• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I Wish I Could Have Been There....

G

Late last night, when some crackhead with a sawzall stole the catalytic converter from under my daughter's car.

Talk about a Louisville Slugger moment!
mad.gif

Re: I Wish I Could Have Been There....

Most likely that was a Meth-head. 8 lb sledge would've been better. Start at the feet and work your way up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most likely that was a Meth-head. 8 lb sledge would've been better. Start at the feet and work your way up. </div></div>

Definatly the work of a meth-head!!!

Most of the trash meth-heads know all about stealing scrap metal, especially copper... this one sounds particularly crafty and ambitious, those catalytic converters go for a pretty good chunk of change!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Late last night, when some crackhead with a sawzall stole the catalytic converter from under my daughter's car.

Talk about a Louisville Slugger moment!
mad.gif
</div></div>

I wonder at what point there will come a V-8 moment and the prosecution of salvage operators who buy catalytic converters, aluminum guard rails and light posts and other obviously, or highly probable, stolen items will occur.

I was at my sister in law's wedding a few years ago, to a Tampa cop. at the reception I was sitting among all these cops, and told by several, that the two (2), officers working the pawn bureau had a good handle on the hundreds of pawn shops in Tampa, thus stolen goods aren't fenced in pawn shops...

Uh Huh.

Sorry about your daughter's needless and unjustified expense and inconvenience. Glad she wasn't hurt.

I do believe i would have went law abiding citizen and found and old run down building and messed his shit up.. Like one nut at a time in a vice clam nice and slow untill BUSTTTTTTT. well maybe thats a little to far

queequeg,
I pondered upon the same.

My guess is that they're selling to less trustworthy muffler shops, who are in turn selling them to the salvage dealers for the precious metals inside.

I also worry as to what may have happened if she had stumbled upon them in the act.

She recently moved from a neighborhood of high crime to what we thought was an upgrade.

Now I wonder. And I always worry.

they came through my lot one nite and hit 16 cars .
the cop was here most of the day writing vin numbers and reports
if youre lucky you can get an aftermarket one for 85 bucks and call it good unless you have one of those cars thats oem only
good luck

They weren't what you'd call careful with the Sawzall.
They took out about 6" of pipe with the converter.

Muffler shop 1/2 block from her place fixed it for $250.
Insurance covered all over $100.

I told the guys at the muffler shop that it would be easier next time if they'd just leave their business card on the windshield.

They didn't seem amused.

The wifes Jeep broke down along the highway, S of St. Louis a few yrs. back. My Buddy who owns a wrecker service went to pick it up the 1st thing the next morning. The brand new "cadilac" converter was GONE! It is the platinum in them, that they want. A salvage yard just N of here had a 55gal. drum full of them stolen last year. The perp. took a screw gun and removed the sheet metal form the side of the building, right where the drum stood..."hard times flush a chump".

Supposedly the junk yards are required to get ID now log in who sells them those types of things. Trying to cut down on where they can fence it. I highly doubt that the junk yards are playing on a level field though - not all but some.

Advanced criminals without drug habits will pull your airbags out. It is quite amusing to interview the ones who are not up to par on their craft and set the airbag off with some type of object in their hand and their face over the bag. Perhaps, not as amusing as my love for run-on sentences though.

they stole one out of my girlfriends jeep AT THE AIRPORT! IN THE SECURE PARKING!!!

Actually had time to unbolt it and take it out. Left there socket and all the bolts behind.

A friend of mine had his stolen at the long term parking lot of the airport. Looked like it was cut off with a cordless sawzall! Desperate times, Desperate measures!

the airport business sounds like an inside job to me... not to steal your thunder patriot but indeed: "hard times flush a chump"

There is almost $200 worth of platinum in a standard cat, more in a cat from a SUV or truck. But there is nearly $300-$400 worth in newer cadillac cats, and most of them have multiple cats. I had a friend who drove all over town buying old cats from muffler shops, he would extract the platinum and sell it. He is still in business today, but he does his shit legit!

These punks that go stealing cats need to be shot!

Salvage dealers only get 10 dollars for a cat. You can buy brand new converters for less that 100 bucks. Does not seem worthwhile to steal one. Crackheads aren't business savvy, I guess.LOL

Few months back we had 2 cat. converters stolen from work trucks, It was pitch black and pouring rain out, so the camera that is right on the trucks couldn't see anything. Thugs were in and out in under 4 minutes. A$$holes

Several years ago, my sister had the fog lights removed from her '92 GT Mustang in the night. Her car was literally parked right outside of her apartment door and she never heard a thing. Luckily, I worked for the PD in that city and staked out her parking lot whenever I wasn't busy. One night, a buddy and I saw 5 guys prowling the lot, looking in the cars with flashlights. We caught 3. Turned out that they weren't the fog light thieves, but it became evident that college apartment lots were prime targets of opportunity.

Don't know about eveyone but I think it would have been better. If while he was cutting the CAT off your daughters car you could have had a sawall and been cutting off one of his legs hanging out from under the car. Then he wouldn't be so quick for the cops to catch when his all jack up and shit!

My oldest son had his removed in the parking lot were he works during daylight hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Salvage dealers only get 10 dollars for a cat. You can buy brand new converters for less that 100 bucks. Does not seem worthwhile to steal one. Crackheads aren't business savvy, I guess.LOL </div></div>

If the band new ones you are referring to are aftermarket cats, they do not contain anywhere near the amount of platinum OEM cats have. And good luck getting a OEM cat for $100! they cost close to $1000 if not more.

This is fairly common in the Denver metro area. A ring of bandits is hitting the area bus parking lots (park and ride). This only takes a few minutes and they sell the converters for salvage. They make a few bucks and cost the car owner huge.

In Vegas the methheads are stealing copper out of all the street lamps......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Advanced criminals without drug habits will pull your airbags out. It is quite amusing to interview the ones who are not up to par on their craft and set the airbag off with some type of object in their hand and their face over the bag. Perhaps, not as amusing as my love for run-on sentences though. </div></div>

Airbags command big bucks. Back in the day, they were upward of $2500 new, so you could easily get $1500 for an intact used one... I don't know if that's changed or not.

I'll never understand the balls of a crackhead to crawl under someone's car and make all that racket, al for a CC....

It's a shame he didn't knock it out of PARK.Scumbag, its a good thing you weren't their-YOU'D be the one doing 7-10 for aggravated assault.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I told the guys at the muffler shop that it would be easier next time if they'd just leave their business card on the windshield.

They didn't seem amused. </div></div>

Haha