• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want to sporterize my TRG, dumb ass?

sakoluvr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
North Carolina
Don't be shy, tell me if I have to remove my head from my arse. I have a .300 WM TRG that is not working out for long range hunting, despite the fact that a lot of my shooting is from tower stands.

The rifle shoots lights out with my handloads, hence my apprehension to sell the rifle.

I am looking to turn it into a "sendero" type rifle by cutting the barrel a couple of inches, getting an integral brake and a sendaro type stock.

Figured I would try to sell the factory stock.

Should I just sell the TRG and take a loss, or turn this proven shooter into a rifle that I could use more? This rifle is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I love the generous size magazine box, which lets me seat the bullets where I want. Don't think i can do that with the rem sendaro.

Re: I want to sporterize my TRG, dumb ass?

You'll probably make a lot less stress for yourself if you just sell your TRG and buy a TRG-S/M995 in 300WM. It's basically the hunting version of the TRG. It uses the same size (front to back) magazine but of lower capacity. Good luck,
Justin

Good God man!

Please no!

Get yourself something along the lines of a T3 varmint in .308 such as this:

It will hammer deer way out there.

082-1.jpg

2005Deer598yds308Tikka.jpg

I've got a Sako M995 TRG-S in .300Weatherby, if you're interested. Seriously....

Sell your TRG, to someone that can enjoy it, but don't Bubba it.

Yeah, I hear ya. I really want a Robert Gradous Rifle, and should have bought one to start with. The sad part is I have around 50 rounds down the tube. Have it set-up with a Near Alpha mount. It is everything I thought I wanted! I would just keep it if I could afford to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sakoluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't be shy, tell me if I have to remove my head from my arse. I have a .300 WM TRG that is not working out for long range hunting, despite the fact that a lot of my shooting is from tower stands.

The rifle shoots lights out with my handloads, hence my apprehension to sell the rifle.

I am looking to turn it into a "sendero" type rifle by cutting the barrel a couple of inches, getting an integral brake and a sendaro type stock.

Should I just sell the TRG and take a loss, or turn this proven shooter into a rifle that I could use more? This rifle is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I love the generous size magazine box, which lets me seat the bullets where I want. Don't think i can do that with the rem sendaro. </div></div>

Just curious; what is it about the TRG that is not working for you?

I have a 26 inch 260 TRG that I love and have thought about picking up a 308 with 20 inch barrel as a hunting platform. Has anyone fluted the barrel and cut it down to 16-18 inches for a reasonably handy and lightweight tactical hunting platform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeway</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sakoluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't be shy, tell me if I have to remove my head from my arse. I have a .300 WM TRG that is not working out for long range hunting, despite the fact that a lot of my shooting is from tower stands.

Should I just sell the TRG and take a loss, or turn this proven shooter into a rifle that I could use more? This rifle is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I love the generous size magazine box, which lets me seat the bullets where I want. Don't think i can do that with the rem sendaro. </div></div>

Just curious; what is it about the TRG that is not working for you? </div></div>

Portability, lacks quickness in a tower stand for a fast shot, too heavy, stock is better suited for a bench or prone. Looking for more of a hunting rifle. It sure as hell accurate!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToKeepAndBear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 26 inch 260 TRG that I love and have thought about picking up a 308 with 20 inch barrel as a hunting platform. Has anyone fluted the barrel and cut it down to 16-18 inches for a reasonably handy and lightweight tactical hunting platform? </div></div>

I think I would leave it at 20"

20" for .308 is about the most you'd want to go. 18" maybe if you're really tight for space or are a short bloke (heard the other day on the radio that americans are a couple of inches shorter than us aussies? don't quote me though! :p )

As for the TRG. why ruin a good rifle that someone else could make use of. the Tikka T3 is made by Sako in finland. Believe it or not Sako make the barrels on the same machinery (and many other parts to boot), are engineered by the same people, and are held to the same standards. If you love the TRG Accuracy, Quality and Dependability. Go for a Tikka. You can get that light, sporterised custom you wanted. And honestly i don't think there's anything wrong with them, even the questionable stock isn't THAT bad, and Manners will inlet one for you anyhow.