• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I See It Now, U need an FFL For a Printer

Re: I See It Now, U need an FFL For a Printer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bloody_Tailgate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no, you need the proper licenses to manufacturer firearms <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">for resale</span></span>. </div></div>

You can manufacture your own for personal use all you want.

There are commercially-available methods for rapid-prototyping (AKA "3D printing") of metal parts. This is currently used for things like tooling (molds) for plastic injection molding. Pretty cool stuff, and rapidly approaching the point where someone could indeed use it for low-volume production of firearms parts. I wouldn't yet be real keen on using it for a load-bearing receiver such as the typical bolt gun action, but it'd probably be workable for those firearms such as AR15s that lock the bolt into barrel extensions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bloody_Tailgate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no, you need the proper licenses to manufacturer firearms <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">for resale</span></span>. </div></div>

You can manufacture your own for personal use all you want.</div></div>
And technically.... The manufacturer is nothing more that the guy that pushed the button "Print".
smile.gif
Not the owner of the printer.

Would definately be cool for prototyping. Imagine walking in with a fully functioning prototype except it's made of polymer how cool. Make your own accesories too awesome. drop a fully to spec prototype off at the local machine shop and have them whip it up the first time it would just plane reduce production costs. Then again you also would have to know how to design the prototype in the computer to spec so you weren't makeing a bunch of stuff you would just end up junking.