• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want a semi-auto precision .308

AzNooB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2010
Dallas, TX
I think I want it to be a 20" as I don't have a bolt gun. For the rifle only, what would be the best gun for the money? Under $1500 would be ideal but I think I could coin up $2000.

I want a reliable rifle that is capable of 0.75 MOA at 100 yards (or better). It also needs to run on SR-25 pattern mags. I have an SR-15E3 upper on a Noveske lower, and as much as I would like a SR-25 of some sort, I don't think it's going to happen.

If I can significantly save from building, I would rather go that route. This rifle will not be used for SHTF (I have my SR15 and M14 for that) but it would be nice to have a rifle that will run without any problems.

Resale value is also a consideration since I go through guns like a girl goes through shoes.

-Used LaRue OBR
-Used GAP-10
-Used LMT MWS
-Build Ma-Ten from new/used parts
-Other?

Re: I want a semi-auto precision .308

Pro Tip: If you say SHTF on here people are going to make fun of you.

Also I've never shot one but I've been thinking about a DPMS. Their rifles are evidently very accurate and remarkably affordable. Most people seem very happy with them and they're definitely in your price range. They take cheap Magpul mags too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AzNooB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I want it to be a 20" as I don't have a bolt gun. For the rifle only, what would be the best gun for the money? Under $1500 would be ideal but I think I could coin up $2000.

I want a reliable rifle that is capable of 0.75 MOA at 100 yards (or better). It also needs to run on SR-25 pattern mags. I have an SR-15E3 upper on a Noveske lower, and as much as I would like a SR-25 of some sort, I don't think it's going to happen.

If I can significantly save from building, I would rather go that route. This rifle will not be used for SHTF (I have my SR15 and M14 for that) but it would be nice to have a rifle that will run without any problems.

Resale value is also a consideration since I go through guns like a girl goes through shoes.

-Used LaRue OBR
-Used GAP-10
-Used LMT MWS
-Other?</div></div>

I highly doubt you'll find any of he aforementioned rifles for $2000. An Armalite, DPMS LR-308 or SASS will probably be your best bet.

You can build a MaTen for around 2k...or at least you could a short while back. I posted this in a few threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buffer spring
Buffer
RE
RE nut
Stock
Cheek riser...thing this is a pretty neat attachment. It shows on the website it installing into the CTR but I put it on my MOE no problem. Plus it came with Dillo Dust which is AWESOME!
LPK I discarded the pistol grip as I hate it and put a tango down in its place. Without using the pistol grip and MOE trigger guard, you could probably get a custom LPK from G&R with only the parts you need
Upper/lower uses dpms thread pattern for the rail and I managed to catch it on sale Christmas 2010 for $499 @ Aimsurplus
BCG
Charging handle
Rail you'll have to check what your upper high is. there is a diagram there that will tell you what the dimensions should be for the low vs the high
Comp personal preference
Barrel</div></div>

Granted some of these are out of stock, but just google the name of the products and hope for the best to find them in stock.

You can use a standard AR15 LPK except for the take down pins. You need different ones that mate with the upper lower you choose. For instance Armalite has specific ones that are longer than standard ar15 ones. But the MA-ten come with them installed already so you dont have to worry about that. Armalite also sells an ar10 specific bolt catch but in my MA TEN I just used the standard one with 0 problems. The Armalite one IS different dimensionally though so if you go with an Armalite lower you will more than likely need to use it.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/ARMEA1112.aspx
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/ARMEA1113.aspx
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/ARM10203100.aspx

If you do choose to go the MaTen route the bolt will need to match whatever barrel extension that is installed on the barrel. I'm fairly certain there are only 2 types. Armalite pattern and DPMS/KAC pattern. If you asked me in 2011 when I was researching and building my gun I could have told you the differences, but no longer.

