• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

I need some optics for my Armalite AR-10

demonsmokr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
The Lone Star State
I keep hearing different stories when choosing a scope for a 308 AR. I have been told by some that the AR-10s are more harsh on scopes than bolt guns. I want a durable, accurate scope that wont cost more than my gun. Im not after 1000yd, I plan on staying under 600yd, and I want to use it for hog hunting mostly. But once I get my gun built all the way, I want to shoot the shit out of it and want some glass that will last. Im not necessarily against combo optics like Aimpoints and magnifiers and what not, but I dont want to bolt a bunch of heavy crap to my gun. So my question is, whats the best setup for semi long range hunting and combat optics, for under lets say 1000$, and will last as long as my barrel atleast?

Re: I need some optics for my Armalite AR-10

Well, lemme tell ya... You wanted an AR-10 for its semi-auto capabilities... so to really get the most out of it you need a scope that can keep up. My vote is for a Horus Vision Hawk 3-12x50. It runs $550 out the door. That scope will allow you to shoot out to 800yds without even touching an elevation knob. Sounds about right for what you want. If you want to dial a scope for multiple distances you have time to cycle a bolt.. defeating the purpose for the semi. US Optics and i think even Leupold have the option for the Horus Reticle BUT your going to pay $$$ for the glass. Same reticle in Horus Scope, still good glass, fraction of the cost.

You can engage targets a any distance to 800 without taking your face off the stock. Piggy at 300, piggy at 600... no time to dial. soon at that first shot craks off they are at a dead sprint. Many of sniper comps have been won by the Ranger Rgt. using horus reticles.

Consider this a loud second on the 3-9 Super Sniper. I own two, one is on a M1A National Match and the other is on a LMT MWS. Between the two the round count is over 2000. No problems with the scopes at all. Shoot mostly steel out to 800 yards. Rugged, precise adjustments and clear glass. At low light levels the bold outer cross hairs "grow" towards the center because of the FFP feature. This makes for fast target acquisition in dim light and close range. At longer range the mil/mil feature means what you see is what you get. meaning if you miss and see the bullet strike you simply measure with the reticule how many mils you missed by and adjust accordingly, no math needed to convert to moa. If you have problems SWFA is there to back you up. You are buying from the manufacture. I bought my first Super Sniper eight years ago and now own three of their scopes. I have had zero problems and I shoot alot. Hope this helps.

I vote for a Nightforce compact. I was asking myself the same question for about a year now, and all signs point to a compact 2.5-10. Sure, ti doesnt have FFP, but it has about every other feature you can ask for, including compact and sturdy.
Now the real question is, x24 or x32? LOL

Another vote for the SS 3-9x. Its a great scope with clear glass and nice features. Hell, even without the 10% discount I would buy it again. I have it on my LMT 308, so you and I are in the same boat. Let us know how your hog hunt goes, Im looking to get into that myself

I started with a Nikon Buckmaster, went to a Falcon 4x14x44 ffp/mil-mil, and have settled for the IOR 3x18x42.

Are there any bad opinions on Zeiss scopes? I have shot bolt guns with these and I really like the eye piece and reticules they have. I am just skeptic about the durability on my Armalite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any bad opinions on Zeiss scopes? I have shot bolt guns with these and I really like the eye piece and reticules they have. I am just skeptic about the durability on my Armalite.</div></div>

They're a good scope. I've had a 6.5-20x50 on one of my rifles for a long time. The thing with any semi is it bangs forward and backwards. I had a Meopta on my first 6.5 Grendel (that's who builds the Conquests for Zeiss, they use the same Schott Glass) and it did just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any bad opinions on Zeiss scopes? I have shot bolt guns with these and I really like the eye piece and reticules they have. I am just skeptic about the durability on my Armalite. </div></div>

Zeiss Conquest? No durability problems that I have heard of and they have very nice glass for being under a thousand.

