• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors I need OPINIONS

dragonlvg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2007
laurel Montana
Gents, (and Ladies)
I would like your OPINIONs for a carry piece between<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"> <span style="color: #FF0000">these two options only!!</span></span></span>
the choices are;
#1 full grip, 3.5" Bbl 1911 style 10mm (Brands wont be named)
Upsides,short barrel, low price (($300 purchased used)so I'm not out a lot if it ends up in the black hole known as the Evidence Room, which unfortunately has a history of "losing" Seized Self defense firearms)nice feel in my hand, decent accuracy at 15-25yds
Downsides, Full size frame/grip, hard to find good, affordable ammo on a consistent basis, possibility of over-penetration?, rough/sharp edges that make carry uncomfortable(these are going to go away when i find a smith to radius them off.) Sharper recoil impulse
#2 3.5" 1911 with Officer length frame .45 ACP
Upsides Excellent accuracy to 25 yds, ammo availability in low penetration varieties is very good nice smooth edges and corners to prevent hangups on draw.
downsides if it ends up in an Evidence locker I am out a SUBSTANTIAL amount of cash and the pistol is no longer available, meaning replacement would be LesBaer, Kimber, or Nighthawk and I live on a military Retirement while I go to college.
Both of these guns are in my safe and i have been alternating carry just to get some idea and cant make up my mind which one should be my primary. i spend range time with both and have confidence that they WILL work if i need them to, and hit what i point them at.
please give me your opinions and a short reason why
thanks guys

Re: I need OPINIONS

I have always liked the 10mm round. You get .41 mag ballistics from an autoloader. Carry a G29 myself. Is the 10mm reliable? Just like stated, from an economic point of view, if something does happen, you are not out that much $$. The smaller frame would be easy to conceal. Maybe think about handloading 10mm. You can find 10mm ammo online at some decent prices now. My preference would be the 10mm.

The 1911 is most reliable in .45 ACP.

That should be enough to decide this.

My favorite cartridge is 45 acp. My favorite platform is the 1911.

I'm not a big fan of 10mm, but my needs and personal tastes my differ from yours.

I find the 10mm "punchy" to fire. I like the lazy recoil of the 45 much better. IMHO I think the 45 is much more versatile for edc and much more pleasant to shoot. by no means do I think the 10mm is painful to shoot I just find the 45 more enjoyable.

Your .45ACP. Ammo availability is the primary reason as you're on a budget and need to be able to train as often with it as you can afford. The other side is comfort. Anytime a CCW is uncomfortable that person opts more often to not be carrying it. It should feel like it's part of you, not an annoying boil on your hip.

Sounds like it is of considerable higher quality too, and I would think that would mean higher reliability. If that is the case, then it's a no-brainer.

I never have nor will I ever in the future use the "evidence locker black hole" as a consideration point into what I stake my and my family's lives on.

Oh, you wanted an opinion on the question in your post, sorry.

#2. 7+1 should be plenty and the grip is prints more than the slide on a carry 1911.

-disregard that, go with #1 and trade me #2 and cash for my POF
laugh.gif

#2 Why fix what ain't broke. 10mm is overkill unless you plan on shooting through 2 bad guys at a time.

Not trying to pee in anyones cheerios but heres my <span style="font-style: italic">personal assessment</span>:

I read a lot of things in the OP's original post that make me think your priorities/paradigms aren't quite right.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Your carry piece should be comforting, not comfortable.</span>

If you have to shoot someone in self defense you will be out exponentially more money than the value of a firearm for attorneys fees for the wrongful death or personal assault <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">CIVIL </span></span>lawsuit you will have to deal with regardless of the Bill/No-Bill decision the local DA gives you.

Lowlife Criminals tend to breed/marry/knock up/hang around with other low life's that will rob you 10 times worse than their dead/shot relative could ever dream of. Only they will do it in court and put liens on your car/house/children/whatever.

Carry what you are the most comfortable with regardless of price.

That being said I like the .45, love the 10mm, but <span style="font-style: italic">think </span>either one is just as good as a 40 or 9mm with similar shot placement. The ability to conceal the Officer sized grip better would be the deciding factor <span style="font-style: italic">TO ME</span> all other things equal. To hell with magazine capacity, Self defense shootings happen inside 3 feet, 3 seconds, and 3 shots. The ability to effectively use your gun determines your chance of survival a ton more than caliber/capacity.

In my book brands should be named, I've seen lots of guns shit on themselves (even Glocks) and have a list of manufacturers I avoid...

as to Brands, the reason that they are not named is simple, PLATFORM/CALIBER, when Brands get brought into it many of us including myself have a love/hate for a particular makers stuff. AT THIS TIME the .45 is still my primary CCW,and most likely always will be due to familiarity with how it acts. I take comfort in the weight and feel in my hand, not how it feels in a holster(the .45 rides an Askins type and the 10 is in an IWB) . the 10 MM has so far proven reliable but it is still over 300 rounds from what I consider the minimum for me to say "yes I will carry this when my family is with me". comfort when during carry is comparable, printing is comparable, 10 is longer gripped .45 grip is thicker. I have found a local gent that will help me tune the outside of teh 10 to fit what i want it to look and feel like, mainly needing to radius off certain edges and corners that catch when trying to re-holster.recoil for my carry gun is not a consideration. 10 is sharper but if I am hyped on adrenaline due to a emergency situation I don't think I will notice. other than the first two mags when i go to the range I wear a shooting glove to soak it up for both guns, once i have proven to myself that reliability is comparable I will post what the guns are and what I decided.
Guys, I greatly appreciate the time and effort put into your responses with this, and hope to continue this dialogue as time goes by. the comments have been pertinent and cogent to my question, as well as being restricted to the parameters I set at the start.
thank you
connected side note,I am a scrawny bas+3rd (5'9" 160)so concealing a full size piece is a challenge regardless
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to pee in anyones cheerios but heres my <span style="font-style: italic">personal assessment</span>:

