• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I want a Benchmade - Griptillian or Barrage

LeviSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
IL
I'm looking at the Benchmade 583/585 Barrage or the Griptillian 550/551. I want something for edc.

I've never had an Assisted opening knife, so I'm leaning towards the Barrage. But, I've heard good things about the Griptillian. Also, which would you pick of the griptillian...the one with the opening stud or the opening hole?

Which one would you choose.

Re: I want a Benchmade - Griptillian or Barrage

Neither. I'd choose the 940 osborne. Great knife for edc opening and closing one handed is a piece of cake. Rides deep in the pocket and carries like its not even there. 940 osborne is the knife i would and did choose.

I have the small griptilian and its very nice. My gf has a bone collector with the hole and i hate it, would deff get the stud

I have a griptilian for edc. It has a great action and has stayed sharp even with heavy use. By far my favorite knife. Mine has the opening hole, but it seems to me that the stud or hole is more personal preference and doesn't really affect function, both can be manipulated fairly easily with bare hands or gloves. Can't comment on the barrage as I have never used one.

Assisted opening is just one more thing to break. And they DO break, eventually. I'd go with the Benchmade Rift - incredible knife, and my favorite Benchmade.

There's a bit of price gap between the 940, the Rift and a Grip. It's not huge, but something to be aware of.

A 3.5" blade is plenty big for an edc, but that's just my opinion. I always carry a Micro Commander, waved Delica or a Minigrip, and even though they're under 3 inches they do fine on the farm and in commercial plumbing. Personally, I like the thumbhole. However like the other guys have said, it's a preference thing.

I wouldn't by another assisted knife, as they do break and they really aren't way screaming faster than a standard one.

If you're open to suggestions, and want an affordable but dang fast knife, I'd recommend a waved Delica from Spyderco for sure.

My previous and current EDC:

IMG_4118_1280.jpg

Benchmade 520 at the top and the 275 Adamas on the bottom. As you can see I prefer larger knives. However since I don't wear "skinny" jeans, I don't really notice either when I don't need them.

I have assisted, autos and manual. I find that a top end thumb stud knife is just as fast as an auto and additionally it's easier to close one-handed.

Thank guys. I have a Ka-Bar TDI I carry some now, but I need a folder. The fixed blades just too bulky.

My budget is somewhere right around the $100 mark.

i pack a griptilian everyday and if i lost it would buy def buy another.

I have a mini-griptillian. I lost it for a year once and felt naked the whole time.

Not sure if you're aware but there is a used Griptilian 551 for sale in the Options & Accessories section.

My EDC knife is a benchmark barrage that I recieved as a groomsman's gift. It is a nice knife but I'm not terribly inpressed with the 154cm blade. I'm told that it has very high edge retention, but I find that it dulls more quickly than I'd like. Additionally, the assist opening feature doesn't really make it any faster to open, just easier. With a little practice any knife with a thumb stud is just as fast. Overall a good knife but keep in mind I didn't pay for it.

i carried a full size grip for 3 years...switched to a mini-grip for 2 years...switched that to a zt0350 for 6 months...and now I edc a Ritter Grip with custom Cuscadi scales

I'm carrying a Griptilian model 551BKOD2. It's bigger than what I've carried in the past but really like it a lot. It carries well and is large enough to work with.

Griptillian 550, though they've changed the thumbhole since I got mine I think it'd still be my preference. I've had this knife for 7 seven maybe more years, have beat it mercylessly as a heavy diesel/equipment mechanic and in the outdoors, I've had to put a whole new edge on it a few times, jumping solenoids is hell on steel, but its still intact, still locks up tight, I'll get another, maybe not serrated. It fits my hands well, and I've never noticed it in my pocket, though it is large for a pocket knife. Also you may know your laws, but be aware some places consider knives over a certain length to be concealed weapons in the pocket, and many workplaces have restrictions, stupid yes, but it is what it is.

I've been carrying a Griptillian for somewhere in the neighborhood of three years. Living in the bush, I'm pretty picky about my knives and multitools since replacements are not easily come by and they get used hard. I really like this knife and highly recommend one. I like the thumb stub and it makes for easy one handed operation both opening and closing. The D2 steel holds an edge really well and is reasonably rust resistant despite it's high carbon content. The Yukon is a glacially fed river and as such is full of glacial silt. (ie.. ground up rock) This silt gets into everything on, in, or around the river. Rope and line used for for fishing nets, boats, rafting logs ect.. gets full of this grit and eat blades of lesser steel for breakfast. This knife has really impressed me and I will be buying another when I finally kill this one. As far as whether or not you should get a serrated or un-serrated, it's really up to you and the tasks you want it to perform. The serrations will catch on stuff like paper, tape, it's not great for butchering, (opening boxes type duties) while it is really nice for cutting rope and is more forgiving when it starts getting dull. However, it is a bit more difficult to sharpen. Only you know what you want to do with it. Either way, I think it's a good choice for an edc knife. I hope this helps.

Bee carrying a mini Grip for about 5 years, found it in a chair in a furnished apartment. It has the stu and has been a good reliable solid edc knife. I used it while working on the pipeline for about a year, and it would hold a shaving edge pretty well and took the abuse. For a free knife it has been great, I would buy another if lost this one.
Eric

For a general purpose knife, the griptillian or mini-griptillian are excellent knives. I carried a 555 model for years until I upgraded to an Emerson. For the money, they're probably the best bang for the buck. If you shop around, you can find some good deals on them as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also you may know your laws, but be aware some places consider knives over a certain length to be concealed weapons in the pocket, and many workplaces have restrictions, stupid yes, but it is what it is. </div></div>

Good thing I looked because IL considers anything over 3" a concealed weapon. Back to the drawing board.

How do Spyderco knives compare to Benchmade?

The mini grips are great EDC knives. The full size are kind of bulky. I'd take a grip over the Barrage. Take a look at the Ritter Grips (only at Knifeworks) as they have a nicer blade shape and S30V vs the 154CM. Benchmades 154CM is pretty good though. If you stick with a regular Grip.. I like the versions with the hole.. at least in the full size.