• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need an UBER SPOTLIGHT!!!

madppcs

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2011
    Forest hill, Louisiana
    Ok, heres the deal. I need a spotlight that can light up the world at 500-600yds. I have some coyotes and they piss me off every night. I used to work as an avionics tech and I am familiar with the Nightsun. But this is mostly helicopter applications. I am looking for something in the 15-20 million candlepower range. I have shopped around, but the ones I have found have some (Half-assed) reviews. And the nightsuns are in the 1000+ price range. The current one I use is a 3million candlepower and is only capable at seeing eyes at 300+ yards. I am confident in making shots at this range,but anything further I am only aiming at eyeballs which is extremely difficult.
    Anyone have some good ideas?

Re: I need an UBER SPOTLIGHT!!!

There was a guy aroung here a few years ago that used to drive around at night spotlighting coyotes. He would see there eyes and just aim behind a little bit and bam there ya go. One night I was out checking my heifers and witnessed it. Worked like a charm, except, when I caught him and tore him a new one, then made him pay for the calf of mine he had just shot... well he doesn't "spotlight" anymore...

Well Im not shooting calfs, nor shooting on someone elses property. This is my property, and I don't own cattle. I just need info on an incredible spotlight....
    I have searched Cyclops and a couple other brands with mixed reviews. I want some info on a light that's gonna light up 500-600yds.

Look into Powa Beam HID Spotlights from Australia. We do a lot of spotlighting in Australia and these guys make a VERY rugged light that is top of the tree followed by Lightforce.

http://www.powabeam.com.au/categories/Spotlights/

I assume under the light Coyote eyes are red like our red Fox ? Cattle eyes are Green ?

Not sure. This is a first for me. Ive never had a coyote problem before, never hunted them before either. And I don't have any cattle or any animals except my dogs.
    Ive walked the back of my property and haven't found any carcasses or any reason for all the chaos that I hear at night. But it drives us and the dogs wild. So I want to put an end to their bullshit,lol.

I've got a polarion ph50 that really reaches out there for a handheld unit, there's also the surefire hellfighter. Your best option though would be calling them in with a foxpro and layin em out with a shotgun or AR. Yotes usually scatter when lit up with white light anyways, so a long shot at them under white light wont be easy.

We use Lightforce's 240 Blitz. It will meet your needs.

The Hid go light (by stryker) is awesome, kinda spendy though, i have a red lens on mine, remote control is great....

I have the Cyclops 15 million cp but I have not really been that impressed with it. If you have a Costco membership they get them in around April and sell for about 60 bucks. More of a flood then spot pattern I feel. I have heard people talk about putting high output bulbs in them and it supposedly works well.

The lightforce stuff is pretty awesome as well.

Good luck,

The lights mentioned look as if they would be hard mounted to a vehicle? Or maybe I just looked at the wrong ones. And whats a good conversion from HID/LED to candlepower? Some of the lights listed are in wattage. And I don't have a reference to compare lights in wattage.

Get the light force! It shine up my hillside no problem

Use the search feature, and look for a post I did back in Sept. 2012 entitled "Burning Up the Night". I'm part Amish or something so I can't link you to it. I purchased an ACRO X990 to use on critters and it's my report on it. It's hard to beat 3,000 lumens when you have to ID targets.

It doesn't matter what light you have, if you hit a coyote with white light at night, you most likely will not get a chance to shoot at him.

Light force for sure!!! I have two of them. One is the blitz, either 12 volt batt or cigarette lighter. Other one I have is on a rechargeable batt pack. Both very well made and will light some shit up.... The batt pack one is only 300,000 candle power. Where light force is the shit in in there relecting houses. They are far better. Put this light up to my buddies 10 mil cabelas cheep one. Wasn't even close. He gave his to his dad and bought the same one I have. They are pricy, but better stuff usually is!

They also have lens covers. Red, blue, green, amber and my favorite ir

Why not go the Night Vision route and call them in. Your not going to reach out to 500 yards with most night vision but if you call them in closer you should be able to tag them no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't matter what light you have, if you hit a coyote with white light at night, you most likely will not get a chance to shoot at him. </div></div>

Totally depends on if he's "educated" or not...
    smile.gif

Mike

Pshaw... silly little battery powered lights. Good for reading in bed.

