• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need advice on a rifle for a 7 year old

tag_heuer

Lead Farmer and Garbage Collector
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
NOR CAL
I'm looking to buy my son his first rifle this coming October. I had initially looked at the cricket and the savage rascal, but I think they're a bit small for him.

He's shot my Ruger 10/22, but the stock is a bit long for him to comfortably shoot.

I went to cabelas and was recommended the Ruger American compact version, which I really liked.

I need some advice on what to get him. I want a .22LR, and I'd like him to have a bolt action. Is the American appropriate or should I be looking at other models?

Please help!

I was looking at Crickett, and the Savage offering. They seem to lack any room to grow into. I looked at the Marlin youth model .22's and was impressed that the finish everything else seemed way ahead of the other two offerings. Currently a Red Ryder has too much LOP for my son/daughter (7/6). I bought them a Daisy Model 10 carbine BB gun that seems to work until they grow into the Red Ryder.

Im liking the walnut offerings from Marlin

Marlin Model 915Y

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/915ys.asp

wish it had a magazine though. The synthetic stocked rifles have a magazine. My son shouldered the synthetic Marlin and it seemed to fit him well.

Last edited:
Have the marlin 915Y for my 8yr old daughter. Fits just right. Like you I think it's a better rifle than the cricket. Ruger also makes a compact 10/22

I've been hearing that marlin has quality control issues. As far as the cricket, it's a bit small. And the 10/22 is awesome. I love mine. I prefer he have a bolt action for his first gun instead of a semi auto

Depending on what you're going for, Savage makes some very accurate rifles right out of the box. I have had my 8 year old nephew shoot my Savage MkII and he had no problems. Savage makes a RASCAL YOUTH RIFLE that is 31.5" but is a single shot, which i believe is good to learn on. My Savage MKII is 39.75" and my nephew had no problems shooting from the bench, so if you want em to grow into it that might just be the way to go. Rossi also makes some youth matched pair rifles that are pretty nice. Single shot with interchangeable barrels; including either a .17hmr or a .22lr with fiber optic front sights and the other is a .410 gauge shotgun with brass bead front sights.

I've been teaching kids classes this summer. We did three First Steps Rifle classes last week. The Savage Rascal is great for kids up to 10 or so. We have three of them. The CZ Scout is the cream of the compact rifles IMO, very accurate and will "grow" with the kids by simply changing the stock. We have four Scouts. We stopped using semi autos for kids. The volume of ammo consumed made it cost ineffective. The single shot bolt gun was best for us. The kids enjoy the single shot guns as much as the semis and the return on investment is greater as they take more time making the shot count as opposed to ripping through a mag of 10 or more.

The other option is to cut down the 10/22 stock. LOTS of factory stocks out there for cheap as people "upgrade" their 10/22s. Heck, if you want to shorten the barrel, same thing, factory replacements are easy to find and pretty cheap.

I have a factory barrel and stock lying around. :)

I've been teaching kids classes this summer. We did three First Steps Rifle classes last week. The Savage Rascal is great for kids up to 10 or so. We have three of them. The CZ Scout is the cream of the compact rifles IMO, very accurate and will "grow" with the kids by simply changing the stock. We have four Scouts. We stopped using semi autos for kids. The volume of ammo consumed made it cost ineffective. The single shot bolt gun was best for us. The kids enjoy the single shot guns as much as the semis and the return on investment is greater as they take more time making the shot count as opposed to ripping through a mag of 10 or more.

Scout looks awesome. I like that they put some quality into it. Why should a kid have to put up with a tube gun that rusts just because their kids?

The wrist looks kind of fat, adult sized, on the Scout. Any problems for small hands?

For his size now. I like the Savage Rascal. You can adjust the trigger so the little guy aint jerking to get it to go off/ When he grows out of it, let the next kid use it or sell the rifle.

I bought my 6 year old a savage rascal and its absolutely perfect. Surprisingly accurate. Hell I even like shooting it

CZ 452 Scout for 300 bucks brand new is a lot of rifle for the money,,,same 452 action and trigger as the full size rifle s and shorter lighter stock and barrel,,they shoot lights out,,

When I started shooting many years ago (about your sons age) my father bought me a Cooey.
Cut off about 1.5" (as I recall) from the end of the stock. Fit me fine and when I got older he screwed the piece he took off (which of course he'd saved) and I was set to go.

When I started shooting many years ago (about your sons age) my father bought me a Cooey.
Cut off about 1.5" (as I recall) from the end of the stock. Fit me fine and when I got older he screwed the piece he took off (which of course he'd saved) and I was set to go.

