• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I really screwed up

Flyboy22

Fox 3
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Last week I went to the range to get some data on the 300M range. I turned out the guy shooting next to me was a very friendly guy with tons and tons of precision shooting knowledge, so we ended up talking for two hours or so about a variety of topics. Since we were the only ones at that distance, I removed my left ear plug while we were talking to hear him better. By the time we finished, it was getting dark, and I wanted to at least shoot off a few rounds before picking up my target. I didn't put on my ear muffs because I figured I would be ok with just earplugs for 5 or 10 rounds of .223.

When I pulled the trigger, it felt like my ear exploded. I stupidly forgot to put back in my left earplug. :( I immediately experienced a loud ringing in my left ear, which faded in a minute or so. What didn't fade is a continuous high pitched ringing in my head, which has been there 24 hours a day for the last 6 days. My hearing in my left ear is probably a little worse than it was (still feels slightly muffled and high pitched noises don't sound quite right), but this ringing is absolutely miserable. I've barely slept the last week.

Has anyone every done something stupid like this? Any experiences to share? I know the ringing is a form of Tinnitus... what I don't know is whether it will ever go away. I desperately hope it will, because I haven't had a moment's peace since it happened. Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated. :confused:

It'll go away. Give it a week or two more, without any additional trauma of course. I once shot my Mosin-Nagant M44 with out plugs once. 15 rounds is all my ears could take. Ringing for a week or so, then back to normal.

Yeah,

It should subside if it was only 1-2 shots.

BUT wear very good hearing protection people, or you will have it forever.

You wouldn't believe the tinnitus I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last week I went to the range to get some data on the 300M range. I turned out the guy shooting next to me was a very friendly guy with tons and tons of precision shooting knowledge, so we ended up talking for two hours or so about a variety of topics. Since we were the only ones at that distance, I removed my left ear plug while we were talking to hear him better. By the time we finished, it was getting dark, and I wanted to at least shoot off a few rounds before picking up my target. I didn't put on my ear muffs because I figured I would be ok with just earplugs for 5 or 10 rounds of .223.

When I pulled the trigger, it felt like my ear exploded. I stupidly forgot to put back in my left earplug. :( I immediately experienced a loud ringing in my left ear, which faded in a minute or so. What didn't fade is a continuous high pitched ringing in my head, which has been there 24 hours a day for the last 6 days. My hearing in my left ear is probably a little worse than it was (still feels slightly muffled and high pitched noises don't sound quite right), but this ringing is absolutely miserable. I've barely slept the last week.

Has anyone every done something stupid like this? Any experiences to share? I know the ringing is a form of Tinnitus... what I don't know is whether it will ever go away. I desperately hope it will, because I haven't had a moment's peace since it happened. Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated. :confused:

My wife is an audiologist and she sees a case like yours once a month. The ringing in your ears are either dying cells or the advent of tinnitus or both. It will most likely decrease with time but the effects could last. If your lucky there is little damage but the ringing is a sign of some damage. See an audiologist.

Tinnitus: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Yep. I remember a while back I was shooting my .45 and I thought to myself; I wonder how loud a gunshot is without ear muffs? So I take my ear muffs off, and squeeze off a round. I literally didn't even hear the shot. All I heard was a very loud ringing, lots of ear pain, followed by not being able to hear anything for a couple minutes. Wasn't the best idea I've had. I'll never to that again, that's for sure. Luckily it was outside, but they still had those barriers on either side of you that reflected the sound right into my ears.

So, if anyone's wondering, it's really loud. Don't do it. And that's coming from someone who grew up in a recording studio and is used to lots of loud stuff.

I feel ya man. I was setting up in our hay field to shoot 800 yards one time and to see the target I had to shoot from the bed of my truck. Im shooting a 20" 308 with a really really aggressive brake. I got everything set up and got down behind the rifle and squeezed off the first shot, without ear pro.. The blast reverberated inside the bed of the truck so bad my vision went fuzzy. I had the worst headache and ringing in my ears for a week or 2. It was so bad I couldnt shoot anymore that day, I just packed up and went back to the house. Eventually it will go away but you might still have a faint ringing at times when its really quiet out. I do. Needless to say I havent ever made that mistake again.

it may not go away. Depends on the level of damage. I forgot ear protection, for only one shot, with my Barrett M82. For two days all I could hear was the sound of the action cycling. After that and ever since there is this high pitched ringing. That was 5 years ago. Our local sheriff, Willie Morris put a shot gun in his mouth because he couldn't sleep it was so bad. Good luck.

