• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need schooling on triggers

r1rn04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
GALAX, VA
Ok Im tired of junk triggers in my ars , Ive had timmney, jard, milspec so far, Who makes the best unit and why? Geissele, jewel, etc

Re: I need schooling on triggers

Geissele. Why? Because that's what I've read everywhere. Pretty scientific, I know. I have one in my AR-10 and I really like it. It's light, crisp, and adjustable.

The choices are overwhelming. Single stage, two stage or hybrid. Anybody shed some light or give an opinion? Is there such a thing as a great "all-around" AR trigger? One that can works great for fast jump shooting as well as slow controlled target work?

Geissele SSA and for a lighter choice the SSA-E. Both are two stage and great all around.

I have tried a number of triggers, Jewell, Chip Mc, Geissele, RRA, Armalite, Jard and landed on a favorite for single and 2 stage. For single stage, the Chip McCormick is nice, quite a bit of overtravel but it breaks clean, for two stage the Geissele is hard to beat, pricey but worth it.

Kirk R

I have a Geissele Hi-Speed NM trigger in an LR308. It required a little fitting of the safety, and needed a slight adjustment after installation, but breaks super clean around 3.5#, and reliably sets off match and surplus ammo. I have nothing but praise for it at this point (other than the price).

I really depends what are you using the rifle for. Can you give some specifics?

Have you attempted a search? If not please utilize the link in my sig line.

Good luck with your shopping.

I highly recommend the ATC SR Gold, it's already become the only trigger I want to have in my ARs. Try one and I'm betting you'll buy one, if not more.

I like JP triggers for Ar-15's and my DPMS LR-308.

John

Its such a personal preference. I really like the 2 stage triggers from Geisselle, but some folks like really crisp breaking single stage triggers.

If i were to buy a single stage again(i put them in my guns alot) I would recommend a Timney or a McCormick.

I have heard good things about the JP triggers and they appear to be reasonably priced.

my rifle is primarily a target gun then a hunting rifle second, I guess my biggest gripe about the jard and timney is you can get bump fire if you let the rifle free recoil,or even a light grip. Ive searched the forums but cant find info on what makes any specific trigger group better than any other or for any specific application. Guess what im looking for is do i need a 2 stage with long heavy 1st stage and light second, or do I need a single with more weight? and i also tried to stone the mil-parts all I did there was create junky not many people around here use an ar for anything other than just blasting through ammo. Its a lot of fun to shoot better with my "sloppy automatic" than some so called tack driver bolt guns

Geissele is currently the choice of Crane NSWC for the SEAL Mk-12's & 18's

They make both two stage, such as the DMR trigger and several great single stage triggers, such as the Super 3-Gun trigger.

Having tried virtually every other trigger on the market the DMR and Super 3-Gun are the ones we use most.

Wilson also makes a great trigger which is a modular unit and super easy to install. It's parts are all CNC and EDM machined tool steel (same as Geissele) and they work in .308's as well as the 5.56 AR's

Down side is neither are cheap and unless you have a pretty high-end gun may be somewhat wasted on a box stock low end AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my rifle is primarily a target gun then a hunting rifle second, I guess my biggest gripe about the jard and timney is you can get bump fire if you let the rifle free recoil,or even a light grip. </div></div> <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span>

I can't speak for the Timney, but I use Jard 1.5# adjustable triggers on my target/varmint AR's and I have never had a problem with bump fire. No offense, but it sounds like you either need to adjust your triggers or learn how to control your trigger finger. I believe the lightest Timney offered is about 3#, which isn't a hair trigger by any measure.

Seems like your plan for the rifle is similar to what I use mine for, I love my Geissele SSA-E, so much I now own 3 since I converted all my AR platform rifles over.

If it's a bit light for you the SSA is a bit heavier.

When you come by the shop to pick up the reciever set you can try my Pact AR Gold, JP and I may have a Wilson COmbat 3 G in hand. All 3 are great options as is the Geissele. MY current preference currently avaible for AR's is by far the new Wilson Combat 3G

I shoot and prefer Giessele 2 stage triggers. Great triggers and great people. If there is a better trigger than Giessele 2 stages I don't need it.

My experience with Geissele triggers have been excellent. I'm using a Geissele Hi-speed National Match 2-stage trigger in the DMR configuration. It's as expensive as a Wilson TTU trigger, but the Geissele trigger is fully adjustable to what you like in a trigger.

I agree the Geiselles are top quality kit and the folks their are outstanding. I have sold quite a few to my customers (and will likely continue to do so) but from a personal preference standpoint the Wilson is my current favorite. The single stage vs. 2 stage preference is almost as bad a Mil vs MOA with both camps sure they are right

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jp all the way..

