• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want a new Prairie Dog Scope for my 22-250

Majja

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2018
I am replacing my old tried and true 4x16 Weaver with duplex reticle, for something new and flashy. This is where I am torn do I go FFP or SFP. I am looking at these two scopes in the FFP range Burris Veracity 4x20 or its big brother Burris XTR II The XTR is pretty much at the top of the budget. I also was considering SFP with something like a Athlon Midas TAC. I really do like the floating Dot or Cross reticles. For a while I thought about the Sightron S-tac MOA2 or there are some real stellar deals on Bushnell Nitro 5x20s. While having shot FFPs on paper I have only ever shot SFP's on the filed so I am pretty good at Wind calls by minute of Prairie Dog. So I am open to any advice or suggestions you may have. This is on a heavy CZ 550 Kevlar Varmint so weight is not a consideration. Being able to get more accurate and repeatable wind call and hold overs are.

I am open to all suggestions new and used and the very top of the budget is 700-800.

Thank you
Majja

if that's your budget i'd prefer a strike eagle 5-25 ffp or the midas tac 5-25

call some site vendors. eurooptic, CS, liberty, cameraland and get their best pricing

The Midas TAC line is FFP. The regular Midas is SFP.

I'm usually on high mag first thing in the morning and mid mag as it warms up for PD's, and prefer FFP so holds remain constant.

I have had several Burris scopes and they are among the worst I have ever looked through.
I suggest you go SFP and get a quality used scope in your budget range.

I have had several Burris scopes and they are among the worst I have ever looked through.
I suggest you go SFP and get a quality used scope in your budget range.
Thanks for the honest reply. I have only played with a veracity and it was a long time ago.

Reactions: RTH1800
I concur with @Cotay, however if you go mrad, instead of the excellent 2c reticle, go for the midway/Eurooptic special reticle 2d: https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-5-25x50-EBR-2D-MRAD-FFP-PST-5257.aspx

Both light up just the central cross-hairs (good when you zoom out and don’t have the lit tree cluttering stuff up, like for coyote hunting).

Differences are the 2d places the numbers on the lower elevation stadia on the outside right (and not on each side like the 7c), and the 2d doesn’t have the open center of the 2c.

The center part isn’t important to me because I have never shot a PD in the center of the crosshairs! (I don’t dial). My PD scopes are zeroed at 300 yds and as you know, there’s lots of wind on the prairie and distances are frequently over 300yds.

edit: also, the 2d has a nicer (to me) outer thick line design compared to the 2c. It’s more open and that part is sort of like some NF designs.

Last edited:
Hard to beat that Bushnell 4-18.
So much I might have called Doug just before Christmas

Call him. Tell him the Hide sent you....

Otherwise sell plasma and sperm for the extra $ and get the xrs 4.5 -30.

Lots of good info her Thank you gent's. I have a Viper on a different rifle and love it. I will for sure take a look at the Vipers.

Just wanted to give a little update here. Due to a slightly hospitalization I had to modify my plans for a new optic. (fucking Covid). I ended up going with the Bushnell Match Pro. So far I am really impressed with it. It is mounted and leveled, I am just waiting for a good weather window when I am off of work to go sight her in and stretch her legs out a little bit. But just form the house it is very clear, I think I am going to like the reticle. If I like it I may purchase another one for an AR project, if not it will hit the road and I will look to buying something else. Here is a link to the scope.

Reactions: Hondo1