• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want to krylon my 5R

Re: I want to krylon my 5R

You could throw up a little more money and have it professionally coated if you are worried about it scratching. Remember, when you paint, it's all about PREP WORK.

the good thing about Krylon, if you chip it or it wears thin......it cost all of 6 bucks(3 for 1 can of paint and +/- 3 bucks for gas) to touch it up.....its simple

Or if something fancy strikes you its all about creativity and not huffing the fumes.

Some have had good luck with a flat clear coat over the Krylon....prep the stock, shoot the paint and allow proper drying time, then shoot 2-3 coats of a good flat clear coat on it.

Kelly

Yeah, just do it. My wife left the house when I painted mine cause she said she didnt want to be around when I %$#@# up the gun
shocked.gif
but it really isnt tough at all. ky shooter is right for the prep work. There are several good tutorials here. I used blue painters tape overlapped on my truck window and cut out with an exacto knife for templates on a gap-like camo job on my 5r.

Krlyon does wear off the bolt knob pretty quick, but then who cares?? Its a tool...

You can do a nice job with krylon and a clearcoat. Here is my first, just finished today.

It is a cell phone pic because my camera is down.

sprcamo.jpg

some of the coolest paint schemes are krylon....done one on top of another, all different colors and patterns....toss it in the weeds and it will vanish .

Top is a 5R Krylon'd Ultra Flat Black in an AICS (bolt was ceracoated when bolt knob installed)
Bottom is a 10/22 with bead blasted barrel krylon'd black and a Krylon GAP style camo job on the stock.
Just do it!
2723160215_large.jpg

Go Krylon. It is easy to do, and easy to fix if you scratch it or don't like it. I've done a few different patterns on my AR, and all have held up well. I usually let it sit somewhere fairly warm for a day or so after I paint it to let it really dry well and then spray 3 or 4 good coats of Krylon flat clear over it. It's been about 2 years since the last time I painted it and it is holding up great. The only thing is that you have to be careful when you're cleaning your rifle. Hoppes and Butch's both make the paint really sticky and will make it come off if you let it sit on there.

For some winter coyote hunting...
SANY0915.jpg

Current
IMG_2915.jpg

Be careful about painting the HS stock. I've seen the original finish damaged when the Krylon was removed. Just in case you wanted to return it to its original colors. HS Precision will refinish it for $80.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDeadeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For some winter coyote hunting...
SANY0915.jpg
</div></div>

NICE.

Did mine in 3 nights. Plan out your pattern. Clean out side of your weapon. Put your pattern on. Spray weapon. Then put on a couple coats of Flat polyuerthane. Best part of it if you get tired of the color/ pattern strip it and start over.

IMG00058-20100324-1849.jpg

IMG00088-20100525-1942.jpg

I clean mine with plain old alcohol and paper towels.

But then again I am rather ghet-toe.
frown.gif

Kryon camo paint rocks. I've painted every single one of my bolt and pump guns with it. It's easy to apply, wells OK, and touches up like a breeze. Just put a good coat of matte clear over it.

here is both my rattle can jobs the ar is the latest and my 204 ruger has been done for a few years and has relocated lots of prairie dogs it has some ware but thats cause i use it

da888dd6.jpg

b18a1f2f.jpg

I just did my 5R in a simple gap camo with krylon I also textured it before painting it check it out

Remmy700Paint11.jpg

Remmy700Paint9.jpg

My Remmy 5R prep work is key specially with the finish on the 5R you have to make sure you knock down the green web like finish they spray on the stock by sanding it or else it will show up as bumps after you krylon it. As far as clear coats go I would also like to know as I am going to wait 6 more days for the krylon to fully cure before I start looking at clear coats.

I like the simple scheme on the 5R. That's how I do mine now. We found that a tight woodland camo or tight digital just turns into a dark blob in this area ... just like a rifle. LOL. So now I do a tan base and a few OD stipes across the rifle and scope. It seems to work better against deer and against people in low light. MultiCam or tighter patterns work well in scrub or rocks and sand.

Just gave the A5 on my 7Wizzer a Krylon 'sponge job', for a goof...
DSC06710.jpg

It matches the A5 on the .243...
range009.jpg

which matches the .20TAC...
range010.jpg

which matches the .223 Wizzer...
Torch004.jpg

which matches the 6x45...
43lbmalered009.jpg

which matches the .17 Predator...
Idaho2010018.jpg

which matches the .25Wizzer...