• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I shouldn't read this thread.....

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
So I walk into the LGS to get some patches, and there it sits on the rack. A very clean, pristine bore, Swiss K31. Now, I've been reading about how some guys here really like this rifle and how accurate they are, so she came home with me. Even has a paper, under the butt plate that says who it was issued to, and some old stripper clips. So now what do I do?

Sell it to me for very little. You don't want that old thing, when you can have a brand new factory-built something from Wally World, now do you?

Oh, and post some pictures!

Buy some ammo, go shoot it, post an interesting and informative report with pictures.

Take it to a CMP GSM match and let her show you she still has it in her.

So I guess the glass wall case is a no.:) I ordered some ammo and brass, from Graffs, along with a clamp on scope base. I have to say that I was amazed at how lite and balanced the gun feels. It has the walnut stock, but it looks like some one beat on the sides of the butt with a hammer. I read that they used to do drills while wearing old school cramp- ons. Guess that's what did it. I think I caught the bug, as this is the second "old gun" I've bought in a week. I have a vintage Leupold 12x to put on her. Tick toc, on Graffs. Some day, I'll learn to post pics. I'm a bit of a dinosaur with computers. Will let ya know how it shoots.

So I guess the glass wall case is a no.:) I ordered some ammo and brass, from Graffs, along with a clamp on scope base. I have to say that I was amazed at how lite and balanced the gun feels. It has the walnut stock, but it looks like some one beat on the sides of the butt with a hammer. I read that they used to do drills while wearing old school cramp- ons. Guess that's what did it. I think I caught the bug, as this is the second "old gun" I've bought in a week. I have a vintage Leupold 12x to put on her. Tick toc, on Graffs. Some day, I'll learn to post pics. I'm a bit of a dinosaur with computers. Will let ya know how it shoots.

The stock damage is typical. It is from the Swiss snuffys knocking the snow off their hobnail boots!

For a crappy old stock these shoot incredibly well! I love mine. I had two but sold the second one for money when I needed it.

I've found when reloading for it, it doesn't like hot loads for accuracy. It likes moderate loads of slower medium speed powders. They are a very stong action, just that they don't like hot loads. Since I can't get the RUAG projectiles, which have an incredible BC BTW, I use 175 match bullets and surplus 175 FMJ's (said to be M118 bullets but no proof) On top of H4831. H4831 for temp stability.

So the Swiss were gun a a abusers? Sad. I gave up caring about looks. No worries, there. I reload in the milder areas for most of my guns, these days. Thanks for the info, Sandwarrior. What is your pet load? It would give me a spot to start with. Been reading the "favorite" thread. Guess I have to get a Springfield, to round out the collection. Off to the races. Puts a different spin on "going antiqueing".

I got bit by the bug and picked up a K-31, K-11 and M-11 this spring. All 3 shoot MOA with open sights at 100 yards with GP11. The Swiss make quality rifles, and GP11 is almost, if not, match-grade quality ammo.
Cobbled together a homemade hydraulic decapper (not going to waste that really nice brass) so I can reload with Wolf Berdan primers. Now trying to modify a priming tool to seat Berdan large rifle primers. Since 7.5 Swiss uses .308 bullets, I'm expecting this to turn out as a fun and economical shooting project.

BTW, Sandwarrior, where does one find surplus 175 gr. FMJs?

So the Swiss were gun a a abusers? Sad. I gave up caring about looks. No worries, there. I reload in the milder areas for most of my guns, these days. Thanks for the info, Sandwarrior. What is your pet load? It would give me a spot to start with. Been reading the "favorite" thread. Guess I have to get a Springfield, to round out the collection. Off to the races. Puts a different spin on "going antiqueing".

My best reload (of many) is H4831. I worked up from I think 47 gr. behind a 175 FMJBT to about 48 gr. That got me about 2650 fps. The GP11 comes out of my rifle right around 2600 or just under. There is a lot of expansion in that case going out to the chamber walls of the K31. I think the correct dies to get are Redding 91235. I have a set of Hornady dies, but they are small GP-11 size. The oversized chamber of the K31 really requires it's own sizing die. And the Redding is the correct dimensions of that.

Interesting note: The GP-11 is fantastically high BC. I wish we could get those bullets here in the U.S. @ 500 the GP-11 is shooting under my reloads. @ 1000 I adjust a full 100m distance setting down for the GP-11.

Suffice it to say at 1.5" or so, up from the base, the original GP-11 is .460 dia. The K-31 blows out to .475" at the shoulder. That is quite a bit of taper. My Hornady die could just barely smash the cases back to original size. The Redding worked smoothly. Working your brass that much will only shorten it's life. I've had people tell me, "It works just fine!" Then I hear them bemoaning they can't get good brass for the 7.5x55. Something to ponder.

Last edited:
I just acquired a K31 yesterday. The Swiss just make high quality stuff, that's all there is to it! Because of rain I only shot 4 rounds of GP11 at a 600Y steel. I hit it with the last 3. I'm super impressed with this old rifle, especially the action.

I almost want to go to a strait pull action for my tactical rifle now.

I got Lee dies with the K31 but for now I'm going to order more GP11 and not mess with attempting to reload Berdan primed cases.

Hey Steve: I saw some bare barreled actions if you want to do a "build". Think it was Guns international? Can't be sure as I looked at 100 different sites, doing research. You better be ready for some "looks", though. Please don't paint a K31 green camo.:). I think Grafs had boxer brass for sale. $54 per 100, I think.

That would be a fun project now wouldn't it! Hmmm, 6x55 with a 8 twist Bartlein barrel - 105's at 3250 fps. All my tactical rifles are pigs, I need a lightweight build, this would be perfect.

Did you happen to notice any extra mags out there?

Thanks for the heads up at Grafs.

Aim surplus and gunbroker, so far, have them. I'm trying to remember a site that had pages of parts, but I,m a little fuzzy. Been researching for days, now, for 5 different guns, and I'm suffering from information overload. I'd check Grafs, too. It would be an interesting, and neat build. I have seen some "sporters" on sites, that have already been modernized/butchered, for cheap. Saves the guilt of cutting one up..........just noticed.... I'm repeating myself.......gotta put this pad down for a while. Good luck.

Last edited:
I really like this gun. Just picked up a third, for a build. Thank you, Steve, for the idea. Started working on a design for a custom chassis. Aluminum frame with walnut covers.