• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need an educated opinion on a .308 option.

skullandbones69

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
oklahoma,united states
Im new to this site but i figured this would be the place to get an opinion on a rifle ive been considering. Ive been dabbeling in long range shooting and picking up info here and there where i can on the subject. But i bought a savage 10 fcp hs presicion like a year ago and i choose that over the remington after reading on the two and decided the savage just sounded like a better out of the box rifle because i cant afford the high end stuff. But ive started looking in to a DPMS Panther LR-308 but in order to get that i would have to trade off my savage. I dont want to make a mistake i will regret so i thought i would get some out side opinions on the matter by people that might know. They both say there a sub moa rifle but ill admit id like to not have the pain in the butt of working the bolt if i could get the same acuracy from a semi auto. all im doing is paper punching with my rifles but i want my round to go where it was intended to go and do so consistantlley. so what would be the bettter choice and if ones better then the other then by how much? any input would be appreciated.

Re: I need an educated opinion on a .308 option.

Personally, I would keep the Savage.

You will have fewer problems loading, and shooting, and more versatility with ammo with the bolt gun.

you guys reply fast. lol. thats kinda what i figured. i get over anxious when it comes to geting new guns. just wanted to hear it from some one else.

keep the savage. the semi is nice for engaging multiple threats / targets in rapid succession. if you need a .308 (for longer distance shooting) semi to engage targets, you still have enough time to make a tactical retreat.

for paper, keep the bolt. you can take the extra $ you'd pay for the .308 semi to make further enhancements to the savage (if need be)or other creature comforts, or for more ammo.

plus i don't know how the hunting rules are where you are, but if you wanted to use your savage for hunting, you are good to go. many states and provinced don't allow semi's

Im in oklahoma. we still have real freedoms left here when it comes to guns we can still have .50 cals and we dont have to register our guns when we buy them and you can use semi auto to hunt you just have to have a certin size magazine.

You'll have that savage for the rest of your life, and your kids after you. I think you should have spent more and got the Remington, but at any rate, I wouldn't go selling guns unless you really need to. Even your car won't give you the kind of mileage a rifle will, and a house hasn't got it beat by too much.

They say forged M14 receivers only fail after 300,000 rounds. If you let off a grand a year then count on it being shot on a Martian battlefield someday...That's why when people tell me they're gonna go for the cheaper model to save a hundred bucks I just shake my head. I say you should save up and just have 2 guns.

send me the savage and the semi and ill test them for you.

I own both a Rem 700 bolt, and a DPMS LR308 semi auto. I'd sell the auto and keep the bolt if I could only own one... and that ain't happening, either.
smile.gif
God bless Texas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I would keep the Savage. </div></div>

1+ Right on. It's extremely difficult to for a gas gun to beat a bolt gun, especially at long distance. Keep the Savage. You won't regret it.

Keep the savage and save up for the LR. I have the LR and love it, but would rather take a bolt hunting bc of weight and I don't like mine to get scratched up and wet since it cost so much, but get both can't go wrong like that

yet another keep the bolt vote, don't sell a gun you like you will just regret it later, be patient save money up then get the LR

I think you'd be able to find satisfaction with the DPMS, but IMHO, bolt guns are just inherently more accurate and economical to shoot than semi's in general.

Additionally, the Savage probably supports user mainenance and modification at least marginally more easily than the AR platform. Conversely, if you're looking for an accurate semi, I believe the AR platform would be the best choice among the semi's; just be prepared to pay more for the accuracy.

I've owned a lot of rifles, but only three are in my 'never sell' category. My Custom Savage .260 Ghost Dancer, my M1 Garand, and my Winchester '94AE .44 Magnum. Maybe also my Win M70 .30-'06.

I no longer own any .308's, they have been replaced by .260 and .30-'06.

Greg