• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s I suspect a scam!More news

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
HELP

Someone through regular email(not PM from a hide member)contacted me and wants to buy a pistol I have for sale in the firearms for sale section here on the hide.

It seems fishy to me!But I can't tell.Some guy wants to send a check and have a shipper pick up the gun and present a copy of an ffl at that time.

Have any of you guys heard of that before?What is the safest procedure.Hers a copy of our dialog.

Hello,
Am okay with the price of the pistol,I hope the pistol is still available for sale so kindly reply me back as soon as you get this message from me.
Looking forward to read from you soonest.
Regards
Moore

Yes,the P-15 is still available.

Steve

HELLO,
I WILL HANDLE THE SHIPMENT OF THE P-15 BECAUSE I HAVE MY OWN SHIPPING COMPANY WHICH IS SHIPPING ALL MY GOODS ALL OVER THE WORLD SO I NEED YOUR FULL CONTACT INFORMATION ON WHERE MY CLIENT IS GOING TO SEND THE PAYMENT TO YOU AND ALSO THE NAME THAT GOING TO BE ON THE CHECK INCLUDING YOUR CONTACT PHONE NUMBER.
GET BACK TO ME WITH THE LAST PRICE OF THE P-15 WITHOUT ANY DELAY.
LOOKING FORWARD TO READ FROM YOU.
REGARDS

I will not ship the gun until I have a copy of a current FFL dealer and I will not send the pistol until the check has cleared.I would much prefer a postal money order.The cost for the P-15 is $850+$30 shipping ,total $880.00

Thanks, Steve

Thank's for your reply,my client will send the payment to you as soon as possible and get back to me as soon as you receive the payment from him.

Looking forward to read from you and the FFL will be with them when coming to pickup the P-15 in your location before you release the gun to them.Don't add the shipping charge to the cost of the gun because i will arrange for the shipment through a reputable shipping company.
Looking forward to read from you soonest.

Regards

How should I proceed from here guys?!!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Re: I suspect a scam!

Me not back reply if smart.
smile.gif

3 words

Hell
Fucking
No

I sell a weapon?
I get a copy of the buyer's FFL.
I call to verify that they are actually an FFL holder and are aware of the transaction, as 99% of people go to the FFL and give them their story ("I'm buying an XXX from out of state and need to have it transfered to me. Can you do it? Yes? Cool! Can I get a copy of your FFL to send to the seller, or can you send it directly?")
I get a check from the buyer
I wait for the buyer's check to clear
I send the weapon DIRECTLY TO THE FFL.
I do not go "middleman" ANYTHING, unless it's an in State face to face.

Until that shipped weapon is in the hands of the transferring FFL, it is still in YOUR name.

4 words to end this :
Cover
Your
Ass
Steve

pascocweekend2346727go1.jpg

Jack

Hey see if he is going to send you 87,000,000,000 and give you 10% to deposit it in your account from the king of Abdul Prate Squash, king of the Ding Dong down under............BIG FAT NO!!!

Enough said!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the comedy too!haha

Thanks for your help guys!

He's going on the spam list.

Steve

Nope not a scam. I give my bank info, address, and social to Nigerians all the time. I never knew I had so many relatives who willed me money.

I'm so rich now its unbelievable.

While it is a reasonable approach to want to use one's own shipping account when they have a discount, this is not how it is done.

This is a scam, pure and simple.

For future reference, to use the receiving party's account all you need is their number and write it on the form or put it in your on-line system from the same shipper. Also the receiver has the ability to make the label and email it to you to print and you put it on the box.

NONE of those options involve the shipper presenting the FFL at pickup.

Doc you are a funny guy btw
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope not a scam. I give my bank info, address, and social to Nigerians all the time. I never knew I had so many relatives who willed me money.

I'm so rich now its unbelievable.</div></div>

Doc....you're right!! We are related, PM me your social security number, I need it to properly identify you in my will. Good to hear from you brother....or is it cousin....heck I don't know, but get me your info quick
smile.gif

Steve123, just throw the pistol in a deep lake, in the end it'll be less painful.

