• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I need dies to just size the base.

BruntBronze

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2019
I'm losing cartridges to the base expanding. Both wsm and 308 based brass.
I thought I found an option but lost the like.
I thought a buddy would help with a modified die but I was ghosted.
Any help out there?

I have a couple of dies made for me by a machinist. They're used with an arbor press and push the case completely into the die.

They're a PITA to use, but if you want 100 percent sizing to factory spec, they work. I use them for ammo set aside for my "war reserve.::)

Any experienced master machinist can make them for you.

Have a gunsmith take a 308 & 300 wsm die and cut the neck and shoulder out of it and take some off the bottom of it, then you can adjust it down further and size all you want.

Rcbs makes small base dies for both as well.

Reactions: NamibHunter
I realize this is an old thread, but for those who come here looking for answers:

Best i can tell RCBS still makes a 308 small base die, but discontinued the 300 WSM small base die.

Forster, Whidden and Warner will make you a custom die if you send them two cases. Not cheap but a solid solution.

PVA is not listing their push through die for sale anymore, but who knows, if you call Josh and ask nicely, and they are NOT super busy, he might be persuaded….

Porter Precision Products in Lake Jackson Tx made me a custom die at a reasonable price, by modifying the Redding body die. I sent Kenny two FL sized cases with the Redding die. Superb workmanship.

Works great, the fired case is now sized down 2.7 thou at the 200 line near the base of the case.

Btw: Recutting your chamber a tiny but larger at the base might be the best solution.

Last edited:
Small base dies size the entire case back to factory and really works the brass hard to get the base down to size. Get a ring die to just size the base only.

Check out pbike on accurate shooter forum for a ring die or Paul on the FB posts.

Attachments

• 2416B826-B69F-4611-AE28-13BCA3DA50C8.jpeg
    2416B826-B69F-4611-AE28-13BCA3DA50C8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • BAE32051-D862-4BB5-96C7-4D3CC47F708A.jpeg
    BAE32051-D862-4BB5-96C7-4D3CC47F708A.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: sinister