Also whatever upper lower combo you get will need to match the rail in both thread pattern and rail height. There are at least 3 different kinds. Armalite, DPMS high profile, DPMS low profile. The DPMS both have the same thread pattern and the only difference is the height of the rail
From here:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2493
Here is a link to the difference between the 2 DPMS types
http://www.rainierarms.com/misc/DPMS_RECEIVERS_COMPARE.pdf
Or to get around that problem you could hope to find a MA TEN with a monolithic rail (This is no longer a valid comment as you can't get them new anymore. LMT sued Mega to stop making these)

There is another brand that makes a similar thing to Mega and that is AXTX but I dont think they are on sale yet.

Depending on how far you want to shoot 20" may be more than you need. A lot of people get good results from 16" barrels. The LMT MWS is a 16" barrel. Even the gap10 is available in 16" and KAC has 2 308 rifles that are 16".

Also be aware if you choose to build the tools are different than ar15 tools. All of the starter punches are the same of course but the vice blocks are different and the barrel wrench and compensatory wrench are different. I had Marvin Pitts assemble my upper after he was done dimpling the Noveske barrel I sent him. He assembled it for almost no cost but it could have been because I ordered the dimpling from him.

I would look for a used LMT MWS, I've seen a couple selling for around the $2-2200 range within the past month. Also, check the AR15 and Calguns forums.

Have you also considered the cost of purchasing optics? Not sure $1500-2000 is enough for what you are looking for. I'd look for a good used gun or build it yourself.

I would also consider a Noveske as you might be able to find one closer to your price range. As was already stated you won't find any of the ones you mentioned even used for $2k.

My LR308 Oracle will do 3 shot groups into .655" at 100 yards. This is with the standard 16" 1 in 10 DPMS barrel, and with factory loads not hand loads. It really likes AMAX 168gr and TAP FPD 168gr rounds. Both of these will do the .655" groups. The gun is capable of more shots per group, but I'm not!!! I don't have access to a range longer than 100 yards, so don't know how it would perform at 200 to 600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randoman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pro Tip: If you say SHTF on here people are going to make fun of you.

Also I've never shot one but I've been thinking about a DPMS. Their rifles are evidently very accurate and remarkably affordable. Most people seem very happy with them and they're definitely in your price range. They take cheap Magpul mags too. </div></div>

I own 3 308 platform rifles all with Nightforce scopes and the PRS stocks.
LMT MWS, Armalite AR10-A4 with a Noveske upper and a DPMS SASS. Of the three the DPMS SASS is the most accurate much to my surprise. It will consistently shot 5 shot 100 yard groups under 0.75" using 168 grain SMK's. The LMY MWS is a close 2nd but at almost $1K more IMO the DPMS SASS is the one to get with your budget. It is the favorite of the 308's I own.

DPMS .308 24" bull
RR 2 stage trigger
$600 for optics, rings, bipod & grip (SS 10x, Warne rings, Ergo grip ? $450)

Skip the .308 Get a DPMS 6.5 creedmor or .260 for $999.00

If you're shopping AR's, call GA Precision and see who they recommend for AR's.
It'd be worth the time spent...

Seems like all the less expensive name-brand guns use Armalite mags. Even Armalite is switching over to the SR-25 mags.

I saw a vendor on arfcom with the new Armalite receivers for really cheap because they are blemished from the factory.

Is the difference between a DPMS .308 and one of the rifles I listed the same as the difference between a DPMS AR-15 and a BCM/KAC/Noveske/Larue/etc AR-15?

And yeah, I've got glass covered for now.

.308 based AR rifles are just expensive.

There are a few more affordable ones (DPMS, Bushmaster etc) but just like with an AR15 there will be compromises. The DPMS guns have a pretty good reputation, but you're going to compromise gas system length, receiver materials, trigger etc. Not to say they are bad guns, just a compromise in parts. It's easy to get carried away with a .308 gas gun, I believe I have around $4k into mine and that's with no glass yet.

You can build one for a good price, and have it made with great parts. It just takes a little more research and looking for deals than a AR.

EDIT: Go look at the 100yd groups thread. Most of the top performers are DPMS and guns like that. Gas guns are a lot of preference!

I bought a used GAP-10 from the sales section a few months back, and could not be happier. Having said that, they go fast and your price range may not get you there. But you listed it as a possibility.