PO Money orders and cashiers checks are frequently forged these days too. The check appears to "clear" and then like a month later the bank will come back and tell you it was forged and take the money back. Big problem over on CraigsList, apparently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Steve123, just throw the pistol in a deep lake, in the end it'll be less painful.</div></div>

Yeah, I'd agree. If you're ever concerned about selling someone a firearm, don't. Another buyer will come along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say no. Doesn't sound right.</div></div>

Not right? Dude it's just flat wrong on like 5 different levels.

I had a similar transaction on G.A. I played it out a little for a laugh. Here is our conversation,

Hey Dude,
I will like to purchase this item.. let me know the final price and also how it will be ship.. i am shipping it to VT.. please let me know as soon as possible.

Hope to read from you soon
_
I respond:
Hi, I thought I had a box to ship the shotgun in but I can't find it so I will pick one up Tuesday. UPS ground shipping is right at $15. Plus box I don't see that being very much if any. If this sounds good you can fax the FFL to at (blah blah blah). Thanks Chris
_

Tammy Wallace wrote: (Now I she says her name)
Just let me know the total cost.. the payment will come inform of Certified Cashier's Check so i will include the signed FFL in the payment.

Hope to read from you soon

_
I respond:
Total cost is $315
My address here
Thanks Chris
_

Tammy Wallace wrote:
Thanks for your message.. i will want you to kindly remove the list from GA because i am ready for the instant purchase. i am presently on my way out of country to CANADA but i have instruct my husband to make out a certified cashier's check on your name and send it to your provided address as soon as possible.. also i have told him to include the signed FFL and my dealer shipping address.. i will call him later when i land in CANADA to know if he has sent it and i will keep you updated asap.

Hope to read from you soon when the listing is removed.
Regards
Tammy Wallace

_
I respond:
I will remove the gun once I receive the check and it clears. Thanks
_

Tammy Wallace <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,
This is what i came with from my husband.... the certified cashier's check has been sent for sure but there was a mistake because i actually told him to send check to two people for me(you and a friend) now he has made a mistake by sending the check that is suppose to be send to you to my friend and the one to be send to my friend to you. i blame him alot for this silly mistake and i think i can trust with this... the check that suppose to be sent to my friend is with amount of $3800. now in order not to delay the transaction once you just got the check of $3800 please just go ahead and cash it and deduct payment for your item and you can help me send the rest to my friend or my husband.. i believe that is the best way not to delay the transaction because the check has been sent already.

Hope to read from you as soon as possible.
Tammy Wallace.

_
I respond:
Dear Tammy,
I just realized that the Huglu Shotgun I am selling is actually a one-of-a-kind Charles Heston signature model. As a fellow gun owner I am sure that you can appreciate the value of this fine firearm. I am confidant that you still want this gun therefore, I will keep all $3800 from the check after all that is what I determined the value of such an esteemed collector’s item would be. If you will send me your address I will ship your new Charles Heston singature model shotgun.

Thank you for your business
Sincerely,
Chris Allen
_

Chris
You are very funny we concluded on $315.. now you want to take all the $3800 what of if it is not mistakenly send to you?? that is impossible you must be trying to run some scam on me.. impossible you will deduct the amount we agreed on and send the remain money to my frined. let me know when the check arrive

Tammy

I respond:
Well you’re right. It's wrong of me to take all that money. So I will have my father over at the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations locate your address and we will personally deliver the shotgun. How does that sound?
Thanks,
Chris

Would you believe I never got a check?

He indicated his shipping company and references a client + third party payment ... Scam &/or straw man purchase.

Either way you are out the $$ and may end up with a large legal problem. Tell him to $#$#$ off.

I say notify the ATF and let them play and set up a staged delivery. Always nice to take idiots like this off of the street.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say notify the ATF and let them play and set up a staged delivery. Always nice to take idiots like this off of the street.</div></div>

+1, it would be nice to take care of this professionally, and not let these guys keep trying until they get someone to bite.

Steve 123, I work in LE and a gun shop this moke is trying to scam you. I would contact ATF and advise them and let them set up on them. We got enough problems with nut cases and guns and people like these just hurt the honest guy.