Last year, I found this outside a barn. Farmer said "Take it away."

lampbefore1.jpg

Here it is as I was restoring it:

lampduring4.jpg

And finished:

lampfinished1.jpg

lampfinished2.jpg

At 600 yds it turns night into day. At close range, you can use it to make your morning toast. And works as a tanning bed.

Now on my deck. When you absolutely, positively have to read a book at 1000 yards on a moonless night... nothing like a U.S. Navy Aldis Signalling and Fire Control lamp with 1000 watt bulb and parabolic reflector.

I can light ants on fire at 200 yards.

Ok, my $0.02. Back to your Maglites... ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

DUDE ^^ That is straight up cool!

Awesome restoration too! Now we want to see some pics of it lighting up the backyard.

This is the best handheld long range shooting spotlight available to man at the moment.

http://shop.omglumens.com/DEFT-X-DEFTX.htm

It has 900,000 lux (candela) which is 4.5 times brighter than a polarion ph50, but with a tiny pencil beam (needed for 600m!)

Other than that, you need HID.

SIrhr wins x100. Nice work!!

Go NVG as stated above, could have more uses, and be more useful when trying to 'capture' Wile E Coyote.

some may not approve of the pulsars, but its a budget option. or the PVS's.....FLIR or ??

Nice sirmrmechanic
    grin.gif
    that thing is very cool.

OP: not sure what your laws are down there but a dirt cole and some #3 foot hold's might be the ticket for ya, plus they work while you sleep;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now we want to see some pics of it lighting up the backyard.</div></div>

litup_zps9b48a131.jpg

Not mine. The guy who I got this picture from helped me find parts, etc. If I remember right, the tree line is a couple hundred yards away.

It is fun. But rifle is very barrel heavy with it attached. ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

use the Lightforce !

have ran one for many years, white light at it's finest !

longest taken coyotes with it were at 459, 422, 407. Countless under that.

The HID model is incredible, little heavier, and more $$, but well worth it !

mine are all the 170 size.

If you can come up with the coin, how about a 6x Raptor Gen 3+ Night Vision Riflescope. From talking to folks who've used them/owned them, they're the s**t. Raptor NVG Scope There's a great write up in a gun magazine with an abridged review on them a few years back. It was when one was mounted on an APA, then Patriot Arms, rifle. And how well it was able to discern even small targets at LONG ranges.
    That said, does anyone know if a clip on NVG unit would be good for work at the distances in question? And if so what unit(s)?

On the flipside, you might be able to go the low tech route to get the job done. I know it's a long shot, no pun intended, but how about some MilSurp parachute flares?
    The big catch that I possibly see with them is getting them close enough to your target's general area to illuminate things sufficently. As I don't think they're designed with launching them to reach out past 1/4 mile. Although I could be wrong. Ah, that, & with them, you'd have to consider how dry things are. Wouldn't want to accidentally start a wild fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DennisHoward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thought i would throw this out there..

</div></div>

The SUN in a box

I've had a night force for years. You will be surprised at how little light you actually need.

Buy the rheostat dimmer, it extends the useful life between charges. I use it turned down low to call and spot eyes coming in and then switch to full power for a clear ID and to make the shot. I have the 170 which is the larger light and I have used Dikem spray to slightly ting the lense red. You lose a little distance from dying the lense but it is a softer light. You can gradually brighten the light and it spooks fewer coyotes.

Even dyed the light spots eyes out to 350 and gives a clear ID on a coyote out to between 150 and 200. Get a n e-caller and try to get them close 100yards or less. Distance at night is tricky and their exposure will be limited.

It'll be holdovers and KY windage because shots will be quick. If you think that you are going to dial turrets out to 500 yards in the dark while holding the light, you have a pretty high opinion of yourself.

I have jumped out of bed many nights to go chase a pack around the farm. I have killed a few that way but really just lost a lot of sleep. I kill lots more sleeping in the truck and waking up every hour or two to scan pastures.

I have also had great success cruising the pastures in a golf cart and crossing paths with a coyote by chance.

