armory for all of your Service Rifle parts and service needs. You will not be disappointed.

Regards
JHC"

From an earlier post I made on M14 trigger work.... The recommendation extends to complete rifles:

"I have been doing business with Clint McKee, Fulton Armory principal , since they have been in business some 30 odd years ago. I cannot speak highly enough about the people and the rifles they produce. I chased a Distinguished Riflemans Badge in the late 80's and early 90's with two Peerless M1A's. No failures to extract, no failures to eject, no failures to feed over Many thousands of rounds in competition. Shooting through several physical handicaps, I consider myself very fortunate to have reached Distinguished High Master and know that doing so was in very large part attributable to the fact that I was shooting Fulton Armory weapons. I have since commissioned them to build M-110 and M-39 clones... both of which, with the sole exception of a broken extractor on the M-110, have functioned flawlessly.

I seldom give high recommendations with regard to vendors, but I will tell you that you can Place your trust in Fulton Armory for all of your Service Rifle parts and service needs. You will not be disappointed.

Regards
JHC"

Regardless who built the stick, getting the High Master card with the M1A is good shooting.

What's your badge number? If you distinguished in the 90s our numbers must very close. Mine is 1234.

In reading the history of the rifle.... I would send it to LRB. They are, without a doubt, the most knowledgeable folks in that particular field. They have access to genuine USGI parts, should it need any. Hand cycle the weapon before you send it to them. Remember how it feels. When you get it back, feel the difference in how it feels to hand cycle it..... And that's just a start on what they can do. Remember, it's a Battle Rifle....

Hobo