• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I went long range shooting and now I'm hooked!!!

Fireman308

Peeing on a fire hydrant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Muscle Shoals, AL
So 3 weeks ago I went shooting with some of my buddies. They started out at 1760yrds. There were some amazing guns and scopes. I brought along with me a newly "traded for" Remington 700 308 26" varmint contour. With a Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly.

After watching them shoot at that distance with the rigs they were shooting I quickly figured out I was way out gunned. They asked if I wanted to shoot of course I said no. But don't count me out I will be back with a new and improved gun.

I since sold the scope and added some things. I added a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44, weaver 20moa base, weaver 4 hole rings, Timeny "flat" trigger, Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, bipod, and a Kinetic Research bolt knob I think that is it at this moment in time. I'm having a hard time with trying to justify a muzzle brake. I will have to get the barrel threaded. I think I want too!! Any tips or suggestions I will greatly listen!!

The stock is being dipped right now so it's not one there in the pic!!

a3yqebat.jpg

usy6equm.jpg

aryduja5.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530785.684491.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530785.684491.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 18
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530834.032128.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530834.032128.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530861.465427.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530861.465427.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
sejyny5a.jpg

yvutu6ar.jpg

e8e7ere9.jpg

The post was suppose to explain how I went shooting with some buddies and found out real quick that I was out gunned. I upgraded my Remington 700 308 26" varmint contour

Vortex Viper 6.5-20-44
Weaver 20moa base
Weaver 4 hole rings
Bell and Carlson Medalist stock (NP)
Timney "flat style" trigger (not pictured)
Kinetic Research bolt knob
Bipod

The stock is being dipped in Atacs as we speak so it not in the pic. I'm very happy with my build so far. I really wanna thread the barrel and put a muzzle brake on it. What y'all think?

J I carried a Remington 700 308 with me with a Bushnell Elite 3200 firefly. I quickly found out I was outgunned and outscoped.

Well welcome to the club.... Your wallet will hate you later lol

I since have upgraded some things

Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44
Weaver 20moa base
Weaver 4 hole rings
Kinetic Research bolt knob
Timney "flat style" trigger
Bell and Carlson Medalist stock
Bipod

So where are you shooting? And how far?
Any target pictures?

Actually no, no target pics. They were shooting 338 lapua's and 260. They were shooting at 1 mile. I shot at 400 but ran out of glass. So that's why the change happened. Haven't got to shoot the current setup yet.

It gets in your blood in a hurry, no doubt about it. There is just something extremely satisfying about hearing that "ding!" ring back across the valley at you.

What ammo are you using? If you don't reload you are soon to be very tempted to fall in to that awesome hobby as well. As posted above there is not many things more rewarding that making your own ammo , better than anything you can get from the factory, and ringing a 10" plate at 1K with a little ole .308.

Welcome ! Upgrading never stops. Hard times now that ammo scarce and high priced. Even reloading supplies in short supply, but hopefully things will improve in the next 6 months. Have Fun

Welcome ! Upgrading never stops. Hard times now that ammo scarce and high priced. Even reloading supplies in short supply, but hopefully things will improve in the next 6 months. Have Fun

I bought my first .308 a couple of weeks ago... I have a friend that is allowing me/teaching me on his reloading setup, but I of course had to buy all the components. I could not believe how long it took to track down everything I was after, and how much I paid for it vs when I was researching everything I wanted back in November. I feel like I lucked out though, 4lbs of Varget, 500 175gr SMK HPBT, 200 Lapua Brass and 900 CCI primers all found in 1 month, for about $480.

By no means is it the deal of the century, but in this climate I was happy to even find Varget. And I will have 500 rounds which should last me a couple of weeks if I take it slow~

ps I wont.

I have a buddy who is going to load me some for the time being. But eventually I want to get my own setup. I never wanted to get into relaoding for the simple fact I didn't want another hobby. Guess I have another hobby coming soon. I have some 155 SMK that be loaded I will be shooting this weekend. Looking forward to it

Welcome to the sport and I'm glad to have one more brother in arms.

I will add that the previous posts are spot on about your wallet hating you.
I'm just lucky the wife approves....well...as long as the bills get paid first. ;)

If you really want to be ruined then go to a class- KM precision, rifles only, accuracy 1st- they are all great! And will show you how in depth you can go with this stuff. Have fun and good luck!

I have always been into shooting. Im a Pistol Instructor and Range officer, but never have I shot at long distances. I am currently looking for some matches close to my town or in the surrounding areas.

Went today and shot metal out to 1000yds. First time at that long actually shooting myself. I LOVED IT.

Shot 155g Sierra Match Kings 46.5 of varget. Here is the new setup

qa8ana8a.jpg

patu9equ.jpg