Daytime calling is another story. It's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

I'm not sure what you're looking or in terms of portability, versatility etc... Here's a look at a few Olight products, including a couple throw lights and a portable hi power search light. I'm a fan of both Fenix and Olight, they both make solid products that are extremely competitive for their price. They both specialize in hi intensity lights. The M6 featured below can be found around $400, I'm considering one of these as well as one of the more portable dedicated throwers. Olight has a line called the SR (search and rescue) with a handful of high powered handheld with different abilities.

It might help to know if there are any specifics you're looking for. I would be weary of manufacturers that base their specs on candlepower; they are often inflated and without knowing he reflector type, bulb, and lumen rating it's difficult to see if the beam type will suit your needs. Lumen rating and candle power or candela can't be calculated based upon the one figure as they are a measuring different abilities.

If you haven't already been there it might be helpful to check out candlepower forums.com, there's a wealth of information and reviews there with countless hours of good reading.

If you're already into lights then I retract my previous comments or just disregard. I don't mean to suggest you're not already familiar with them.

Beam-shots and specs from Olight's M6 Marauder (battery pack or plug in)

e94bce20ed87c464591488447e11e950_zps8dad681f.jpg

226d88841362fd73d18b4ed20254547e_zpse8d11b93.jpg

67d344d061e9be2d149b70386b6249d2_zps82e274f7.jpg

Compared to one of their hi power handhelds (not the new dedicated thrower) SR-90 and its specs
    83663995526bbdbbb56aabd07ddf74c2_zps9355e5aa.jpg

dba39328078e3ba7ed3922f6b78c1489_zps03baa4d7.jpg

This is the original SR-95
    b19d1a77e81c8fa4a294040fc13cc2a6_zps9d2f816c.jpg

Here's the specs for the SR95S UT (1,000 meter throw)
    344a6aad69c61170bad5548d852c2eb6_zps39cd2bce.jpg

If you don't need the ability to move around not (plugged in), there are HID's you can look at that will likely be cheaper. Also, I would take a look at Fenix lights as well, they are also very well made.

Hope that helps,
    Good luck with your search-

My vote goes with the lightforce kits. I've got two 170 strykers and they are friggin' insane. I can just imagine what the 240 blitz will do.

Here's my coyote medicine, 22-250 all geared up for night killing.
    TrustyRusty22250.jpg

The housings are super lightweight and the head can be turned to focus a spot or flood like the old mag lights. So, it's easy to tune to each situation.

Good Luck,
    Breeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote goes with the lightforce kits. I've got two 170 strykers and they are friggin' insane. I can just imagine what the 240 blitz will do.

TrustyRusty22250.jpg

The housings are super lightweight and the head can be turned to focus a spot or flood like the old mag lights. So, it's easy to tune to each situation.

Good Luck,
    Breeze </div></div>

Run same light with the 1000 Velocity reticle in a NF scope. No need to dial or hold over like Stockdog mentioned
    grin.gif

PEQ 2A and a clip on NOD. Costly, but worth it. The lamp works pretty far out there, I was amazed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote goes with the lightforce kits. I've got two 170 strykers and they are friggin' insane. I can just imagine what the 240 blitz will do.

TrustyRusty22250.jpg

Good Luck,
    Breeze </div></div>

Run same light with the 1000 Velocity reticle in a NF scope. No need to dial or hold over like Stockdog mentioned
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

The velocity reticle would be nice. I usually just dial a 250 yard zero and am within the kl zone out to 350 or so. I also find judging distance in the dark can be a little tough.

Nice setup on the 22-250.

I have also tossed around the idea of wiring a toggle switch that would alternately run a handheld that I could switch to the scope light when I am ready to shoot.

This would keep you from pointing your light and gun at everything you shine. I usually detach my light from the scope while scanning. Then put it back to shoot.

I also use a walking stick to shoot from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now we want to see some pics of it lighting up the backyard.</div></div>

litup_zps9b48a131.jpg

Not mine. The guy who I got this picture from helped me find parts, etc. If I remember right, the tree line is a couple hundred yards away.