Geissele is ok if you are willing to settle for second best </div></div>

Swap that around and I'm in agreement....

I have a WIlson in one of my AR's and it's very smilar to my M700 trigger. I really don't like any take up on rifles, and the Wilson has very little. I have not fired thousands of rounds with it, so I'm wondering how it will do in the long run. It's construction looks first rate and it couldn't be easier to install. The hardest part is removing your old fire control group. The down side is that it's not adjustable, although it worked very well right out of the box. I only shoot reloads but I have never had a problem igniting CCI primers.

Just buying a timney 3lb single stage for my AR, hopefully I'm not making a dumb choice, fuck the shit shit shit DPMS LPK trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jp all the way..

Swap that around and I'm in agreement.... </div></div>
swap that around and i would be a liar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jp all the way..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geissele is currently the choice of Crane NSWC for the SEAL Mk-12's & 18's

They make both two stage, such as the DMR trigger and several great single stage triggers, such as the Super 3-Gun trigger.

Having tried virtually every other trigger on the market the DMR and Super 3-Gun are the ones we use most.

Wilson also makes a great trigger which is a modular unit and super easy to install. It's parts are all CNC and EDM machined tool steel (same as Geissele) and they work in .308's as well as the 5.56 AR's

Down side is neither are cheap and unless you have a pretty high-end gun may be somewhat wasted on a box stock low end AR.

</div></div>

The Geissele 3gun triggers are not single stage. They are actually hybrids. 2 stage triggers with stages perfectly blended to feel like a single stage.

I have used multiple Geissele triggers and all have been great. For a good all around I would recommend the SSA or SD-C. Although my favorite is the SD-3G (not for precision work). There is nothing as smooth, quick, and reliable as the SD3G, IMO.

I have installed and used all of the following. Geissele SSA-E, Bushmaster 2 stage match, Rock River 2 stage match, Chip mcormick, and Jewel.

My favorite trigger is either the Geissele or the Rock River 2 stage. Both are very nice. Both dropped in easily. Very consistant feel and breaks. The rock river is a touch lighter than the Geissele, but not quite as crisp.

The Jewel was super crispy and light weight, but lost its setting, rendering my rifle unshootable in the field.
frown.gif
I removed it because I was not willing to have potential malfunction when hunting. The Jewel install was a VERY difficult process.

Bushmaster Two stage = shit. Difficult to adjust, and would not hold settings... Also gritty, and needed constant moly lube to keep it smooth. Sent it back to them to smooth it out some, and when it came back it felt the same-bad. Stay away

Chip Mcormick single stage-- Got a letter in the mail stating that this trigger will cause my rifle to go full auto. Sent it back to them, and MONTHS later got my trigger back. Currently run it in my M4 because I have not bought another rock river or geissele. This is a nice trigger, but I just prefer the two stage feel more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jp all the way..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us </div></div>

i dont even have to ask...

i know for a fact you have never pulled a jp trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jp all the way..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us </div></div>

i dont even have to ask...

i know for a fact you have never pulled a jp trigger. </div></div>Geissele and JP are two totally different triggers.

While Geissele is one of the leaders in AR triggers, I think that some just boast the Geissele name, just because. IMO, Geissele is one of the best because they have so many models for different applications and their compatibility between all AR platforms (AR15, AR10 and variants of), their durability and also lock time.

But, one thing they don't have yet is a single stage trigger similar in feel to a good bolt gun trigger. For that application, I think the JP excels.

I am not knocking Geissele in any way, as I have a few of their triggers and I love them, but I'm just stating the truth.

As a native Texan I greatly enjoyed the BS meter
Have not tried every trigger in an AR, but have used and owned
All the major ones-----GIESS, WILSON, AND AR GOLD are the most desireable IMO.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Geissele is ok if you are willing to settle for second best </span></div></div>

Please explain.

The best trigger is the one you can master on a given rifle in a given role. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt.Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly recommend the ATC SR Gold, it's already become the only trigger I want to have in my ARs. Try one and I'm betting you'll buy one, if not more. </div></div>

So what are you running it on? I've read about this trigger and it sounds promising, but the only review I've found was by someone trying to sell them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jp all the way..

<span style="color: #FF0000">Geissele is ok if you are willing to settle for second best </span></div></div>

Please explain. </div></div>
jp triggers feel like you are firing a tuned bolt action trigger...

dont get me wrong geissele make a great trigger, and i have them on several of my rifles...but if i want the best accuracy i can get out of a AR i am going JP every time....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jp all the way..