Great point, now that you bring this up I've often read about folks cutting the stocks to fit their wife, or children. I sure it shouldnt be too difficult to reattached the severed piece.

Look at the single shot combos from Rossi. They have a youth version, with barrels for .22, .410, and .243 if I remember correctly. Gives him something to grow into, and not a bad little survival rifle to have around the house.

My vote is the savage m2 as well. It has a great trigger, threaded barrel, optic rail mount and though it has a heavier fluted barrel it is very light weight and easy to handle. It's one of those rifles that they will never outgrow even in adulthood.

I am with Mr. Big. Bolt action enforces discipline, patience and control. If you really want to do it right, get a single shot adapter. No doo-dads or add ons. Just a basic bolt action rifle.

When the child grows, you can just swap out to a longer stock. All things being equal, it will shoot a lot more accurately than a Marlin or Remington or anything else at that price point (or the Ruger American if truth be told).

For his size now. I like the Savage Rascal. You can adjust the trigger so the little guy aint jerking to get it to go off/ When he grows out of it, let the next kid use it or sell the rifle.

I guess part of me wants him to keep this rifle and not sell it. I just don't want him to grow out of it within a year and then I'm looking at buying another rifle for him

trying to get a rifle they will "grow" into is stupid
no 7 year old can manage a savage or ruger
buy a rifle that fits your kid like a cricket or henry youth model
when they grow out of it sell it and buy a bigger rifle
if they cannot hold it standing offhand, kneeling, or sitting they shouldn't shoot it

I sure it shouldnt be too difficult to reattached the severed piece.

Not hard to reattach, but some work to make it look good. When you cut it off, you lose some to the cut. So the profiles don't line up when you put them together. Not super difficult, but not just screwing it back on.

The Browning BAR in .22LR was my childhood gun....
Light weight
Tube fed

3358283_01_browning_22_semi_auto_lr_640.jpg

3358283_02_browning_22_semi_auto_lr_640.jpg

if they cannot hold it standing offhand, kneeling, or sitting they shouldn't shoot it

And making blanket judgment calls is 'stupid' as well.
I started shooting when I was 8 with my cut down Cooey.
Within the year I had my bronze, silver and gold CIL shooting pins (from a youth program in Canada at the time).
It was a suggestion...nothing 'stupid' about it.

What about the Ruger American compact version? I don't want him to "grow" into it. But the cricket is on the smaller side. And a 10/22 is way too big, plus I really want to avoid a semi auto.

Having had an average sized 7 year old now a 16 year old I can tell you that from personal experience that cut-down or compact versions of larger rifles will only suit a child to shoot from a benched stance. Now I know some old timers shot with this and that back in the day but with many manufactures making youth rifles and the fact you can sell them at equal or more than what you paid for it I would suggest buying a youth rifle to start then move up. My son started shooting at 8 as well as some of his friends I took with him. I also am a rifle shooting merit badge instructor with the BSA so I have seen it first hand. Get a rifle that your child can hold without muscling it in the proper stances and he/she will develop the right skills that will take him/her into adulthood......yeah it was a blanket judgment but like I said I have taught dozens of kids shooting and as my screen name says I was part of the world largest gun club as a 4 time expert shooter and range coach.

Having had an average sized 7 year old now a 16 year old I can tell you that from personal experience that cut-down or compact versions of larger rifles will only suit a child to shoot from a benched stance. Now I know some old timers shot with this and that back in the day but with many manufactures making youth rifles and the fact you can sell them at equal or more than what you paid for it I would suggest buying a youth rifle to start then move up. My son started shooting at 8 as well as some of his friends I took with him. I also am a rifle shooting merit badge instructor with the BSA so I have seen it first hand. Get a rifle that your child can hold without muscling it in the proper stances and he/she will develop the right skills that will take him/her into adulthood......yeah it was a blanket judgment but like I said I have taught dozens of kids shooting and as my screen name says I was part of the world largest gun club as a 4 time expert shooter and range coach.

All well and good...my beef with your post is the term 'stupid'...you know, try that (antiquated, I know) idea of being polite to others.

My daughter has a cricket. ..she is 6 and a little on the tall side.. the cricket still seems a little big for her....I am 6'3" and I love shooting it.....it is not too small for me. I like the single shot action for a new shooter....by far the safest way to go, and it forces the shooter to value every shot.

I am with Mr. Big. Bolt action enforces discipline, patience and control. If you really want to do it right, get a single shot adapter. No doo-dads or add ons. Just a basic bolt action rifle.

