• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need to vent! "Tactical" shopping... (Long)

Frostbite Slim

Gravity Tester
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
I went out to get some reloading stuff and saw a store that had "Tactical" in it's name, so I stopped by to see what kinda stuff they had in stock. There were some really cool military firearms on the walls that belonged to the owner's father. Garands, M14's, some Winchester 97 Trench Guns... There were a couple of guys buying some AR's and one of them started spouting out some garbage about "how hardcore this was". When I asked about a couple of suppressors that they had displayed behind the counter, "counter boy" and "hardcore guy" asked, "What?"

I said, "How much are you asking for the Gemtech suppressors, and what calibers are they for?", Just a little bit louder and clearer; figuring that they didn't hear me.

"No man, I meant WTF is a suppressor?", "counter boy" said.

"A suppressor? It's that metal can shaped thingy that makes your firearm report not so loud or annoying to the intended target or general public", I replied rather sarcastically.

"Oh, the damned SILENCER!", "counter boy" said while he and "hardcore" chuckled and snorted.

"Dude, if you don't know what shit is, then we ain't selling it to ya, those are SILENCERS, jack-ass!", "counter boy" said.

Just as I was about to forgo all decency and situational awareness, the owner came outta the back and asked why the conversation was so loud. I just let him know that his Gemtech SILENCERS were defective, they didn't make anything "SILENT", they only "suppressed". So now, "counter boy" and "hardcore" are losing it, laughing and joking about how this stupid (insert a few racial slurs here, one started with "dune" and also rhymed with it, the other started with "sand" you've heard them before...) didn't know what a SILENCER was. Just then, the owner slapped "counter boy" on the back of his head, told him and "that jack-ass over there" to leave his store and not come back. After we talked about some of his merchandise and his father's collection, he gave me a drag bag and .308 snap caps (which I gave both back) for not losing my mind and whipping "counter boy" into a bloody mess.

I wasn't upset because of the racial crap, I've heard it before... I was upset because as a prospective customer, I was treated rudely. Oh yeah, sometimes people think I'm Middle Eastern, my father is Cherokee and my mom is Kenyan, it's funny sometimes...

...sometimes.

Re: I need to vent! "Tactical" shopping... (Long)

I've been there a few times myself. The owner was eager to help, counter boy not so much.

There are dumbasses born every minute of every day and I am convinced that at least half of them end up behind the counter at gun shops!!!
wink.gif

While I'm sorry for your troubles with the two idiots at this shop, at least it sounds like the owner was a stand-up guy who knew what he was doing and cared about his potential customers!

Unfortunately, you can't cure stupid! Glad to hear the owner attempted to make it right!

Jay

I all ways look for the old guy behind the counter. Most know their weapons and treat people with a little respect.

Aero I know how you feel about the race thing. I am 3/4 Lumbee and 1/4 white. I have been called everything under the sun. But mostly asian. I am proud of being a native american but also have to bite my tongue sometimes.

My vote is whip counter boy because he needs to learn some manners.

Unfortunatly here this all to often but the racial slurs? WTF? How
do these places stay in buisness? It's a shame the old salts who have
the firearms knowledge lack the hiring expertise.

I do not see how the owner could have handled it better. Sorry for the A holes. They are in for a tough life, I am sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is whip counter boy because he needs to learn some manners. </div></div>

Tough talk lil' fella!!
</div></div>

you seem like a real internet badass!

*I'm not going to disrupt this guys thread.

It's amazing the kind of idiots you run into in gun stores... and that sad fact is something we've all witnessed. Between dudes buying Desert Eagle 50s for CCW, or buying knock-off scopes, to talking like they're gun experts when they've only learned about guns from reading magazines, it's a trying situation. That's why I find one shop that I like, build a good friendship with the dudes that work there, and give them my business (mostly transfers, etc).

The fact that they threw out racial epithets is ridiculous and uncalled for. You had every right to beat those dudes' asses, but I respect you for rising above that bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is whip counter boy because he needs to learn some manners. </div></div>

Tough talk lil' fella!!
</div></div>

you seem like a real internet badass! </div></div>

Rude individuals such as 'counter boy' usually only understand the language of 'ass whoopin' and are very amicible to receiving a really good one when required.
I'll see your 'lil fella' and raise it one serious ass whoopin since you seem to require the same amount of manners with your ad hominum bullshit Scout.
As to the OP, remember only the ignorant or truly stupid are usually like that so don't let the ass clowns get to you

I just <span style="font-weight: bold">HATE</span> stupid.

If you're a racist, elitist, or whatever, at least know what you're talking about... I understand how people can dislike one another (not that it's right, mind you) but when you are a moron, you're letting your buddies down, they're counting on you to help the cause...

It's difficult sometimes to get good knowledgeable help. MANY times I've gone to Harley shops, gun stores, drop zones and run into all sorts of jackassery. So business owners, please screen potential hires a little better, whether they're working customer service or are actual techs.

There are some excellent points made in this thread, not to mention a few steps higher on the "respect ladder".

Aero, good on ya for rising above. And better yet, improving that store's customer service through various means as well. In this day and age, we need more "supporters" of our interests than we need "naysayers".

