• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I Need Practice, And Somewhere I Can Do It - Atlanta Region

I'm wondering if anyone within, say, 3-hours of Atlanta has any advice (PM me, that's fine) on where I can practice - at least out to 300 yards for wobble error to matter?

Just finished a PRS match over the weekend. It was fun and was to me intended as practice (timed out a lot), but I did terribly... worse than my prior PRS matches.

I watch, I learn, I take advice, I practice how I can, but I have to practice with actual firing at my pace. PRS's "chop chop chop" pace isn't working for me. Part of me wishes there was a version of PRS for amateurs that's only like 8 stages and maybe a max of 8 shots over 120 seconds instead of just 90 so it's easier to get the hang of it.

Just getting frustrated. Seems so unattainable to practice around me. At least without owning land, which I was working on, then the COVID craze on property mixed with this administration's ability to fuel inflation without remorse turned every attainable piece of land I had on the radar into unobtainium in quite the rapid pace.

Any advice is welcome!
Dead Zero would be within 3 hours of you, they have a PRS 22 range and then some barricades you can use to practice centerfire PRS skills with. 20$/mo for the rifle range membership. Strategic Edge also isn't too far from you. Considering you made this post over a year ago, I bet you are a way better shooter now

I have posted similar before and it will be equally unpopular this time I am sure.

Not being sarcastic but I have never figured out why anyone wants to “shoot long range” when they have no place it’s possible or needed.

You don’t swim in the Arctic, scuba dive in the Sahara, snow ski in Alabama.

Not being critical. It simply makes no sense to me.

I have posted similar before and it will be equally unpopular this time I am sure.

Not being sarcastic but I have never figured out why anyone wants to “shoot long range” when they have no place it’s possible or needed.

Being from N Ga myself I have felt that way, for sure.

It would be far easier to take up USPSA than rifle but if that's where your interests lie, so be it. Unless family or friends own land you will spend a copious amount of time in your car seat to regularly shoot 1K yards.

As far as "needed" LOL, its a hobby, so yea. You don't "need" a 125k boat to pull big mouth fishies from the lake either, but there they are lined up by the dozen.

maybe I missed another if there is one or maybe it was just listed I also have no idea on which ranges are still up and running or shut down best of luck finding a range .

Ok yeah, I forgot they are just a black meatball there. I admit the same frustration. But aren't steel plates the same? Use the screen's mil grid lines option to avoid issues. The target board and sensor is pretty big, I hardly think you'll make that big of a mistake in wind call or elevation to "miss" the board entirely on a Known Distance target at 600yds.
Dumb people can't understand that working on the fundamentals doesn't need a match environment.

reach out to Cool Acres in swainsboro ask for Jim through face book. there a prs match this weekend but he does do some open range days. he has 30 years of precision shooting experience he is patient and ranges out to 1200yrds

New facility near Athens hosted a PRS like event last weekend. Wildman on Practiscore

Please forgive my frankness but this comment is pretty short-sighted.

It is important to pursue the discipline of shooting sport you most enjoy and along the way, meet others of the same mindset and demonstrate a desire/need for more facilities to support it. If you sit on your can and do nothing, then that is what you will get. We need to consistently demonstrate the need and it will happen.

As for long range, there are more opportunities than you realize. My club has an 800yd range and supports F-Class so I am kinda fortunate. However, we have guys coming in from NC and GA to shoot in our F-Class matches and the word is getting out. Recently, two more ranges closer to GA have started opening up to PRS and other long range disciplines and the guys making that happen are competitors in our F-Class matches who have witnessed the demand.

As much as I like Long Range, I am really really interested in Extreme Long Range. I finally built a shooting system for the ELR Light series but was sad that in order to compete, I had to travel hundreds of miles because there is not a lot of support for this discipline on the east coast. However, i did learn about and subsequently attended an ELR event in Central VA and had an awesome time. It was well worth the 400mile trip and I found out that the vast majority of the competitors were also traveling hundreds of miles as well with one coming all the way from Alaska. While there, I met a gentleman who is working hard to expand and grow the sport and seeing the demand gave him the evidence he needed to promote and build new venues. Since then, I have learned of a few other ELR opportunities on the east coast. They are still a few hundred miles away but certainly doable.