Steve
I manage a gun and pawn shop and before we let a copy of the ffl out the door, it is signed in blue ink with a stamp file copy in red that specifies no ftf transactions. Everyone that i know in the business has a similar procedure to mine. Also we primarily fax the ffl these days, since the atf allows dealers to do that now. very easy to check validity of license through the ffl ez check system. Don't get scammed, either call the local atf office and tell them what is going on or contact the local police or sheriff's department and catch the scamming bastid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say notify the ATF and let them play and set up a staged delivery. Always nice to take idiots like this off of the street.</div></div>

+1, it would be nice to take care of this professionally, and not let these guys keep trying until they get someone to bite. </div></div>

You two have no effin' clue what keeps the ATF busy. HINT: this ain't it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say notify the ATF and let them play and set up a staged delivery. Always nice to take idiots like this off of the street.</div></div>

Better yet, this sounds like an Escrow deal for Lazy12. Or is it Maser21? I forget, it's hard to keep all them kids in line....

wha'dyathink?

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say notify the ATF and let them play and set up a staged delivery. Always nice to take idiots like this off of the street.</div></div>

+1, it would be nice to take care of this professionally, and not let these guys keep trying until they get someone to bite. </div></div>

You two have no effin' clue what keeps the ATF busy. HINT: this ain't it.</div></div>

I said proffesionally. I dont know what the ATF does, but makes sense a goverment agency dont due shit that thier name suggests.

Who would NineHotel alert?....I tried the A-Team, they are unavailable...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say notify the ATF and let them play and set up a staged delivery. Always nice to take idiots like this off of the street.</div></div>

You two have no effin' clue what keeps the ATF busy. HINT: this ain't it.</div></div>

I said proffesionally. I dont know what the ATF does, but makes sense a goverment agency dont due shit that thier name suggests.

Who would NineHotel alert?....I tried the A-Team, they are unavailable...lol </div></div>

I'd alert no-one as no agency, local or federal, gives a rat's ass about this kind of thing. You might get local LE to take a report to cover their butts since you called them, but no investigation will come from it.

That's reality. Basically no "letter of the law" enforcement unless they want to make an example out of someone with a show of force and make sure it hits the press.

I guess our branch of the ATF was bored off of their asses because they basicly did this on a simple straw purchase when a felon was having his GF go in to make a purchase for him. They did not make a huge show of it, just had two agent with us while we made a car stop for them and then handed everything over.

Well that may have happened up your way but we had a documented interstate and local fraud case (stolen firearms) totaling $27,000 in stolen merchandise involving a man who lied on 4473s about drug and alcohol use in the process of his frauds and neither the local LE nor the feds would make a case on this guy. $9100 was recovered in a civil case so far.

Your dude was unlucky, or there was more to the story than a simple straw purchase. They were on that guy or girl or both for other reasons than a simple straw purchase. They probably knew he was connected to something else and they needed to sweat a low level guy to get more info about the operation.

But WTF do I know - you seem to have all the experience with them.

Here's the latest!

He wants to send me $3500 for my $850 gun!haha

Hello,
Here is my info:
Bright Moore
21155 Watertown Road
Waukesha, WI 53186-1898 USA
1-800-827-3925

You will receive the payment any moment from now so kindly update me as soon as possible,my client contacted me some hour ago that he has issue out a payment of $3500 to you so as soon as you receive the payment from him kindly notify me and deposit the check into the bank so when the check clears you will send the remaining balance to me for the shipping charges.
Looking forward to read from you.
Regards

Steve

Steve
What happens here is they send a check, you cash the check and send the surplus back to them. The check bounces and you are left with the total costs of the check and the fees and you may be referred for a bad check.

So when you deal with these guys always use a fake name and phone number. String them along and if they send you a check tell them the bank said it is counterfeit and you cannot do business with criminals.

Check out 419eaters.com it is a website for scambaiters. They string the scammers along. It is very funny.

I'd string them along and see if you can actually get a "cashiers" check without giving them any of your personal info

Nine,
Not trying to piss in anyone wheaties, I had very limited contact with the ATF and this was just one example. Im a little shocked that they kissed off a $27,000 case in your example. Seems like with all of the attention that publicly. Seems like a fairly easy case to build with minimal work to be done until a transaction takes place. Im sure whoever is trying to buy AR's with counterfeit money orders is sure to have a pretty good rap sheet already.

