• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I shot myself

Re: I shot myself

I have to hand it to this guy for posting that as a lesson for all to learn.
My nephew shot himself in the leg while in a sitting position on the floor getting ready to clean a handgun. It was not pretty and took a while to recover.
He is fine now, and after calling 911 he did call his Mom to have her help him out. Someone had to come over and clean up the mess after a fuckup like this, right?, so why not Mom, and she gets Pa going in the right direction to start all of the paperwork etc. that goes with not only a ND or AD but any kind of accident. Cell phones were buzzing.
Long story short, it all came out good and he is doing alright today. Missed the femoral artery by a few mm. or he would have been in deep shit. The first call was 911, [I have heard the tapes of the incident,] then call Mom.
His Mom has kept up with EMT classes and is good at it.
From the time the 911 call went in, and then he called Mom, she was there after having driven 5.7 miles and had things well in hand and under control when the EMTs arrived.
The EMTs arrived 4 minutes later as they had to drive about 14 miles to get there. They made really good time considering traffic and what they had to drive through.
She told the EMTs what she had done, suggested an IV of something or another and told them she would meet them at the hospital but not try to follow them, then got out of their way.
She calmly went to the hospital and took care of business.
No speeding, no driving too fast for conditions, just Got er Done.
The gist of this is that Mom may be the closest one to render aid in some situation or another and NEVER rule out family help, they probably know how best to calm you down.
In all honesty, as people who handle firearms of one sort or another,
Can any of us say we have never been in a situation where an AD could not have taken place?
It doesn't have to be "your fault", just being around them, a kid with a rifle or pistol, a recruit, a family member or friend not doing something right.??
I believe the Great Spirit protects us from them.
I know I have been in situations like that and had my own and glad that there was not "One In the Hole."
I believe, that if you can answer no to the questions above, you do not have a lot of experience or have been fortunate.
Regards, FM

As far as accidental discharge in a home. The rule in my house is no chambering a loaded round by anyone ever! I don't keep one in the pipe of the Glock either. My opinion of course but the rules have kept myself and family safe.

Maybe he needs to take shooting lessons from Donna in Redding, California.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has nothing to do with a safety, my gun doesn't have a "safety" and I've never shot myself. It has to do with, as everyone else has said, sticking your finger in the trigger guard and pulling the trigger...
</div></div>

Agreed. I think it was on another board an individual was stressing the importance of finding and disengaging the safety while drawing.

Idiot proof all you like, but never underestimate idiocy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to hand it to this guy for posting that as a lesson for all to learn.
My nephew shot himself in the leg while in a sitting position on the floor getting ready to clean a handgun. It was not pretty and took a while to recover.
He is fine now, and after calling 911 he did call his Mom to have her help him out. Someone had to come over and clean up the mess after a fuckup like this, right?, so why not Mom, and she gets Pa going in the right direction to start all of the paperwork etc. that goes with not only a ND or AD but any kind of accident. Cell phones were buzzing.
Long story short, it all came out good and he is doing alright today. Missed the femoral artery by a few mm. or he would have been in deep shit. The first call was 911, [I have heard the tapes of the incident,] then call Mom.
His Mom has kept up with EMT classes and is good at it.
From the time the 911 call went in, and then he called Mom, she was there after having driven 5.7 miles and had things well in hand and under control when the EMTs arrived.
The EMTs arrived 4 minutes later as they had to drive about 14 miles to get there. They made really good time considering traffic and what they had to drive through.
She told the EMTs what she had done, suggested an IV of something or another and told them she would meet them at the hospital but not try to follow them, then got out of their way.
She calmly went to the hospital and took care of business.
No speeding, no driving too fast for conditions, just Got er Done.
The gist of this is that Mom may be the closest one to render aid in some situation or another and NEVER rule out family help, they probably know how best to calm you down.
In all honesty, as people who handle firearms of one sort or another,
Can any of us say we have never been in a situation where an AD could not have taken place?
It doesn't have to be "your fault", just being around them, a kid with a rifle or pistol, a recruit, a family member or friend not doing something right.??
I believe the Great Spirit protects us from them.
I know I have been in situations like that and had my own and glad that there was not "One In the Hole."
I believe, that if you can answer no to the questions above, you do not have a lot of experience or have been fortunate.
Regards, FM</div></div>

good advice

can you imagine if this dude (known in his airsoft group as Tactical Tex) and the DEA agent formerly known as "Now I'm the only one in this room qualified to hold this gun" got together for a safety session?

There'd be nobody left!

Had he hit his femoral artery the situation would've changed entirely he's extremely lucky, depending on how long it took the ambulance to get to his location.