It is fun. But rifle is very barrel heavy with it attached. ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

Just cool!

How hard was it to find all the parts, looks like it was missing a good bunch when you started?

Lightforce is great, but not neccessary. I use the Calling for Predators C4P Striker lights. Call the yotes inside 200yds and shoot em.

Another vote for the Lightforce, SM turned me on to them and so glad I listened. I loan out all the other brands I have bought up to that point to friends.

Well it doesn't have to be handheld portability. I can deal with something fixed. Ill just keep my tractor in position. Im literally walking out of my back door and have 800yds total to shoot. But they normally stay around this creek on my property that is about 300yds

Here is the view I am talking about.
    IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

Here a review from CPF about the Marauder from Olight, there are comparisons and a number of tests to check out.
    click here (candlepowerforum review)

For more reference, here's the older Nightcore TM 11. Must say the four smaller heads on the new one is pretty strange looking. Similar to the TK-45, wonder how focused it will be. This one (nitecore 11) I believe is rated 2,000 lumen, higher than the smaller Olight but the light spills off a lot before this 100 yards. It has a fairly shallow reflector
    9d8c20992142a0a70110f1d1f5679e0d_zps036d25d5.jpg

A 35W HID
    e2661e02e83838c93a160a171ad7c514_zpsb667f86c.jpg

Another look at the Maurader
    4e1637154b10f68dcd4a8f5bba3fa9d9_zpse70fa51f.jpg

These are the higher end Olight series from the beam shots, sans the Maurader which you can see in the outline of other photo (light cannon). They are also traditional design but are incredibly impressive for their size
    129b53da5d94e4038646878538aebd98_zps144af4ea.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Just cool!

How hard was it to find all the parts, looks like it was missing a good bunch when you started?</div></div>

Almost all the parts were there. I just didn't take any pictures until it was stripped down. I had to get thumbscrews, repair a lot of stripped thread holes and find a new bulb and mounting block. The glass was totally abraded, so found replacement NOS lens on eBay.

Thing was WW2 Navy. So over-built that it will last forever. Had literally 1/8" of paint on most of it. The staunchion bolts are amazing. Solid copper 5/8" diameter. I wrote Navy historical folks a couple of e-mails to see if I could track light to a ship. Farmer said it came off the carrier USS Enterprise... but I have my doubts. Odds are it was just another Destroyer, Liberty ship or minesweeper...

The shutters were missing, too. I found a complete set, in original Navy Tin that was property of an area Boy Scout Troop! Donated by the Navy in the '50s to give scouts something to train morse code with. Shutters bolted right on, no restoration needed. They all got trained for their shooting merit badges... I got some shutters.

It was a fun restoration project. Lots of bead blasting! But it could not be left to rot...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Dont worry about lumens, worry about Lux or candela (cd)

The marauder above is 5000 lumens but only 102,000 lux.

The deft-x is well below 1000 lumens but 900,000 lux. Therefore it is 9 times brighter.

Lumen is total light output, lux is the brightness of the spot.

I have a $14.70 light that is 50,000 lux, or half as bright as the $500 marauder.

Or look at the thrunite tm31mb from OSTS, at 400,000 lux and only $295

http://www.onestopthrowshop.com/OSTS-TN31mb-TN31mb.htm

OSTS and OMGlumens are the same guy, just different lines of lights.

Chris

I have what appears to be a headlamp off of a train engine that I plan on restoring. I think it will make an incredible spotlight. Just need to find out how many volts the powersource needs to be.

That OSTS is 1 bad motha! Hard to decide having something the size as that Lightforce when that OSTS is that powerful as a little handheld.

Lightforce is cheap, heavy and clunky.

OSTS is expensive, light and manoeuvrable.

I have a 50,000 lux set up at the moment, works fine, but I don't need the range you do. Distance that the light travels reduces at the square root, so double the lux only gives 40% more distance or something, costs a lot to get double the range.

Chris

The Nitecore TM 15 is new to the market but is getting a lot of attention from the flashaholics at large. I haven't personally evaluated one yet, but have been impressed with some online opinions. Might be worth a look...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont worry about lumens, worry about Lux or candela (cd)

The marauder above is 5000 lumens but only 102,000 lux.

