• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes I want a new scope!

Rich Coyle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Grants Pass, Oregon
I want a new scope with these features:

Field of view on lowest magnification: 22'

Highest power: at least 15X

Maximum weight: about 16 ounces

Ajustable objective: absolutely; will suffer through with side focus

Objective diameter: at least 50mm

Cross hair: first or second focal plane

Turrets: no preference

Brand: any

Price: not critical

Any ideas?

Re: I want a new scope!

16oz for a 15x scope? If you do find one, i hope that you plan on treating it like an egg. Ok, all kidding aside, when I thought that I had a need for such a thing, I settled on a 3.5-18x Swarovski Z5. I think that was the range. It had a good build, by virtue of a 1" tube and the glass was better than that of my Nightforce scopes, as well as having a wider field of view. I think I paid around $1300 for it. In the end, I sold it in favor of what I thought was a tougher scope. A Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonna need more info. What is the scope being used for? How far are you going to be shooting? Is price really not critical? Would you be will to spend $3k on a scope? What type of reticle? </div></div>

1. General hunting
2. 650 yards
3. I spent $1,675 on the second to last scope and $1,378 on the last one. Thes are <span style="font-style: italic">about</span> my upper limit.
4. heavy plex

Bucky,

That March looks great. I read a review about it and it sounds as good as the Europein scopes with more magnification. But the weight is too much.

So far the one that comes closest to what I want is a Swarovski 5-25. At 17 1/2 ounces it is only 1 1/2 over the desired weight.

Can anyone tell me if it is as good as the Z6 3-18X for light gathering?

Old man now,

I just ordered that March scope today - read alot of good reviews about it!! Gonna give it a shot.

Swaro Z6's are excellent scopes - don't think you'll go wrong with one!!

No experience with the Swaro Z5, but I'd bet its a hell of a nice scope - Swaro makes good stuff.

Best thing to do is to go look through one & check it out to see if it fits what you're looking for.

The Z5's are very nice scopes, and if your shooting under 650 yards you would have no problem using their reticle. I have a Z3 with the BRH reticle which is the same as the BRX just slightly heavier (thought its really not a heavy reticle at all), what I REALLY like about the reticle is unlike most ballistic reticles it's mil based so you can simply zero for 100 yards and then use a ballistic program or cards for different conditions and not run into the problems you often find with other reticles. Each line is .5mil and the dots are 1mil, and it has 4.5 to the last line which is enough to get most rifles past 650 yards with a 100 yard zero (conditions can effect a 200 yard zero too much).

A couple suggestions though, first is stay away from the ballistic turret models, they have no reticle hold points and at the distance you'll be shooting you need atleast some windage hold points to make any sort of a ethical shot. Also I would check and see what magnification the reticle is true on in the 5-25, you don't want it to be too high on a hunting rifle where you will be limited in field of view. 25X is really overkill for a under 650 yard hunting rifle anyway, they also offer a 3-18 which would probably be a better choice but still overkill for your use. You could also save yourself quite a bit of coin with the Z3 sales going on right now. You can get the 4-12X50 with BRX or BRH for under $1000 delivered and thats more than plenty magnification for your needs. Besides the obvious difference in the erector 3X vs 5X the only other difference is the springs they use for the erector, the glass and all is the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=198288
</div></div>
Hahahahhaa... </div></div>

Not as amusing (or as sad) as the glowing reviews for that item...

Today I called Swarovski and asked about the Z5 5-25X52 compared to the Z6 3-18X50. The fellow said the actually does barely better at light gathering. The Z6 3-18 is almost a quarter of a pound heavier and cost about another 1/3 more.

The Z5 3 1/2-18X44, he told me, is way behind the 52mm on 5-25X. Being fussy is getting to be expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old man now</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being fussy is getting to be expensive. </div></div>
Ah, welcome to the game.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old man now</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I called Swarovski and asked about the Z5 5-25X52 compared to the Z6 3-18X50. The fellow said the actually does barely better at light gathering. The Z6 3-18 is almost a quarter of a pound heavier and cost about another 1/3 more.

The Z5 3 1/2-18X44, he told me, is way behind the 52mm on 5-25X. Being fussy is getting to be expensive. </div></div>

He's talking out of his ass, you won't be able to notice a difference in clarity or light transmission between the two. If anything the 25X will appear worse because it will have more distortion on the top end. The only thing you will gain that you will be able to notice a difference is in exit pupil, which you would want the larger objective with the higher magnification model to have a larger exit pupil. The 5-25X52 will have a 2.08mm exit pupil on 25X, and the 3.5-18X44 will have a 2.44mm exit pupil on max power which is better than the 25.

Old man, as I posted above, I did have a Swaro Z5 not to long ago and I did compare it to the Z6 that was it's closest equivalent. Other than the difference in price, I did note a few other things. And I am going by memory.

First, the Z6 did gather more light. It has a larger objective. It was also heavier and more expensive. From what I remember, the Z5 and Z6 use the same glass and erector mechanism. The Z5 has a 1" tube and the Z6 has a 30mm tube. This is why the Z5 is so much lighter while maintaining a pretty robust build. Although the Z6 does gather more light than the Z5, I will say that the 3.5-18X Z5 that I had gathered every bit as much light as my 5.5-22X50 Nightforce does. Optically, the Z5 was the hands down winner when I compared it to my Nightforce.

I really can't express how impressed I was with the Swaro. If I ever have a need for that type of scope again, I will, without hesitation, get another. I just went with the Nightforce because it had the options that I was looking for and the glass ain't too shabby either.

Don't let the fact that the Z5 only has a 1" tube turn you off. At least not without giving one a try.

You might consider taking a Bertrillium-Zantitium mineral supplement; It helps your ninja vision.

If you're not into the mystical arts, Leupold Mark 4's are proven good and in your price range. I have a number of Swarovskis that I absolutely love. I have no experience with the cheaper line they are pushing these days.