I agree that I have some cool heads in my family, some better than others.
He will readily admit it was a major fuckup on his part and he had been trained better and just failed to do everything he had been trained to do.
I believe that given the fact that all of my family lives in rural areas and all have, at the least, some basic first aid training, and most of us further along into EMT training has a lot to do with how things were handled.
You never know when something bad like this will happen and it does not have to be a gunshot wound, it may be a farm accident or whatever.
If this had happened on my farm, the nearest ambulance is 35 miles away and he could have bled out before they got there.
I cannot stress the importance of first aid training and having the proper supplies on hand if you live in a rural area.
You have to know when to hold em and when to load em up in whatever you have to haul them in, make the 911 call, and meet the ambulance on the way or ask for air support.
Thanks for your comments. Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talk about being posted in every section... </div></div>

AMEN!

Every time I shoot myself I call my mom too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope this guy doesn't get mugged, he's more likely to shoot himself than the purp.

If he had had real 'training' instead of watching movies and playing at the range this would probably not have happened. </div></div>

Maybe thats what the magpul guys mean by training until they get it wrong. He just trained until he got it wrong.
Its like my dad used to say about how tight to tighten bolts when working on cars together, "tighten it down until it breaks, then back it off a half a turn."

a-hull I think that if you had been listening you might have gotten some good advise.
From in the Oil Patch I think what he was saying is "Draw it down tight then give it one more half a turn,"
Makes sense to me.
You can turn a failed fastener 30 million times and gain nothing, but you can turn down a bolt or other fastener to what you think is right and give it that one last pull, half a turn and make a difference.
Make sense to you?
Regards, FM

I was looking at related videos to this and stumbled across the following....FREAKIN HILARIOUS!

Do yourself a favor and skip ahead to 2:15

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CPJD5J6CGU0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CPJD5J6CGU0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Sorry that none of my advice did not sink into some heads , hard as a blow out protection device.
Happy New Year to all. Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at related videos to this and stumbled across the following....FREAKIN HILARIOUS!

Do yourself a favor and skip ahead to 2:15

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CPJD5J6CGU0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CPJD5J6CGU0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I saw that too...funny shit.

Two words, Tex: stupid hurts.

Practicing implies slow & proper procedure and then gradual moving your way up. You changed your gear and start at the top
You are part of the reason guns get labeled the way they do. like they will jump out of the safe a kill you unexpectedly. Thanks for being a jacka*s and setting the whole gun owner community back with your lapse of judgment.

Sorry i Have to go just found out a Friend i served with in Iraq just died very sad only 25 years old way to early

This thread has gone out of context.
a-hull, I was refering to your dad's advise about turning down bolts.
You stated,"tighten it down until it breaks, then back it off a half a turn."
I then posted a basic Oil Patch thing about turning it down tight, then give it half a turn.
If the bolt has broken, cannot you turn it 3 millions times, and make no difference? The bolt is broken, therefore no matter how many times you turn it, it makes no difference, it is still broken.
As I said, this thing is out of context and I hope it ends here.
I don't want to get a pissing contest going on here, but I do think of Ron White's saying of "You can't fix stupid."
Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread has gone out of context.
a-hull, I was refering to your dad's advise about turning down bolts.
You stated,"tighten it down until it breaks, then back it off a half a turn."
I then posted a basic Oil Patch thing about turning it down tight, then give it half a turn.
If the bolt has broken, cannot you turn it 3 millions times, and make no difference? The bolt is broken, therefore no matter how many times you turn it, it makes no difference, it is still broken.
As I said, this thing is out of context and I hope it ends here.
I don't want to get a pissing contest going on here, but I do think of Ron White's saying of "You can't fix stupid."
Regards, FM </div></div>

What you don't get is that it was my dads poor attempt at humor. What the heck are you talking about pissing contest. Wierd to say the least.
And i used the quote from my dad as a reference to training til you get it wrong. You know, train real hard until you shoot your self then back it of a hair. Get it? Thanks for spewing your words of wisdom. Ron white is correct. Some guys cant spot a joke if it kicked in the crotch. ("can't fix stupid" Ron White- Kicked in the crotch is mine)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"After the shot my training took over. I called my parents then 911"
Yep! He has it going on. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guilty, as charged.
I did not know.
Sorry, Mike
Put this thing to sleep. </div></div>

A good rule of thumb, no quick drawing when your a retard, and no forums when your drunk.

a-hull guilty of being old and not understanding things.
Sobriety is another issue, I do my best to not be drunk and have so for many years.
I look to reliability as to some of my posts, and trust that others use proper punctuation, quotation marks, as to who said what, and references as to what is being said.
I don't always understand, LOL, LMFAO, nor any of the other Text messages that go on. I am old and not in the frame of mind to change, although I know I should.
I bid you a Happy New Year and just wish this thing would settle down.
No reply needed. Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS. I am not retarded nor do I do any quick drawing.
Regards, FM </div></div>

LMAO

Thats funnier than a retard doin a quickdraw

I know for certin a 22 long rifle solid will go through about 12" of "calf" muscle. Fast draw with a HS revolver.