• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need some advice on a 6.5 caliber build please

Trevor300wsm

Team Pantydropper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hello all,

I have been doing some research on the 6.5 cal and I'd like to either build a rifle in one of the 6.5 options or find one already built, but in my price range. Here is where I need the help of some of you all.

First off, Im trying to keep this particualr build under $1500 not counting the glass, I already have that. This is going to be primarily a LR hunting rifle (inside a 1000yds) , but will see some range time. Unlike most of my builds, I'd like to try and keep this one at or around 10 pounds or less including the my optics (im sure most people know what a NSX 5.5-22 weighs).

** Let me add that I do my own reloading so maybe that will help you all answer some of my quesions.
    ** I'd like to shoot a 130-150 grain VLD/SMK that I can take all sizes of game with from coyotes to Mule deer inside of 1000 yds.

So I need some opinions of the following:
    1.) What 6.5 is most recommended? 6.5X284, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore? Ive read about the shorter barrel life out of the x284 and some say its 800-1000 rounds while some say 3000-3500?
    2.)Long or short action? Ive read the long action to seat the bullets longer and the short to keep the bolt cycle/travel short.
    3.)Here is my main area of question. Do I just buy a rifle off the shelf like the Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 for around a $1000? Or, is there a builder out there that can build me what I want for my price range? Ive read you can get a MarkVII from ER Shaw for around $650-$850, but Ive heard so many mixed reviews that Im starting to think its a crap shoot with the Shaw barrels and rifles. Do I try to buy a donor 700 action and a good Krieger or Benchmark barrel and just ship it off to a smith while still trying to stay under the $1500 mark? If this is the best route, Im thinking of maybe a 700 action, a 22"-24" bbl with a break added, maybe a "take off" HS stock from a PSS or just buy a HS stock? I want this rifle to be accurate obviously, its one of the known positves of the 6.5 caliber. I realize I have to do my part as well, but I'd like the rifle to be <span style="text-decoration: underline">capable</span> of .5" groups with decent handloads and maintain MOA out to distance.
    4.) lastly, do any of you feel there are any other caliber options that I could buy off the shelf that would give me similar matching ballistics. I hear people talk about the .260 and the .264 when talking about the 6.5's.

Im sorry for the long post and all the quesitons, but Ive never actually did a "build" of my own, they've all been built by someone else and then I bought them from a previous owner so Im new to that aspect and I have no clue what smiths charge, ecspecially reputable smiths. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

**If anyone reading this knows a rifle that is for sale that matches what Im looking (in my price range) for please PM me.

Thanks again
    Trevor

Re: I need some advice on a 6.5 caliber build please

Pick up a savage long action with a .473 bolt face. Get one that is in the accustock.

Buy an extra, standard barrel nut, a medium contour 6.5x55 barrel 1-8 twist screw it on and Viola! you have an accurate, lightweight hunting rifle capable of taking game way out yonder.
    I suggest taking a good look at the woodleigh 160 grain protected point bullet.

You will probably have to do a little work on the stock to get an aftermarket barrel to fit.

You have higher velocities than the .260, 6.5x47 etc... and much longer barrel life than the 6.5-284

This model is an accustock model:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/73/products_id/26398

+ new barrel 300 + tools, headspace gages 250

Or you can go to the local sporting goods store, buy the cheapest long action model 700 in '06 or 270 (will be an ADL model), send it to hart or another reputable firm, have it rebarreled to 6.5x55, action trued for about 700, drop it in a B&C light tactical stock (bdl model) buy the BDL conversion from Brownells or add a DBM system

Tikka T3 in 6.5x55

Or what he said.

CZ also makes a fine litlle 6.5x55

6.5-06 Ackley

260 Remington is a short action round with a 308 case, necked down. It has 300 Win Mag drop and wind ballistics with less recoil than a 308.

First you get an action. You have to decide WHICH action. On your budget, get a Rem 700. You can find ADL's for $400 in .308. Actually I think 7mm-08 and 243 will work also (not really sure about that one).

You might be able to use the trigger from the ADL.

Now fit it to a stock. An AICS stock from midway for 308 is a a no-brainer. If you can turn a screwdriver you can "intall" your action. It comes with a magazine. With 260 Remington you can use the 308 magazine that comes with the AICS stock.

Now find a gunsmith that can fit a 260 barrel to your action.

It all could be done for about $1900. Hmm check out Stocky's. A Bell and Carlson stock with their magazine set up would be less expensive. You could also skip the magazine and go with the mag well or just single feed if you really want to scrimp.

try the FN SPR action, they are complete, just add the 22" 6.5x47 lapua barrel and stock and you are done

LR hunting gun in 6.5 under $1500 = Remington Sendero SFII in 264 win mag. Should be able to get one around $1000 to $1100. Then if you desire a different stock than the hs precision that comes on the gun, sell it for about $200 + or - a few dollars and get yourself whatever manners or mcmillan you want.

OKbow87, I guess I overlooked the Sendero in .264. I spent some time on Rem and Savage webiste today, but I missed that one.

Guys I really appreciate all the replies. It's giving me some more options to think about, that's what I needed.

The Sendero would give me a good stainless 700 action to work with and a decent stock that I could have skim bedded. I could take 2" off that barrel and add a break to it as well. It would give me a good platform to rebarrel on if I decided to try the 6.5x55 or the .260.

Any positives or Negatives on the .264 versus the .260 or 6.5x55?
    **I didn't realize the .264 was a belted magnum.

I would consider the .260 to be OK with a short action, and maybe a bit better with a long one, to accomodate both magazine feeding and throat erosion.

But if I were to go with the long action, I would see no reason not to go with the 6.5x55; especially for hunting at extended distances.

I use the .260 for LR match shooting in a short Savage action and hand/single feed, as my rounds tend to be at about a 2.9" OAL. Between borescoping and throat chasing, at 1500+ rounds, consultation with my barrel supplier suggests a bore life of around 2400 rounds.

I would not consider .264 WM. It's a bore burning monster with recoil to match. If you can't get it done with a 6.5x55, you're too far away IMHO. In Scandinavia, the Elk is customarily hunted with the 6.5x55. What they call Elk, we call Moose.

Greg

Another vote for the 6.5x55.

I made master in XTC highpower with a Model 70 in 260 Rem. Great round.

I have a CZ 550 in that caliber (for hunting) and your question has me thinking that when the 308 barrel in my M700 prone rifle dies, I should rebarrel it to 6.5x55 just to be different.

Trev, PM responded to.

Greg

While I would rebarrel a .308 to .260, I would rebarrel a long action .30-'06 to a .280.

I see the long action as a candidate for more case capacity than the 6.5x55, and would consider the .30-'06 to be a reasonable case capacity upper limit, and the .280 to be a combination of the most efficiency with that capacity while still having a good bullet selection. It should feed perfectly out of any magazine configured for the '06. A 6.5-'06 has a loyal following, but I'd prefer something a bit less overbore.

If I were going with factory ammo only, for hunting, it would be the .270, as .280 ammo is not as easy to find on shelves. But for LR target work the .280 and handloading should work better.

Greg