I just get real tired of assclowns behind counters who don't know jack or shit about what they are selling. Their only wish is to collect a check for a supposedly easy job and the business owner should see through that and hire people who WANT to work in the field with KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE.
Don't ya get tired of the soccer guy selling guns or the fat lady at the PX coming over to try to tell you about that AUG in the case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aerodynamic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. Just then, the owner slapped "counter boy" on the back of his head, told him and "that jack-ass over there" to leave his store and not come back. </div></div>

Sounds like he made a good decision there. I'm 100% caucasian but grew up where that was the minority. I've learned to value people based on their actions, not their pigment. Good of you for not jumping straight to the ass-whipping stage.

1911fan

Sorry to hear about your experience Aero. My own "ethnic cast" has put me in similar situations. It's never easy to restrain one's anger and urge for violence under these circumstances. Having done just that makes you the bigger man.

guys like that I can only hope that the jungle gets them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to hear about your experience Aero. My own "ethnic cast" has put me in similar situations. It's never easy to restrain one's anger and urge for violence under these circumstances. Having done just that makes you the bigger man. </div></div>

"Bigger man"? Note the Kenyan reference in the original post... Hahahahaha! Not big by any means, 6'0", 155 pounds of <span style="font-weight: bold">pure nightmarish fury</span>! Hence the screenname, I hate the term "skinny", I refer to myself as "Sleek and Aerodynamic".
laugh.gif

my usual response is, "Well, if you know so much, why are you a $7 an hour clerk behind a counter?"

I've used it at Academy Sports on several occasions.

When I ran a sporting goods department, I never pretended to know everything. I learned a lot from some of my customers, because I was willing to listen and ask questions. (I also found ways to correct and educate folks without being offensive or officious.)

Sounds like these penile protuberances weren't possessed of the same qualities. Hope that if you ever go back, you deal with the owner and let him know that he's the only reason you're there. Seems like he doesn't suffer from craniorectitis.

Ron White said it best, "you can fix ugly but you just can't fix STUPID!" Good for you for maintaining your composure. I would have snatched counter boy up and opened up a Time Life subscription of WHOOP ASS on him! If you know what I mean!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my usual response is, "Well, if you know so much, why are you a $7 an hour clerk behind a counter?"

I've used it at Academy Sports on several occasions. </div></div>

I like that one. Subtle and effective

I also like all of the blow-hards saying they would "open some whoop ass." Right or wrong, the last think I would want to do is go "hands on" and start a disturbance in a gun store full of idiots. Good thinking.

To the OP, and others who would press the issue and start a yelling match....why waste your breath? If they treat you like shit, and don't know shit......fuck em, hit em where it hurts; in their wallet. Buy from someone who knows their shit and treats you with respect. Every wonder why people like Alex Roy and others like him get so much respect here?

If you have a problem with a business, then don't give them the satisfaction of your patronage. Not contributing to their bottom line is better than any 4-letter word you can utter in anger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just get real tired of assclowns behind counters who don't know jack or shit about what they are selling. Their only wish is to collect a check for a supposedly easy job and the business owner should see through that and hire people who WANT to work in the field with KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE.
Don't ya get tired of the soccer guy selling guns or the fat lady at the PX coming over to try to tell you about that AUG in the case? </div></div>

It's all a matter of expectations. If you expect someone making minimum wage or slightly higher to be more knowledgeable about a subject that you're well studied on you're in for a lot of disappointments.

wow, unreal I made it half way down to the end of your story and was already pretty pissed. Its like that (minus the racial slurs) at the gun shop i go to, so much miss info and internet warriors and all that... dont get me wrong iam obviously not the smartest guy... we all know that hahaha but i try to stay on top of things even dumb things i just ask the questions i dont know about lol

well glad you kept your head... cause i know for sure if i was you i would have went nuts lol level 3 heart attack nuts

Like Ike Clanton said in Tombstone "You got to give somebody a rap on the beak to get some respect around here."

I sell more guns at 2 shops I hang out than the counter people--
now both owners give me better deals--it is difficult to say
something to the hired help w/o offending them but there is always a way to get thru to them...I spent a few of my younger years working behind the counter and learned a great deal--but the types Aerodyn encountered don't deserve a job anywhere

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotRod308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Ike Clanton said in Tombstone "You got to give somebody a rap on the beak to get some respect around here." </div></div>

Yeah, then he got knocked the fuck out with the butt of a pistol.

I have quite a few tattoos(hence the name) and when I go into a new gun store most people either look at me like I just fell out of the sky or act like Im gonna attempt to stick up the place(rob a gun store?!?!) Most of the time they usually warm up to me when they see that Im quite normal but if not I can take my cash elsewhere. Sometimes I wished the people behind the counters would learn a little more about what they're selling.

You run into all types... there is a shop in town that has some really good and decent guys behind the counter, and a couple who are absolutely arrogant asses.

Note the latter group tend to have the mental agility of a small soap dish. I've learned to not deal with them as their blathering tends to make me grind my teeth. Did you know 12 ga. slugs are the best form of home defense? Just ask 'em.
laugh.gif