I was hunting with a guy who ripped off 3-4 rounds with a 357 mag a couple feet away from my left ear... close enough to feel that crap that spits out of a revolvers cylinder gap hitting my face. I had zero hearing in my left ear for 2-3 days and it took several weeks to return to something somewhat normal. Try walking when you’re completely deaf in one ear... I had to be comical to watch. I know I have some hearing loss in that ear from that and about a decade and dozens of bricks of 22lr shooting without earpro growing up.

Oh, and no he didn’t hit his running deer. :(

Was shooting a 300Win Mag from the inside of a small shed a number of years ago. I pulled off my ear pro to talk to the guy who was watching my shots (Nothing high speed or cool, it was raining and we were being whimps and shooting from the target shed). I forgot to put the ear pro back on and fired one more round. The sound/slap was indescribable. I thought the rifle had blown-up or had failed. I rolled away from the rifle the second the shot broke. I could not hear for a few days. My ears ring a few times a week, and I have my first visit to the VA for a hearing test on Wed......

Mine hasn't gone away. My own brother cooked off a 308 while we were deer hunting( stopped to strategize) about a foot from my face. Concussion knocked me down kinda and the ringing has never stopped. Along with a prompt brotherly ass whoopin, he is not allowed to shoulder his rifle in my presence.

We fired thousands of rounds in the Army during 67-68 with out any hearing protection as we didn't know anything about hearing protection back then. I do have that ringing in the ears and my hearing is OK but when I shoot now I have to use both ear plugs and and muffs or I do get that ringing that is both loud and irritating which goes away in a couple of days. I think you will be fine. Firing in a confined area or without ear protection near someone using a break on a large caliber rifle may be a different story. Prolonged exposure to a rifle report is going to cause problems but a one time event should not cause permanent damage.
So what do our armed forces do today in the field?

A few years ago I didn't get the muzzle of my .270 out of the window of the shooting house I was hunting from.
Squeezed the trigger. It hurt so bad it brought tears to my eyes. Lost ALL hearing for like 5-10 seconds and it slowly came back over the course of a few minutes. It was like my brain was slowly turning the volume back up. Thank the good Lord I've had no lasting issues (ringing, pain, etc.).

I always wore ear pro when target shooting, but never when hunting.
I ALWAYS wear ear pro now when hunting. I usually carry those silicone ear plugs around my neck and pop them in my ears right before I shoot. I will NEVER do that again.
Between it hurting so bad and the way I lost hearing, I thought I blew my ear drums.

I feel bad for you bro, however I would think you should eventually be okay if it was one round.

By the way Flyboy, I might be overreaching with your location, screen name, and avatar, but do you happen to know M. Cabral (Waco)?

wtf? yals ears don't ring all the time. Wish i new about safety glasses and ear plugs 25 years ago.

my first time shooting 50cal in a match there was a cease fire before my turn to shoot. I was preoccupied watching the wind and planning on taking my shot. We go hot and I jump on the gun, just as the trigger is about to break i think. OH shit i forgot my ear pro, BOOOM! What an idiot. Hurt for a bit and rang for a while. I would go see an ear doctor and double up on ear pro from now on. I use moulded plugs and electronic muffs so I can hear people but protect my hearing.

I earned the honor to shoot one of two live Dragon missiles at ITS. The Dragon was reported to be the loudest infantry weapon at the time. Well in the excitement of having a live missile on my shoulder next to my head I forgot the earpro.

Wasn't pretty when the honor guy buried the missile into the deck at just about minimum arming distance. I think I blacked out. Im sure I have hearing loss from a lifetime of stupidity but I don't suffer from any annoying ringing thankfully.

I got it pretty bad with a couple of rounds from a 107. My PA told me to keep some ear plugs in for the next couple of days to help allow the ears to heal. It worked for me, maybe try the same.

I've got a littlle bad news for you younger guys. Any loud noise bad enough to create ringing in the ears is to some degree PERMANENT damage. depending on the number of times you are subjected to it and the severity of it will determine the amount of life long damage. I'm 69 and have constant ringing 24/7-365. Sometimes it almost drives me batty. the only saving grace is it mostly sounds like the summertime woods noises like crickets, bugs and tree frogs, etc. and sometimes like steam hissing, but it's constant and the doctors say it's not a damned thing they can do about it. I wont even shoot a .22 anymore without protection, however too late for me!

Mine came from firing a rocket launcher overseas 22 years or so ago w/o protection in. One shot. Couldn't be helped at the time but I've paid for it ever since. Sometimes the ringing wakes me up at night. I have to have a fan or other noise on at all times or I get a headache. The word on the street back then was that the SMAW was as loud as a 105 but that's just rumor. Fortunately the VA said I'm good to go with no damage to my hearing...