Please explain. </div></div>
<span style="color: #FF0000">jp triggers feel like you are firing a tuned bolt action trigger...</span>

dont get me wrong geissele make a great trigger, and i have them on several of my rifles...<span style="color: #FF0000">but if i want the best accuracy i can get out of a AR i am going JP every time.... </span></div></div>

You're saying that the JP triggers are the best for you. I agree.

I also agree that the JP triggers are one of the crispiest breaking triggers I've felt... One of them.

I still disagree that Geissele is what you get if you want second best.

I prefer a two stage trigger, therefore the JP isn't for me. Also with the GA trigger, you get superb durability/reliability. Sear surfaces are wire EDM'd to get a sharp edge and the material used is able to hold that edge very well. That can't be said for the Rock River triggers, CMC, Armalite NM. I've had those too... had.

What that equates to is the same trigger feel for a lot more cycles vs others. No induced trigger creep from sear geometry changing, no accelerated spongy feeling in the trigger break from rounded sear edges, just the same feel as it were brand new.

Plus GA has different triggers for different preferances. SSA if you like a carrot like break, Hi speed if you like the crisp icicle break and adjustments, S3G if you like a fast "single stagish" trigger.

All personal preferance though. I hold GA triggers as one of the best... definitley not second best.
wink.gif

That's the thing with triggers...you're reduced to arguing "feel" which is different for everyone. I had a JP in my SASS. I felt it was a little bit mushy and then at about 800 rounds it cracked. I'm sure it was a factory installation issue but JP did send me a new one.

Installed it myself following instructions to the letter and it felt slightly better than the 1st but still had a bit of creep that made it feel mushy, but notice I keep saying "feel" so certainly some will say I'm crazy.

I personally feel a Timney feels crisper than a JP but whoever makes the trigger in my GAP-10 has the best one I've felt to date, short of a M1A trigger which is in a different league.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best trigger is the one you can master on a given rifle in a given role. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all. </div></div>

big time words of wisdom!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt.Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly recommend the ATC SR Gold, it's already become the only trigger I want to have in my ARs. Try one and I'm betting you'll buy one, if not more. </div></div>

So what are you running it on? I've read about this trigger and it sounds promising, but the only review I've found was by someone trying to sell them. </div></div>

I have been running one in my AR 15 since they came out and it is a great trigger. Only complaint is the damn thing is gold colored (I hate bling). I probably have 4 to 5 k rds using it and no issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Only complaint is the damn thing is gold colored (I hate bling). </div></div>

Well mine is blue and I hate cute so I guess its all relevant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best trigger is the one you can master on a given rifle in a given role. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all. </div></div>

big time words of wisdom! </div></div>

+1

One reason why certain manufacturer's names keep coming up time and time again isn't because they're the newest tacticool BS but rather because a single shooter tries one in their rifle, likes how it feels, then lets his friend try it. His friend likes how it feels so he/she buys that same trigger then someone else shoots on it and they like it and so on and so on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best trigger is the one you can master on a given rifle in a given role. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all. </div></div>

This should be a sticky under "Which trigger is the best?"

He's the smartest member on the Hide, whoever he is.

Single stage: Accuracy Speaks.

Only seasoned competitors and professionals should use a single stage. My opinion. JP's are okay.

Two stage: Geissele.

If you want it light, get the Match Rifle model.

Geissele Match is the best trigger I've felt in an AR platform, and because of how I shoot I definitely prefer (almost need) a two stage in an AR platform. A two stage makes me pay more attention for some reason, bettering my follow through.

Plus I think Bill's a great guy to chat with if you have any questions, John Paul not so much.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This should be a sticky under "Which trigger is the best?"

He's the smartest member on the Hide, whoever he is. </div></div>

Don't go saying shit like that. Some poor soul might believe some of the crap I make up then we'll all be up shit creek without a snorkel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt.Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly recommend the ATC SR Gold, it's already become the only trigger I want to have in my ARs. Try one and I'm betting you'll buy one, if not more. </div></div>

So what are you running it on? I've read about this trigger and it sounds promising, but the only review I've found was by someone trying to sell them.</div></div>

I'm running it on both my DPMS LR308, and my Mega Monolithic .308 build. I've had DPMS factory, the JP adjustable, and a spectacular Jard, and none of them can compare with this trigger. I've pulled a few Gieselles as well, but to be completely frank, I still think the SR gold is still the better trigger. As Dave said, there is the bling factor, if that bothers you. I personally don't have any problem with it, but if I did I'd just paint it.

I'm an amateur marksman, so the rest of you bear with me but this trigger has been a key factor in getting to where I can get groups like this one:

Target4TopRight.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Only seasoned competitors and professionals should use a single stage. My opinion.

</div></div>

Why?