When the child grows, you can just swap out to a longer stock. All things being equal, it will shoot a lot more accurately than a Marlin or Remington or anything else at that price point (or the Ruger American if truth be told).

the Scout comes with the single shot magazine adapter,,but it will accept any Brno 1 2 3 4 5 ,CZ 452 453 455 magazine

I got my daughter the CZ. It's great for her now (she is 9). And she is a good sized kid. My son who is 7 still can't really shoot it as it's too big I got him the savage rascal. Pretty nice. But the CZ is way better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All well and good...my beef with your post is the term 'stupid'...you know, try that (antiquated, I know) idea of being polite to others.
Well how about this
I apologize if it offended you but I still think it's "inappropriate" to get a shortened, cutdown, or whatever you want to call it rifle for someone as young as 7. They make youth rifles for a reason.

I picked up the cz 452 scout for my daughter. single shot adapter is great, as well as accepting my 455 mags. It'll be another year or so before she's big enough to shoot it well/correctly. As for now it's a great toy for me too.

I appreciate all the advice on cutting stocks, but I'd prefer to keep the rifle as is. Plus I don't trust myself from screwing it up.

I know I want him to have a bolt action to learn the basics.

My first rifle was a little Anschutz Achiever. I think it weighed as much as the savage m2... I seriously think the savage m2 is a bargain and with the threaded barrel so much fun to shoot with a can. The polymer stock is what cuts the weight while maintaining a good solid bore.

Single shot bolt action isnt necessary to teach discipline. Lever action, and pump action .22 works just fine.

Iron sights only, until they become proficient with repeating the same sight picture. I suggest shadow box drills for this.

Another thing to look at, is something they can safely snap cap or dry fire with. Rugers are designed to allow dry firing, so is the S&W 15-22 Performance Center model. So you might want to look in to weapons that can safely be dry fired for practice.

I happen to really like pump action .22LR and lever action .22LR. You can learn good discipline on both. If I was going to use a bolt, I would go ahead and get a 5.56. That way you can reach out a little further with some steel targets when it comes time, but if your going to use a bolt .22LR Browning has some really nice stuff out, so does Mossberg, I have fired an old Stevens that was wonderful.

the CZ rifles are designed to be able to dry fire with no damage,,the firing pin has a stop inside the bolt that stops it just before it would hit the barrel if not loaded,,

I need advice on a rifle for a 7 year old

I was in the same place recently, I went with a Ruger American Rimfire. You can buy the shorter butt from the Compact new for $20, and it's a quality rifle he will never outgrow.

I mounted a set of Tech Sights for now, when he's older we'll put a scope on it.

Last edited:
I was in the same place recently, I went with a Ruger American Rimfire. You can buy the shorter butt from the Compact new for $20, and it's a quality rifle he will never outgrow.

I mounted a set of Tech Sights for now, when he's older we'll put a scope on it.

What was his thoughts on the rifle? Did he like it? Did it fit him? Anything negative?

I bought my kids Mossberg 702s. Good shooting little rifle. Not heavy, 10 rd mag and it only cost right around 100 bucks. Many a squirrel have fallen to the mighty Plinksters in my safe.

Go with a Marlin Buckaroo or 915 youth. Purely single shot and has a chamber that is designed for easy feeding. I started with one when I was five and it lasted me for a lot of years and even more dead critters/cans/paper soldiers. I agree on current Marlin being sub-par at best but if you can find an older one it is well worth it. Just bought another used one off Armslist for 125.00 from a boyscout instructor for my 9yo daughter and it fits her perfectly. We found the cricket and Rascal to be a bit on the small side and like usmcchet9296 stated, a cut down rifle might be a bit too much to handle for little arms. I pulled out a Savage Mark 2 Fv-Sr w/ 16.5 barrel and it was just a bit too much for her to control.

What was his thoughts on the rifle? Did he like it? Did it fit him? Anything negative?

He was thrilled, but at his age he doesn't really know the difference between a RAR and a Cricket. The fit is about the longest he's comfortable with, but it does fit pretty well. He'll appreciate it one day though.

Savage rascal. It is small enough that my 6 yo, at the time, could shoulder it easily. Yet, I find it comfortable and fun to shoot. Sometimes I have to remember that it is his gun and when it is out, it is so that HE can shoot. Three years later the rifle is still a good fit and the peep sight is surprisingly good. He is lethal from 80y on a 4in target...