Got my hearing checked today, and at least there is minimal loss to the frequencies they test (up to 6kHz). Unfortunately, the ~15 kHz ringing is still loud and clear in the middle of my head... 7 days and counting. I've been eating up Vitamin E & Ginkgo Biloba, but no luck yet. I will never ever take my hearing for granted again if this clears up, I had no idea how miserable Tinnitus could make you.

Thanks for the shared experiences, maybe someone will invent a cure one of these days. :confused: In the meantime, time to buy some really good ear muffs.

By the way Flyboy, I might be overreaching with your location, screen name, and avatar, but do you happen to know M. Cabral (Waco)?

He's in our sister squadron... I've met him briefly but I don't know him well. I think he showed up while I was deployed, so I haven't gotten to fly with him yet.

This happened one time to guy I worked with. We were at the range, it was the end of the day, and we had a end of the day stress course. After about a 2 mile run/sprint we got back to the firing line and started to shoot. He was just a few seconds ahead of me during the run. I remember him take the first shot, and start yelling. I kept shooting. I won, so I was happy with his self correcting mistake.

deaf as a post...

A long time ago I was a range officer presiding as one of two of the civilian host RO's at a public range that was closed to the public for a military security team from Moffett Field/NASA. (Sunnyvale Rod & Gun used to rent the weekdays to LEO and Mil teams for qualifying.) The group had a sargeant on the line barking out commands to two rotations of shooters who were their qualifying with their M-16's in timed-fire courses.

All went smoothly for the first stage for both squads. Then they had to qualify with gas masks for the short-burst course. After the first squad finished they went outside for a break. Full dress chem suits, goggles, masks, helmets, etc. shooting prone on a concrete floor. Each shooting station was walled off from its' neighbor's by a cinder-block divider that was ~8' high (to the ceiling--up to a corrugated tin roof). The walls were only about 4' long, maybe long enough to cover from the front hand to about the waist when prone. The roof overhang protruded at a downward slant, about 6' beyond the front of the cinder block dividers, and the perimeter's walls including the rear were all cinder block enclosed up to the roof. So all the rifle muzzles were probably no less than 5 feet back from the front edge of the roof.

At the command, "FIRE", one guy in the middle of the line raised his hand immediately. The sargeant went over to try and figure out what he wanted since the shooter couldn't holler through his gas mask; the sargeant couldn't hear with his on, anyway. The shooter abruptly pointed at his ears; he had to repeat the action a couple times before the sargeant understood. He'd forgotten to put his ears on. It hadda be at least 20 seconds from the fire command before he'd gotten permission to leave the area. In the meantime, 7 other M-16's were simultaneously and sporadically cutting loose in full-auto 3-round burst mode at their targets, in a hurry to finish the course in time. When I went outside to check on the poor sap, the first squad "mates" were laughing at him while he was on his knees puking in the dirt. He didn't even have the balance to stand. It took almost half an hour before he had the balance enough to walk; even leaning one hand on the walls. I have no doubt he lost a significant part of his hearing. It was *really* loud to me, and I had on plugs and 'phones.

I once shot a 357 magnum out the window of a box stand while deer hunting, but apparently didn't get the muzzle or cylinder gap out the window. It was like someone in my brain just turned my ears off. Won't do that again for sure, but I'm sure 1 round of 5.56 won't do a great deal of permanent damage. I had a work physical last week that involved a hearing test, and was told that my hearing was "within range" for people my age (25). That could mean just about anything, but with all the front-row concerts I've attended, and handgun rounds I've expended sans-earpro, it's nothing short of miraculous.

I was just tested and told I had 65% loss in my rt ear, and 85% loss in my left. Shot Garands in rifle team practice at Ft. Bliss around 1962, with cigarette filters for earplugs. The rubber issue plugs were full of desert sand after one day. I hear Spring Peepers all year long, with a new sound, like a Kenworth idling for the last year. Bummer.

I use an app called White Noise on my Android phone.

The white noise masks the ringing in my ears so I can sleep. Adjust the volume to about equal with the ringing and then enjoy a good nights sleep.

I use an external speaker connected to the headphone jack for better quality sound.

Some people just use fan noise to sleep, but that's not loud enough for me. Surprisingly this doesn't bother my wife.

One word: suppressor!

We refer to you people as "shooting rude."

And finally, if the Marine Corps taught me one thing, it is this: the less you use hearing protection, the less you need hearing protection.

Carry on.

One word: suppressor!

We refer to you people as "shooting rude."

And finally, if the Marine Corps taught me one thing, it is this: the less you use hearing protection, the less you need hearing protection.