I read a lot of things in the OP's original post that make me think your priorities/paradigms aren't quite right.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Your carry piece should be comforting, not comfortable.</span>

If you have to shoot someone in self defense you will be out exponentially more money than the value of a firearm for attorneys fees for the wrongful death or personal assault <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">CIVIL </span></span>lawsuit you will have to deal with regardless of the Bill/No-Bill decision the local DA gives you.
</div></div>

Many states have laws indemnifying a self-defense shooter from civil liability. Mine does. If yours doesn't, start petitioning your legislature.

If I shoot you because you threaten me, you won't get a dime and I probably won't even get an attorney, unless it's to try to sanction yours for pleading a frivolous lawsuit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to pee in anyones cheerios but heres my <span style="font-style: italic">personal assessment</span>:

</div></div>

Many states have laws indemnifying a self-defense shooter from civil liability. Mine does. If yours doesn't, start petitioning your legislature.

If I shoot you because you threaten me, you won't get a dime and I probably won't even get an attorney, unless it's to try to sanction yours for pleading a frivolous lawsuit. </div></div>

no such love in Texas that I know of. Even though a lawsuit is frivolous, it doesn't mean you don't have to defend yourself from it...

I just went from carrying a full size 1911 to a S/A Champion Operator I'm glad that I did.

Couldnt agree with Aggiesig more--if you end up shooting a human being, the costs of getting a lawyer (even if you are not sued) are gonna be way more than the costs of losing your sweet 1911. You do not get arrested and then not get a lawyer. Period. No lawyer is gonna take your "I blew a dude away, but it was self-defense, I swear, case" without a big-ass retainer. I promise your gun disppearing will be the least of your worries.

Anyway, 10mm is great, .45 is great, just remember you are going to be shooting your absolute worst. Are you better with .45 or 10mm? Me I like guns that recoil moderately. .45 is plenty.

Remember any handgun is weak as shite compared to a 5.56, 308, or 12 gauge. Handguns punch small holes. Matters way more if you hit dude in spine/heart than if you hit him with .45 or 10mm or even 9mm. Gut hit with 10mm way less useful than heart/spine hit with .38 special.

How much can you afford to practice with each? You said you're on a budget. You can prob get 200 rounds of your carry ammo and run it through your .45 at a cost of what, $100-125. My guess is that 200 rounds of carry ammo in your 10mm is going to be $250 or more.

That might answer your question right there. Even in ball ammo,
the last I saw, 10mm ammo is almost double what .45 ACP ammo is. I've switched mostly to 9mm cause I can shoot it a lot more for the same cost as my .45. In the end, it'll come down to the trigger puller, not the trigger....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many states have laws indemnifying a self-defense shooter from civil liability. Mine does.... </div></div>I don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indemnity

See Graham's Rule #1.

well.....
for now the 10 will continue to live in a lockbox in my vehicle. the .45 will continue to be my go-to gun. Dont get me wrong i still like the 10, however I am still not 100% on that piece and if i decide i want to carry a 10 as a woods-gun i have a G20 that fills that role(unfortunately none of the Glock compact or sucompact guns feel comfortable in my hand, the 36 comes closest but still not quite there)
thank you everyone for the opinions.
(one note.around here Self defense cases/shootings tend to be in and out of court within 4-6 months start to finish.(assuming the Grand Jury/DA decides to not issue a No-Bill on the case)

Ok so as I see it you are responsible for the terminal resting place of every round you fire. That said the 45 ACP is my choice it a very good round and would tend to not over penetrate as much as the 10 would. Now for the guns shoot what you shoot best and is the most reliabl regardless of the cost. You will be more likely to train with something you enjoy and as we all know we fight at the level we train...I think you have made a good choice and I hope you never have to prove you made the right choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to pee in anyones cheerios but heres my <span style="font-style: italic">personal assessment</span>:

</div></div>

If I shoot you because you threaten me, you won't get a dime and I probably won't even get an attorney, unless it's to try to sanction yours for pleading a frivolous lawsuit. </div></div>

As long as its ruled as a legal shoot. That is where the attorney can save your ass - I can almost guarantee 100% the other attorney/DA is going to try to nail you for anything he can criminally and show it wasn't a legal shoot. So they don't civilly get everything you own. Does that make you feel better if they get a conviction because you couldn't convince the DA and Jury it was a legal shoot? A person in an elected office has a high probability of screwing you hard whether you anticipate it or not.

Going into court except for a speeding ticket without an attorney and the odds are absolutely stacked against you.