The deft-x is well below 1000 lumens but 900,000 lux. Therefore it is 9 times brighter.

Lumen is total light output, lux is the brightness of the spot.

I have a $14.70 light that is 50,000 lux, or half as bright as the $500 marauder.

Or look at the thrunite tm31mb from OSTS, at 400,000 lux and only $295

http://www.onestopthrowshop.com/OSTS-TN31mb-TN31mb.htm

OSTS and OMGlumens are the same guy, just different lines of lights.

Chris </div></div>

I have to respectfully disagree with this argument...
    I mean no offense in any way, this is just my position on it-

Discarding a lights cumulative ratings and/or measures of lumens, candela, lux and distance to fixed .25 lux (throw ability), reflector size/shape/ material, emitter type and power source in favor of only inspecting a measure of brightness at one meter won't provide enough information to decide the usefulness or worthiness of a light. Without other relevant information explains very little. If needed to be narrowed down to two, I would place importance on lumens and lux.

It's like accessing a cars performance by only knowing horsepower produced at the engine, without knowing torque, BHP, the cars weight, transmission...

Also to mention: the ergonomics, quality of housing, its length or weight, user interface, durability, circuitry and protection, run times, beam pattern and color/temperature that define the use for the light (whether it be a pen light, HID or flood light) and account for levels of quality.

As mentioned in your example above... A light may have a much higher lux rating at 1 meter even though the other may have a higher lumen output... But how much weight does that hold when someone is looking for a search light inside 400 yards? The proportion of candela or lux to total lumen output is incredibly important and absolutely relevant. The pencil thin beam of a light with a high lux value and low lumen rating (thats disproportionate for some purposes) may leave much to be desired if trying to light up a large area. It certainly can be useful but doesn't suit all needs.

I don't mean to come across argumentative, I just don't see how one could suggest a light to be inferior and overpriced based solely on lux rating. The combination of over 5,100 lumens focused to over 100k lux is no slouch.

I'm not trying to justify that $400 is required to make such a feat possible (its output) (as DIY projects can reach and exceed many commercial offerings and far cheaper) but rationalize what has been put together in products like the X6.
    Some differences to consider:
    Battery powered external pack (with ability for direct 12v ac/dc plugin)
    Handheld and compact (6.3" long)
    Brightness modes
    LED Emitter performance that has rivaled some HID's (no bulb changing,
    lamp temps, no warm up stage 'instant on')
    Power/Battery pack indicator

In fact, on the other end of the spectrum, the the SR95S UT smaller handheld is rated at 260k lux, more than double that of the marauder. However, it's dedicated for throw and has 1/5 the amount of total light output. Because of the design, It does not have the capacity to illuminate areas as large. Neither their lux or lumen rating make either superior, they're just different products utilizing different emitters, reflectors etc... This particular model reaches over 1,000 meters throw in a traditional tube design, also battery powered, a great feat for an LED in its class.

For example, here's the high lux ultra throw model SR95S UT

3afd0d460d8478bc62e09277d562a5fc_zpsd484e8d6.jpg

The regular SR95 (higher lumen, lower lux)
    22ca7ea3ed16063b7d04561abd9bdacd_zps230befaa.jpg

Again the X6
    226d88841362fd73d18b4ed20254547e_zpse8d11b93.jpg

They're just different. The throw model is incredible but ls so tightly focus it leaves much around it unlit. It's much brighter than the x6 and is utilizing the new SBT-70 emitter.

DIY lamps can be just as or more powerful for significantly less money and I have great respect for those able to accomplish that. Out of inexpensive materials we can make lights with insanely high lumen ratings or brightness but combining and balancing them with all of the other elements into something that's functional and in form that's compact and need specific is an art itself.

Again, I don't mean to stir anything up. It just doesn't sound right to dismiss products companies such as Olight, Fenix, jet-beam/nitecore, 4Sevens as overpriced and/or underwhelming. There's more than brightness that's going into these products that we pay for.

^^Looks like your setting shit on fire with that light!^^ LOL

Is that a handheld? Or some type of mounted light? And how far are those trees?