Carry on.

Yea you know, funny thing, I am now very interested in purchasing one. :cool:

I did something similar in 1978 or thereabouts. It was a 22-250. Couple of shots without ears and I got the ringing. Tintiitus or close to that . Never stopped.You can ignore it.

I know someone that shoots a lot and never uses any hearing protection. His hearing is excellent. Its odd that some folks can do this and not have problems. I can shoot without hearing protection but it gives me a head ache if I do it much. I don't get the ringing from it though.

Had a plug fall out on left ear shooting a hundred round burst from my Vulcan in the Army, same was happening on the other 11 guns at the same time, hurt, near deaf in that ear now, 30 years later. Only bugs me when riding on low cloud overcast days, seems like I am losing balance, but I know the centrifugal force of the wheels will keep me up so I ignore the feeling. My TV sound system can be heard down the block. On the good side I turn the left ear towards the wife when she is yacking at me.

A few years ago I didn't get the muzzle of my .270 out of the window of the shooting house I was hunting from.
Squeezed the trigger. It hurt so bad it brought tears to my eyes. Lost ALL hearing for like 5-10 seconds and it slowly came back over the course of a few minutes. It was like my brain was slowly turning the volume back up. Thank the good Lord I've had no lasting issues (ringing, pain, etc.).

I always wore ear pro when target shooting, but never when hunting.
I ALWAYS wear ear pro now when hunting. I usually carry those silicone ear plugs around my neck and pop them in my ears right before I shoot. I will NEVER do that again.
Between it hurting so bad and the way I lost hearing, I thought I blew my ear drums.

I feel bad for you bro, however I would think you should eventually be okay if it was one round.

Glad I'm not the only one. Years ago, my adventure was pretty similar - saw a ground hog off the right side of my pickup. Got the right window down ( I'm on the driver side ), turned to the right side to take a shot from my left shoulder, and, in all of the excitement, failed to notice the muzzle wasn't beyond the window. Ka-boom! Felt like a grenade went off inside the cab. I thought the gun had blown up and shrapnel went in each ear it hurt so bad. Pain was pretty much off the chart. Now, I only shoot from the driver side.

I know someone that shoots a lot and never uses any hearing protection. His hearing is excellent. Its odd that some folks can do this and not have problems. I can shoot without hearing protection but it gives me a head ache if I do it much. I don't get the ringing from it though.

For now. There is no such thing as a physiological immunity to repeated high db sounds. In most cases hearing damage will occur before an individual is aware of it.
5. How can sound exposure lead to hearing loss?

try shooting tannerite with no ear pro. Its quite the feeling. I didn't get tinnitus but it sure was loud! I mean we were having a nice conversation then BOOM! We were like "maybe a warning next time?" All in all I think its better to not try to see what it sounds like shooting without ear pro its not fun.

For now. There is no such thing as a physiological immunity to repeated high db sounds. In most cases hearing damage will occur before an individual is aware of it.
5. How can sound exposure lead to hearing loss?

I'm usually very protective of my ears. During my annual physical, my hearing tests great.
What is interesting is that when I deer hunt, I never hear the rifle shot and suffer no ill effects. This is only a couple of times a year, with a 6.5 Swede or .308. I think the stressors of the moment somehow mask the symptoms?
BUT, fire a 12ga with 3" turkey loads, and my ears are toast. Only did this twice and now carry muffs during turkey season.

In the military in the 60's the range officers would have a box of cotton roll on the table behind the firing line, but no one would use any for fear of being called a wuss. and it was not mandatory, so no one used it. truth is, cotton offered little protection anyway but i guess it would have been better than nothing.

Yeah,

It should subside if it was only 1-2 shots.

BUT wear very good hearing protection people, or you will have it forever.

You wouldn't believe the tinnitus I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh, I bet I would... But, mine is genetic so I can't even blame a lifetime of shooting for the piercing whine. Caffeine, other stimulants , and alcohol make tinnitus worse. I've also found that air travel aggregates my tinnitus. Lucky for me I travel for work...

I always wear plugs and muffs when I shoot. I use electronic sound suppressing muffs for hunting.

I'm usually very protective of my ears. During my annual physical, my hearing tests great.
What is interesting is that when I deer hunt, I never hear the rifle shot and suffer no ill effects. This is only a couple of times a year, with a 6.5 Swede or .308. I think the stressors of the moment somehow mask the symptoms?
BUT, fire a 12ga with 3" turkey loads, and my ears are toast. Only did this twice and now carry muffs during turkey season.

Everyone thinks that the occasional loud noise doesn't effect them. That those who experience temporary "ringing" or pain in their ears after a single exposure to loud noise are more susceptible to permanent hearing loss. Not true.