LMTs are nice as well, and one of my friends is happy with that platform.

POFs have had their issues, do a search on their lawsuit with Hogan Manufacturing.

You might want to look at this one.
DSCN0136.jpg

DSCN0101_zpsff190d38.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0102_zpsf8aae605.jpg

DSCN0123.jpg

DPMS 308 with a 22"Shilen Match barrel. Magpul buttstock, Troy rail system, low profile gas block, JP trigger. With or without the Leatherwood M1200 scope.

You can get a new LMT at GT Distributors for $2300. That is a little out of your budget but it is a new weapon.

You can get a Sig 716 for around $1600 but by the time you replace the trigger and do a few other upgrades you might as well of bought the LMT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AzNooB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I want it to be a 20" as I don't have a bolt gun. For the rifle only, what would be the best gun for the money? Under $1500 would be ideal but I think I could coin up $2000.

58349.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...h+BarrelNationa

<span style="color: #FF6666">Piss on SR-25 mags. [marklevinvoice]There, I said it!!![/marklevinvoice]</span>

-Used LaRue OBR
-Used GAP-10
-Used LMT MWS
-Other? </div></div>

I said my piece/peace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get a new LMT at GT Distributors for $2300. That is a little out of your budget but it is a new weapon. </div></div>

They're $2400 now and after tax, it's $2600.

I'd be willing to buy a used one if I could find one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slm9s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's my finders fee?

Tough to beat this, and its from a great seller:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...278#Post3641278

or this:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_120/1046951_WTS_WTT__POF_P308__20___2000__ILLINOIS.html </div></div>

If the OP is still looking, I got a quote from GAP for a Mike Rock barrel cut to 18" when I was researching my Mega Noveske that I posted up there, and the barrel listed in that first rifle is approx $800 just for the barrel. Using my build components and that barrel would have pushed my gun to $23-2400. $1900 sounds like a really good deal to me. If it includes what looks like the Harris bipod and the mount thats around another $100

I know GAP makes amazingly accurate rifles, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm just being picky. I really want the SR-25 pattern mags.

I'm really eyeing the LMT MWS and SR-25 ER and EC now.

Justified or not, I have always been drawn towards rifles that are battle proven. I'm starting to believe a 1 MOA blaster is what I want, as opposed to a 0.5-0.75 MOA gas gun that may or may not be reliable in harsh conditions.

I know, I keep changing my mind. That's the wonderful thing about not knowing exactly what you want. It's funny because I'm nowhere near as fickle in the AR-15 world. I already know exactly what I like in them.

The GAP DOES use SR25 pattern mags. And I believe is more capiable than the other two. Although they are both nice rifles my GAP-10 will always have a place in my trunk or safe.

Played with a Sig 716 while waiting for my Larue PredatAR to come in. Sig 716 I had was easily capable of under under 1.0" MOA at 100 yards. Most of the time I could keep it around .75" MOA. I never shot it any farther than that. I don't really care for piston in general but it was a soild rifle.

I had a 16" DPMS .308 several years ago that was in a flat top format. It came with a card that said it was not a precision rifle and to not expect sub 1" groups with it (forget exact wording but you get the idea). I scoped it as a short of DMR and was able to hover bewteen 1-1.25" all day long at 100 yards.

That being said, the Sig was much smoother feeling action wise than the DPMS or a commercial Remington I have felt recently. The Larue blows them both out of the water but I doubt you will get a used one for $2000.

Got an offer for a GAP-10 for $2700. How does it compare to the older GAP AR-10?

Also, how reliable are the GAP gas guns when compared to the LMTs and KACs which are more of battle rifles?

Bass pro shop has DPMS LR 308 for under $1000 about a week ago..
I got mine for $1200 at my local gun shop. Love it! Might not be the "higer end" rifles, but if you do your part they are extreamly accurate. .5 moa or better with 165gr is what it likes best so far...still gotta try 175gr.

I still have a LR308 that was threaded at GAP, and if you are active mil/Leo , I will put it at your ffl for 1050.00!

Messer what length barrell did you get on the PredatAR? What size groups are you seeing?