Another option would be an AR pattern 22lr with a collapsible stock. This WOULD be a rifle that could grow with him. Whatever you decide, buy a rifle that fits now.

unless it's a surprise gift, take him to the store and have him shoulder it, look for signs of any struggling or discomfort with the rifle. kid's come in different shapes and sizes too, perhaps a youth rifle that is designed to fit the masses may bee too small or too big for any 1 kid.

google fu the Length of pull of what fits. if there's a type of rifle mentioned in this thread that is not on the shelf, at least you'll have a good idea if one is going to be too big or too small.

if you want to keep the rifle "as is" and not cut anything - and if it fits - i really like the ruger american compact's size, ability to lengthen the pull in about 2 minutes. the finish of the metal, quality of the sights, bolt angle, etc. is really nice for the price. lots of features to it either open sights or scoped, adjustable trigger, etc. - i'm really impressed with mine, and it's pretty accurate on top of it (really like eley target yellow box), and handle bulk ammo well too. you can get a single shot adapted magazine if you want to go that route, or keep as a repeater.

the CZ scout is a whole lotta rifle for the price too, that is if it's going to fit. can just buy a magazine to have it be a repeater. either the CZ or RAR would make a fine rifle for a Youth rifle that would probably remain in the safe for years. i think the CZ scout receiver could be bolted to a standard sized one later, but not 100% sure.

the rascal has a surprising amount of features to it too, but once he grows a bit, it's on to another rifle as the receiver is shorter than the standard MKII and can't be bolted up to a standard stock.

marlin / rem 915 doesn't have the front mounting screw, much like the old model 25, but is single shot. you may not be able to bolt that up to a standard stock later, though a XT22Y compact in synthetic has it and you can change it up later with a replacement stock and is a repeater.

cricketts are nifty, but again, once outgrown, it may be time for another rifle. they do offer replacement stocks, but i don't know if they are full sized. single shot and manual cocking with the knob on the back.

i think the most versatile out of the bunch is the RAR and CZ scout with "big gun" look, feel, and designed to grow with a shooter.

Last edited:
unless it's a surprise gift, take him to the store and have him shoulder it, look for signs of any struggling or discomfort with the rifle. kid's come in different shapes and sizes too, perhaps a youth rifle that is designed to fit the masses may bee too small or too big for any 1 kid.

google fu the Length of pull of what fits. if there's a type of rifle mentioned in this thread that is not on the shelf, at least you'll have a good idea if one is going to be too big or too small.

if you want to keep the rifle "as is" and not cut anything - and if it fits - i really like the ruger american compact's size, ability to lengthen the pull in about 2 minutes. the finish of the metal, quality of the sights, bolt angle, etc. is really nice for the price. lots of features to it either open sights or scoped, adjustable trigger, etc. - i'm really impressed with mine, and it's pretty accurate on top of it (really like eley target yellow box), and handle bulk ammo well too. you can get a single shot adapted magazine if you want to go that route, or keep as a repeater.

the CZ scout is a whole lotta rifle for the price too, that is if it's going to fit. can just buy a magazine to have it be a repeater. either the CZ or RAR would make a fine rifle for a Youth rifle that would probably remain in the safe for years. i think the CZ scout receiver could be bolted to a standard sized one later, but not 100% sure.

the rascal has a surprising amount of features to it too, but once he grows a bit, it's on to another rifle as the receiver is shorter than the standard MKII and can't be bolted up to a standard stock.

marlin / rem 915 doesn't have the front mounting screw, much like the old model 25, but is single shot. you may not be able to bolt that up to a standard stock later, though a XT22Y compact in synthetic has it and you can change it up later with a replacement stock and is a repeater.

cricketts are nifty, but again, once outgrown, it may be time for another rifle. they do offer replacement stocks, but i don't know if they are full sized. single shot and manual cocking with the knob on the back.

i think the most versatile out of the bunch is the RAR and CZ scout with "big gun" look, feel, and designed to grow with a shooter.

Thanks so much for the advice. It's probably one of the best replies I've got. I have a month and a bit before his birthday. Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards the American compact.

I really appreciate your input.

I'm looking to buy my son his first rifle this coming October. I had initially looked at the cricket and the savage rascal, but I think they're a bit small for him.

He's shot my Ruger 10/22, but the stock is a bit long for him to comfortably shoot.

I went to cabelas and was recommended the Ruger American compact version, which I really liked.

I need some advice on what to get him. I want a .22LR, and I'd like him to have a bolt action. Is the American appropriate or should I be looking at other models?

Please help!

Henry Mini Bolt Youth .22

My daughter was 5 when I did this, 6 now. It's a Savage MK II with the LOP chopped to 9". It's much too heavy to shoot offhand, but prone or off a tripod works great. I'll probably buy a cricket or whatever eventually, but I like teaching her from supported positions.

E4D7589F-73CA-42EC-A3C0-B533D20293A4-4169-00000A1B597C372D_zpsa4c585b1.jpg