Long range and Extreme Long Range are not for everyone but I can tell you first hand that once you try it, be careful because it can quickly turn into an addiction. It is a very cool, challenging, and enjoyable sport.

Some of us aren't solely focused on competition.

this is an interesting comment

I would challenge your statement in that we are all interested in competition. For some, like me, the competition is with myself while for others, the competition is with other competitors. I have no illusion that I will ever be a "champion" because i am not someone who adheres strictly to conventional wisdom. I am always striving to challenge myself to learn and improve.

Why practice at all if you have no plan to compete, if with nobody other than yourself? The first things you learn in competition is what you don't know. I enjoy shooting, the camaraderie of being with like minded folks but more than anything I enjoy improving my skill set and seeing my scores improve.

Please forgive my frankness but this comment is pretty short-sighted.

It is important to pursue the discipline of shooting sport you most enjoy and along the way, meet others of the same mindset and demonstrate a desire/need for more facilities to support it. If you sit on your can and do nothing, then that is what you will get. We need to consistently demonstrate the need and it will happen.

As for long range, there are more opportunities than you realize. My club has an 800yd range and supports F-Class so I am kinda fortunate. However, we have guys coming in from NC and GA to shoot in our F-Class matches and the word is getting out. Recently, two more ranges closer to GA have started opening up to PRS and other long range disciplines and the guys making that happen are competitors in our F-Class matches who have witnessed the demand.

As much as I like Long Range, I am really really interested in Extreme Long Range. I finally built a shooting system for the ELR Light series but was sad that in order to compete, I had to travel hundreds of miles because there is not a lot of support for this discipline on the east coast. However, i did learn about and subsequently attended an ELR event in Central VA and had an awesome time. It was well worth the 400mile trip and I found out that the vast majority of the competitors were also traveling hundreds of miles as well with one coming all the way from Alaska. While there, I met a gentleman who is working hard to expand and grow the sport and seeing the demand gave him the evidence he needed to promote and build new venues. Since then, I have learned of a few other ELR opportunities on the east coast. They are still a few hundred miles away but certainly doable.

Long range and Extreme Long Range are not for everyone but I can tell you first hand that once you try it, be careful because it can quickly turn into an addiction. It is a very cool, challenging, and enjoyable sport.
Odd that you assume I do not shoot long range. For years I had a 1/2 mile range 120 yards from my back door on my land. I shot day and night on it. I now can shoot to 1500 yards at a range within a mile of my office. I can shoot on my land to as far as I like since I moved.

I would not own a horse if I had no where to ride it. I would not scuba dive if I lived in a a desert. I would not own a Formula 1 car if I had no access to a track. To each his own.

Why practice at all if you have no plan to compete, if with nobody other than yourself? The first things you learn in competition is what you don't know. I enjoy shooting, the camaraderie of being with like minded folks but more than anything I enjoy improving my skill set and seeing my scores improve.
I just realized I'm in the competition forum. Nevermind.

• Haha
Reactions: ballisticdaddy

I would not own a horse if I had no where to ride it. I would not scuba dive if I lived in a a desert. I would not own a Formula 1 car if I had no access to a track. To each his own.

Sorry but I stand by my initial comment in response. This attitude makes no sense to me.

I will always encourage people to never give up on their passion. If you want to shoot long range, do it. if there is no range nearby, find the closest one and do it or collaborate with someone to build one.

If you live in a desert and want to scuba dive, go on a vacation to a beach resort or potentially relocate to someplace where you can pursue your passion.

Imagine where we would be today if Henry Ford decided to wait for roads to be built before creating the Model T

• Haha
Reactions: ballisticdaddy
No idea why you are sorry. You have no idea how little you or your comments mean to me. Nothing to be sorry about.