My brother retired after selling hearing aids for 20 years and nobody wants them. You can buy a nice rifle for what one costs and they only last a couple years. Hearing loss starts at the ends of the sound spectrum and without testing it is subtle in effect. My hearing is fine but shooting .375 H&H magnums with muzzle brakes, magnum handguns, operating farm tractors without cabs or protection hasn't helped.

Be it a .22 rimfire, a loud diesel-or gas engine, a sledgehammer on steel, they all cause damage and are not to be played with.

Since the OP of this tread seems to need his hearing for employment. Thankfully no real loss is apparent.

Alcohol and caffeine make it worse??? NOW you tell me. Coffee, 5am-4 pm, Yukon Jack in the last mug, then beer to 9 pm. Liquid diet.
Walkers Game Ear Digital II model works nicely at $180. Screw those $4k hearing aids with less electronics than a $12 TV remote. Use the Radians mold it yourself rubber plug kit around the Walkers' tube, and now I just shut off the Walkers when at the range. Right ear only, left is toast.

Last edited:
Oh, I bet I would... But, mine is genetic so I can't even blame a lifetime of shooting for the piercing whine. Caffeine, other stimulants , and alcohol make tinnitus worse. I've also found that air travel aggregates my tinnitus. Lucky for me I travel for work...

I always wear plugs and muffs when I shoot. I use electronic sound suppressing muffs for hunting.

"UT Dallas researchers have demonstrated that treating tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, using vagus nerve stimulation-tone therapy is safe and brought significant improvement to some of the participants in a small clinical trial."
Trial results positive for tinnitus sufferers

Hearing loss is cumulative. Gunfire is an obvious cause but tools such as chainsaws, radial saws, weedeaters, drill presses, lawn mowers, etc., etc. all contribute to hearing loss. I have significant hearing loss and constant tinnitus and I can assure you that it is worthwhile wearing hearing protection anytime you even think you might need it.

Everybody's got a big boom story, here's mine. I'm not sure what year it was, probably in early '69. I'd had some stuff to do at a SF LZ called Pony. It was also a FB with both 175mm and 8" self propelled guns. Leaving the LZ I turned left onto the track and they fired a round over my jeep. Those boys had a real sense of humor. This was an era where if you could fog a mirror you got in and when you got out, if you could still fog a mirror, you were good to go. The one thing they noted was hearing loss in my left ear.

Ringing is an everyday thing. After some time you will not notice it anymore.

I know for me I will wake up at night, or have a hell of a time trying to get to sleep. My high end is about shot in both ears, and my right ear is about 65-70%. While overseas didn't have the coms while up on the M2. Well needed to hear what the TC was saying, and couldn't do that with plugs in. So went without them, and I am hurting now.

That is the main reason why I got my suppressor! Though I still like to have my plugs and muffs with me when I go to a public range. Because all it takes is one prick that thinks he needs to rap off his entire mag as fast as he can from a covered firing line......

At a Service Rifle Match during the sitting rapid fire stage. At ready, targets come up, drop into position, settle into my rifle and just then the shooters to my right and left start sending them down range. Both shooting AR's. I had forgotten my earplugs. By the time I grounded my rifle and put my fingers into my seemingly bursting ears they were at the magazine change. Took a big ole "Did Not Fire" on the score card. The retired Master Sargent running the match gave me an ass chewing like one of those R.Lee Ermy gives out in the movie Full Metal Jacket. Lucky my ears were ringing like hell or I might have got my feelings hurt. That was 7yrs ago and I still have a slight ringing and the Master Sargent still brings it up and laughs.

I am 32 and have constant ringing in my ears. When I was younger I rarely wore ear plugs, no matter what I was shooting- my buddies and I got a kick out of who could last longest (dumb kids). Now as a cop, I have a radio constantly talking in one ear, car pd radio barking out of a speaker in my other ear and usually the window down, constant noise. In a room with more than a few people all I can hear is noise, can't distinguish individual voices. It sucks and I wish I had made better choices as a kid.

Now, the only time I shoot without ear protection is when I am bird hunting. My ears don't register the noise when I shoot but I know there is still damage. Gotta figure out a reasonably priced solution to that.

When I was younger the ringing and reduced hearing usually lasted a couple days, sometimes as long as a week. But of course, the damage is done and ringing is my constant companion.

Jethro

What? I am 28 and its the most common word I say. Genetic hearing loss, heavy metal, guns and WOT diesels are taking their toll. If I don't run a fan I don't sleep.

Maggot I can understand why the sheriff went the route he did.