Bet the check he sends you is from Bank of America............had that go down here locally with a few people.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the latest!

He wants to send me $3500 for my $850 gun!haha

Hello,
Here is my info:
Bright Moore
21155 Watertown Road
Waukesha, WI 53186-1898 USA
1-800-827-3925

You will receive the payment any moment from now so kindly update me as soon as possible,my client contacted me some hour ago that he has issue out a payment of $3500 to you so as soon as you receive the payment from him kindly notify me and deposit the check into the bank so when the check clears you will send the remaining balance to me for the shipping charges.
Looking forward to read from you.
Regards

Steve </div></div>

Re: I suspect a scam!More news

Run, this dudes not even English................or he's from Deliverance.

Scam, scam, scam, scam, scam. I can't believe people think we're so stupid as to fall for this. However, if you want to buy a bridge, I have one avilable. And a friend has a swamp to put it over for sale... He'll even deliver!

Are people really STILL falling for this ? I always tell them to send me $50,000 cash by messenger and I will have my attorney conclude the transaction. NEVER a response!

Print out a South African Cashiers Check and send him the balance on that!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse James.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh </div></div>

21 posts today and a resurrected two-year-old thread. What are you trying to sell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse James.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh </div></div>

Holy post count padders Batman!

I have the same thing with a suppressor for sale. I just want to see how long this will go on.

Hello Seller,
In reference to your online placed ad for sale, please could you tell me whether the advert is still for sale? Also tell me whether its condition remains as described in your ad? Please include the current price too. Write soon.

Thanks,
John.

Hello John,
Yes we still have a couple of the Cascade-Ti suppressors for sale. Sale price is $275 shipped, and they are all new in box. Only been out to check the serial number.

Regards,
Eric

and when I knew it was complete BS...
Hi,
This is good. It sounds like we can come to an agreement,I'm glad you still have it for sale i want you to keep the ad off market and consider sold to me.I know am asking you to trust me.I am OK with the price $275,do get back to me with your details needed for payment to be issued out and as well mailed to you asap via Ups or FedEx,i am located in MI so i will handle the shipment do not worry about that OK.
Get back to me with your details as requested below:
Your Full Name....
Address.....
City...
State...
Zip Code...
Phone:Cell,Home or Office.
Moreover This is my first time dealing over the internet,do tell me more about its present condition and if you have any pictures please do forward it to me.I will look forward to read from you in this regard Today.

Thank You,
John.

so now I want to know how long this will go

Hello John,
We accept money orders or certified checks made out to yada yada. I will also need a copy of the FFL/SOT that will be handling the transfer for the suppressor. Once I receive payment and the FFL/SOT information I will fill out the Form 3 for the transfer and send you a copy. Once the Form 3 comes back approved from the NFA branch I will notify you and will ship the suppressor via FedEx insured and you will get the tracking number.

Our address is
blah blah blah
Regards,
Eric

Hi ,
Thanks for your details..The Payment has been issued out and will be on the way Today.I will email again to update you on when the Payment will be Delivered.
Moreover,the payment you will be receiving comprises some extra funds which is for shipping so i will latter direct you on how that will be taken care of,that is not a problem at all after the payment is received and has Cleared.
Do await my next email so you'll know when Payment will be Delivered and also do get back to me in this regard Today to let me know you have received and read this email.
I will look forward to read from you in this regard Today.

Thank You,
John.

Note: do continue taking extremely good care of it and make sure the president condition remain as you described before you will receive the payment and shipment will take over in your resident.

extra funds huh, never onced metioned the item by name and never addressed me other than Hi. Never had anyone, that was legit, not mention what they wanted to buy.

I had a horse for sale on the internet a fews years ago. got the same scam e mail and actually received a check from Miami, overnite mail delivered on a Friday drawn on a business account located in Nebraska. Called the co in Nebraska on Monday, small Mom and Pop tool and die, sure enough they had just order checks and suddenly had checks drawn on their account in e mail scams. they thanked me and were very appreciative. I contaacted PD in Miami and passed on the info with the return address on the overnite check. The PD reply--- "we do not have time for that kind of stuff", a quote.