I'd still get the ssniper 3-9 FFP though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id still get a Horus Hawk 3-12x50 FFP.... its like some people are addicted to dialing</div></div>

Is it that we're addicted to dialing or we have an aversion to shitty scopes? My firm belief is it's the latter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id say you dial just cause you dont know any diffrent... Dont be scared of change..</div></div>

Nope, I've shot the Horus reticle. It's a good reticle, the scopes however are not worth the benefit. Now put one back in the S&B or in a USO and we'll talk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id say you dial just cause you dont know any diffrent... Dont be scared of change.. </div></div>

Lots of us holdover and holdoff with our mildot/mp8 reticles too...

Horus reticles are neat but I'm not sure I trust the scopes themselves, I've heard horror stories about warranty work.

sure... customer service goes a long ways. And if this dude had $$1500+ I would have reccomended the USO with horus.. but hes workin a fast shootig AR.. If every Zombie got on-line and charged, always at the same distance... great!! Dials would suffice. But you got scattered Zombies... from 50-400yds. Only a shot in the grape will put em' down. You'd be wishing you had .2 mil inrcements pre etched on your glass.
NOTE: Only advocate of this on SEMI Autos.. Bolt gun.. sure grab your super sniper or super duper tactical or super counter sniper scope and crank it.

Note2: you can choose to replace the word "Zombies" wit "Hogs" if you want. And one alabi, this scope probably shouldnt be your first scope now that i think about it... You should have to go through the same hunting pains as the rest of us, fumbling with your knobs when the piggys see you and take off before you can even flip it off safe... I personally am done with "holding out into space" trying to lead a critter on the dead sprint.

If you can't hit a target the size of a zombie's melon within 400 yards using a hold over then you have skill issues regardless if you're "working a fast shooting AR", it makes no difference.

Unless you're shooting in a hurricane wind is going to be negligible at 400 and if you can't hold over 2.5-3 mils, you have issues as well.

The Horus is a great concept and works very well. The issue is that the quality of the scopes themselves suck and the frustration garnered with said optics far outweighs the benefit of the reticle. You see the key is the OP says:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and want some glass that will last.</div></div>

You wont get that with a Horus.

I have a plain jane AR-10 with the A2 stock, Armalite one piece mount, Leupold 3.5-10 LR with mildots. The only problem is I need a stock pack for cheek weld but if I used a lower mount (if available) probably no problem. I use the one piece 'cause the dealer gave it to me and facilitated switching the scope back and forth to the 700.

GoatHead:
You don't need to spend a fortune for a nice AR-10 scope...I run Sightron SII's on my guns and have never had a problem. Very clear scopes, good clicks on the target turrets, and repeatable settings.

If you want to try one, I will take this SII 4-16x42 MIL DOT off and sell it to you for $275 shipped (like new..no ring marks). If you need the Burris X-Treme rings...add $40 more. You won't find a better scope for the money than these Sightron's. Best thing is it won't break the bank!
DSC03414.jpg

I would say keep on the look out for a cheap USO st10. The cheapest I ever bought on for was 750(I think) non lit

DSC_4301.jpg

Horus was kind enough to let my section try out a couple Hawks and Talons prior to our next deployment... 1 talon went overseas and the rest were left back in the states... I'd pass. Refer to the above comment for a great option (ST10 mil/mil)

I was looking at the reticules Horus offered, and they seemed too crowded for my taste. I can see how you just hold the difference, but Zeiss Rapid Z reticule is easier on my eyes. The Horus just seems like there is too much going on to track. I like the mil dot or stuff like the Rapid Z or Nightforce has a new one similar. The Horus seems more like a bench scope. But I have not actually looked through one, just the pictures on the site.

i currently have a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Gen 2 mil dot on my 24in. Armalite AR-10,... i love this scope & rifle combo,. but my AR-10 is intended for a diffrent purpose than yours. (i do want to use it on a suppressed hog hunt next year though)

i would look at a used Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 with either the mil-dot or TMR reticle,. it will easily take whatever yout AR-10 can dish out,. or maybe something similar from Vortex......

hope it helps

TRIJICON TR-23-> Well I'm gonna throw this one up , though I dont own one but have a friend who does. I advise you to look through one of these and truly be impressed with it's glass and eye relief. Only reason I dont own one is it's lack of internal adjustments (appr. 45 moa) but for your distances it will work. And if you google search them you will find some in the $900 range new. Once again the glass is really something considering their price.