• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I sold the majority of my reloading gear...

S3th

Indecisive
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
Greensboro NC
I started reloading on a RCBS Rockchucker circa 2014 and in late 2020, I sold off most of that gear and upgraded to a Dillon XL750 with all the fancy accessories. Early this year I sold off the Dillon XL750 and accessories. The reason... it took the hobby away from me. I was able to reload very precise rifle reloads or handgun in a matter of a few minutes for my weekly range trips.

Here is where I am...
$2,420 of cash allocated to repurchase gear as this is what I received after selling off the Dillon and accessories.

Items I am going to buy;
- Area 419 Funnel Kit ($100)
- SAC Modular Headspace Kit ($150)
- SAC Precision Resizing Die ($250)
- SAC The Seating Die ($300)

The Debate;
- Area 419 Zero Press + RCBS Chargemaster Lite
- Forster Co-Ax + A&D Scale w/ V3 Auto system

What are your thoughts..?

I have no experience with either of your press options, but I have heard nothing but great things about both the Forster Co-Ax and V3 system. I recently put in my order for the fx120i+V3 autotrickler, so thats gonna be an exciting upgrade for me. I use an old Dillon 450 and it makes great, straight ammo

Reactions: S3th
Dies matter more to me than the press but a nice press is certainly appreciated.

The V3 system is all that.
The time savings and convenience is impressive.

I have some experience with the CO-AX but honestly prefer my Lee turret, both make straight ammo but the turret is more convenient to me.

I started reloading on a RCBS Rockchucker circa 2014 and in late 2020, I sold off most of that gear and upgraded to a Dillon XL750 with all the fancy accessories. Early this year I sold off the Dillon XL750 and accessories. The reason... it took the hobby away from me. I was able to reload very precise rifle reloads or handgun in a matter of a few minutes for my weekly range trips.

Here is where I am...
$2,420 of cash allocated to repurchase gear as this is what I received after selling off the Dillon and accessories.

Items I am going to buy;
- Area 419 Funnel Kit ($100)
- SAC Modular Headspace Kit ($150)
- SAC Precision Resizing Die ($250)
- SAC The Seating Die ($300)

The Debate;
- Area 419 Zero Press + RCBS Chargemaster Lite
- Forster Co-Ax + A&D Scale w/ V3 Auto system

What are your thoughts..?
Coax and Autotrickler v3. I’ve used a coax since I first started loading, and recently upgraded to the V3 from a chargemaster. Also running the Area419 funnel kit and SAC seating die. You’ll be happy with that setup man.

However I do want to upgrade to the Zero once I buy a house. I love the design. I’ll keep my coax to prime on however afterward. Sets everything at a consistent 4 thou under the rim of the pocket.

However I do want to upgrade to the Zero once I buy a house. I love the design. I’ll keep my coax to prime on however afterward. Sets everything at a consistent 4 thou under the rim of the pocket.
Yeah, I was actually about to buy the Zero then got hit with $150 in shipping and taxes. At $1,350 it really took away the value of the Zero as a no-question buy. An added 13% increase at check out was surprising but that’s probably just me.

How much of an impact did the V3 provide over your Chargemaster?

I can throw a charge with in the kernel of my set point in 10 seconds or less. My chargemaster was about 30 seconds or more. It’s caused me to be more anal about charge weights but I wouldn’t trade it for anything man. It’s the best upgrade to my reloading process.

I have some experience with the CO-AX but honestly prefer my Lee turret,
eww gifs | WiffleGif

CoAx and Autotrickler v3 work great for me. Add a Giraud trimmer and Primal Rights CPS and you can make extremely consistent and accurate ammo (given you have good dies).

I really like the look for the Zero press, but I'd be hard pressed to believe it produces more accurate ammo over the tried-and-true CoAx.

I don't know why you got rid of the Dillon, you should have just kept it for pumping out rounds that don't require high-level OCD and got another separate single-stage setup for the other stuff... or at least that's how I talked myself into doing that lol.

I kind of wanted to hate the Zero press, and have never really liked the idea of turret presses anyways, but considering how precisely it's being manufactured and its tolerances, it might be worth it for quite a few guys. Though, IMO if one can't leave the dies on their toolhead setup semi-permanently, and wants to change out dies often without buying extra toolheads, then that'd defeat the whole purpose of getting one to me and then I wouldn't bother...

Personally, I hate the Co-Ax, the stroke just feels so weird to me and IDK if I'm a 100% believer in the whole "float-thing": I feel like a little float is needed here and there on some dies depending on what they do, but mostly I want a press to be solid and do the same exact thing over and over again... the priming on a Co-Ax is a plus because it doesn't suck and isn't useless like pretty much all other on-press priming systems, but it's slow and clumsy feeding one primer at a time.

I don't know why you got rid of the Dillon, you should have just kept it for pumping out rounds that don't require high-level OCD and got another separate single-stage setup for the other stuff... or at least that's how I talked myself into doing that lol.

