• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want a good 5-25x scope or similar….

madangler1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Purpose would be mostly target shooting 300 yards in (that’s all I have access too these days). I want something with a larger eyebox than my Kahles 3-18x and more magnification for my poor eyesight (-7.5 D with astigmatism, and yes I wear my glasses when shooting).

I looked through a 5-25x Mark 5 Leupold this weekend and came away impressed. Seemed to have a decent eyebox even on 20-25x, clear glass. Was curious as to your thoughts on the Mark 5 vs say the ATACR 5-25x. The only other scope that blew me away recently was the Zeiss LRP S5 scope, but I’ve read people have had issues with the turrets (true or not)?

I just don’t shoot enough to justify a Tangent Theta, and I think S&B has priced themselves out of the market. Different suggestions are welcome. The Mark 5 seems to be the best “bang for the buck” in a military grade optic from what I have seen. I don’t necessarily need illumination right now, because I can’t even shoot at night at the places I have access too.

Thanks

Purpose would be mostly target shooting 300 yards in (that’s all I have access too these days). I want something with a larger eyebox than my Kahles 3-18x and more magnification for my poor eyesight (-7.5 D with astigmatism, and yes I wear my glasses when shooting).

I looked through a 5-25x Mark 5 Leupold this weekend and came away impressed. Seemed to have a decent eyebox even on 20-25x, clear glass. Was curious as to your thoughts on the Mark 5 vs say the ATACR 5-25x. The only other scope that blew me away recently was the Zeiss LRP S5 scope, but I’ve read people have had issues with the turrets (true or not)?

I just don’t shoot enough to justify a Tangent Theta, and I think S&B has priced themselves out of the market. Different suggestions are welcome. The Mark 5 seems to be the best “bang for the buck” in a military grade optic from what I have seen. I don’t necessarily need illumination right now, because I can’t even shoot at night at the places I have access too.

Thanks
Military grade means nothing other than they had the cheapest bid for a mil contract.

Find a used S&B PMII 5-25 for like 2500 bucks and you’ll be set. Otherwise the ziess will be the best optic you’ve mentioned.

Thanks
Why not look into a Kahles K525i DLR model with the extra wide field of view? You are already a fan of the Kahles scopes, and familiar with them.

Or take a look at the Zeiss LRP S3 in 4-25x50 or 6-36x56. They're great scopes for the money. (sub-$2,500).

Zeiss S3 4-25 or 6-36 would be a good choice. Also the Burris Pro in the price range you are looking.

Military grade means nothing other than they had the cheapest bid for a mil contract.
Facts 👍🏼

IMG_9900.jpeg

I would consider the Nightforce ATACR and NXS line to be some of the most durable scopes on the planet. That is what I consider military grade in terms
of water resistance and shock resistance.

Having said, I appreciate the replies. Very diverse. Please keep them coming.

Reactions: simonp
I would consider the Nightforce ATACR and NXS line to be some of the most durable scopes on the planet. That is what I consider military grade in terms
of water resistance and shock resistance.

Having said, I appreciate the replies. Very diverse. Please keep them coming.
Owning a recent production ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT and a Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56, and a bunch of Kahles scopes... Personally, the Zeiss has much better glass than the ATACR F1 5-25x56, and the Kahles has an accurate parallax. The Zeiss parallax doesn't have numbers, but it stays set, even under recoil and lots of shots...Same with the Kahles. The NF stays put, as well, but the numbers are WAY off from the actual distances.

The Kahles K series are phenomenal scopes. I'm running a K318i SKMR3 on my main hunting rifle, and a Gen2 or Gen3 (whatever the most recent generation is) K624i SKMR4 scopes on both my .308 Win's. I also have an old Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 4D-Dot reticle scope on an ultralight Ruger M77 MK-II Mountain Rifle 7mm-08.

I love the ATACR F1 if they would fix the glass and the parallax. Other than that, I feel it's a great scope. But for hunting, since glass quality is top importance (IMO) I would opt for something other than the ATACR.

Last edited:
I really liked my 5-25 ATACR F1 Mil-XT (now replaced with a 7-35 Mil-XT) but depending on your budget and how hard you want to look/monitor the PX, you could snag a 5-25 S&B for the same cost as a Mil-discounted 5-25 ATACR if you prefer their setups. Both are great optics…regardless of how much hate peeps here drop on NF. I like both but I prefer the Mil-XT over any of the reticles offered from S&B.

Really comes down to budget and reticle choice. 300yds and in can be done equally as well by a wide variety of optics. Establish an honest “to your door” budget and then look at the reticle options.

All that said, a MK5 PR2 5-25 won’t let you down and you’d be just as happy at the end of a range day.

🍻

Thanks

Whoever suggested the S&B 5-25 used for around $2500 is right on the money.

The zeiss lrp is very good also in that price range, get one and don't look back. Definitely would go that route over a loopy mark 5.

The kahles are hit and miss, though I do like the 318 but was unmoved by the 624 and sold the ones I owned.

IMHO if you’re only planning on just shooting out to 300 and in you could go for a even budget friendlier scope. I have owned MK5s, Razors, TTs and now running ZCO but the Zeiss S3 looks really interesting. I find the reticle on the S3 very appealing.

Reactions: FuhQ and R_A_W
Yeah used pmii or minox zp5. The minox is everything the pmii is with no tunneling and a better fov. 2800 at b&h photo

I’d rule out all Mk5s & ATACRs and then set a price range.

IMHO if you’re only planning on just shooting out to 300 and in you could go for a even budget friendlier scope.
^^^ this

Mk5 line is dated. IMO the 525 Mk5 should be a $1200 scope (suck it loopy fans). There are better options for less $ (XTR3, unless turrets are a primary factor for you… these have terrible turrets) or much better options for about the same or slightly more $ (S3, G3 Razor recommended above).

525 ATACR is the ATACR to avoid, NF just didn’t execute on this specific model. If you absolutely must get a NF, get the 4-16 or 7-35.

The Burris XTR-III 5.5-30x56 SCR 2 is an awesome scope for the money. I think they’re on sale right now at EuroOptic for like $1,250…

The Burris XTR-III 5.5-30x56 SCR 2 is an awesome scope for the money. I think they’re on sale right now at EuroOptic for like $1,250…
Retile will be too thin for what he's wanting.

Tract 4-25 and 4.5-30 are options worth considering, as well as the Delta Optical 4.5-30.
Sightron 5-30 is another option worth considering. It doesn't have a lot of adjustment range, but for your range, it is absolutely fine.

Reactions: Scopeye and Rob01
Retile will be too thin for what he's wanting.
He should be fine above 12x, definitely above 15x. IMO the SCR2 easier to see than the PR2. @Birddog6424 provided pictures comparing the illum/nonillum XTR3 reticles.

See also these two posts/comments:
I believe the illuminated SCR2 in the Pro is at .035. Decent thickness. If they use that same thickness in the XTR3i, which I imagine they will, then it should work for a crossover optic.
I posted elsewhere some photo comparisons of the illuminated versus non-illuminated reticle. I think I even had dimensions. Off the top of my head I think the illuminated reticle was .035 thickness? Maybe .030, I can't remember exactly. But it was made thicker to better accommodate the illumination.

Reactions: Birddog6424

Find a used S&B PMII 5-25 for like 2500 bucks and you’ll be set. Otherwise the ziess will be the best optic you’ve mentioned.
Here is a like new in box S&B PMII 5-25 for exactly $2,500.00. That's a great suggestion!