I kind of wanted to hate the Zero press, and have never really liked the idea of turret presses anyways, but considering how precisely it's being manufactured and its tolerances, it might be worth it for quite a few guys. Though, IMO if one can't leave the dies on their toolhead setup semi-permanently, and wants to change out dies often without buying extra toolheads, then that'd defeat the whole purpose of getting one to me and then I wouldn't bother...

Personally, I hate the Co-Ax, the stroke just feels so weird to me and IDK if I'm a 100% believer in the whole "float-thing": I feel like a little float is needed here and there on some dies depending on what they do, but mostly I want a press to be solid and do the same exact thing over and over again... the priming on a Co-Ax is a plus because it doesn't suck and isn't useless like pretty much all other on-press priming systems, but it's slow and clumsy feeding one primer at a time.
Yeah, I took advantage of the current environment to off-load the Dillon for a profit.

I have never used a Co-Ax but have seen one in-person once and it didn't seem too bad. Might just go back to a RC IV in the meantime.

Might just go back to a RC IV in the meantime.

If you're into trying something new, I can recommend the Lyman Ideal press. For $100, even if you just end up dedicating it to decapping, it's totally worth it. https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-smith-ideal-press

I wanted a stupid simple single-stage with as few moving parts and as uncomplicated as I could find, along the lines of the Sinclair Benchrest press (https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload...inclair-7-8-14-benchrest-press-prod33635.aspx), but without its wonky 10-degree tilt and was weary of aluminum in such a small frame... stumbled on the Ideal press and bought one and I've been digging it. It's aimed at the entry-level reloader, but it's really just a small chunky cast iron lump of metal that doesn't move when you put a die in it, with an arm that goes up and down, that's it. Which is awesome.

You have to buy a mount for it though, either the Lyman or Inline Fab, puts it at the perfect height where one's mechanical advantage makes up for its size, otherwise it's too short to sit on a bench top (it'd suck like that I imagine).

Might sound crazy, but, hear me now believe me later lol, I'm not sure I could realistically make any better ammo on a Zero or anything else. I would have to spend more than what a Zero costs just to buy the measuring tools needed to even find out.

The zero press, while really nice, doesn't offer any extra performance for the price. It's a nice luxury item for the reloading room, a reloading room that has no budget.

I would focus on items that will actually improve the performance of your reloads. Auto- trickler & co-ax is definitely my choice. Then if I had extra money, I would splurge on a AMP annealer, Giraud or Henderson trimmer, and CPS primer before getting a Zero press.

I dont think I could go to a single stage press of any kind after using my T7 turret press. I have my decapping die, hornady bullet puller, and mandrel in there at all times with 2 different cal seaters and FL sizers.

The V3 has been my absolute favorite and most appreciated item ever purchased for shooting. If my house was on fire, my dog, AI, and V3 are the 3 items coming out with me.

Reactions: S3th and kthomas
If you were starting from scratch, would you spend ~50% of your budget on a single stage press?

Edit - 50%, not 41%. Incorrectly assumed the Zero was $1000. It's $1200.
Yes I would, but that’s me. An engineer with appreciation for accuracy.

Yes I would, but that’s me. An engineer with appreciation for accuracy.

I'm also an engineer. I believe from a cost per downrange performance aspect, the money would be better spent elsewhere. Like a precise powder dispenser.

If money was no object, the Zero would be nice. But it adds little to nothing to downrange results, so in my mind the money would be much better spent elsewhere.

I'm also an engineer. I believe from a cost per downrange performance aspect, the money would be better spent elsewhere. Like a precise powder dispenser.

If money was no object, the Zero would be nice. But it adds little to nothing to downrange results, so in my mind the money would be much better spent elsewhere.
Valid point. For me the process of reloading is a hobby I enjoy and I would speed my money on the Zero first, I can get really accurate and fast power charges with a powder thrower and manual trickler until I could afford better. I know I won’t need a press upgrade for some time, but you do you.

Reactions: kthomas
I think in a sport where $3k scopes and $100 bags of sand are commonplace, there's a place for a $1200 reloading press boasting super tight tolerances.

Will spending more matter downrange if one already has a setup that consistently delivers ammo they're happy with? Doubtful. But, if one isn't happy, it probably can't hurt lol.

I have both the Forster co-ax and the Zero press. Hands down the Zero is on another level. The Zero press has a hard stop, no matter how hard you push down on the handle you will not change your seating depth. When using the Forster you can easily change the seating depth by adding more pressure on the handle. You are spending good money on dies, "Cry Once" and get the Zero press .......you won't regret it.

I have both the Forster co-ax and the Zero press. Hands down the Zero is on another level. The Zero press has a hard stop, no matter how hard you push down on the handle you will not change your seating depth. When using the Forster you can easily change the seating depth by adding more pressure on the handle. You are spending good money on dies, "Cry Once" and get the Zero press .......you won't regret it.
Maybe I’ll just buy the Zero and V3 haha.

Reactions: Mrindecisive