• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s i wonder if gun sales will go up this year agin

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
im not a smart man hen it comes to the in's and out's of the market. but are they expecting a push in sales? i know alot of guys on here have a finger in that just out of my own interest whats the market look like?

Re: i wonder if gun sales will go up this year agin

I suspect we'll see a major run on guns as well as primers powders, etc. right around October picking up steam in November. I know I'll be doing my part.

I am a salesman for a shooting sports wholesaler and I'll tell you what we're seeing and hearing.

In general there has been a slowdown from the post-election rush but it took almost 2 1/2 years to start slowing down and hasn't slowed down to pre-election levels.

As for this year, the industry is expecting another very busy year and so far it's showing evidence of that. Look at gun sales just prior to Christmas. The vast majority of those were defensive/tactical weapons, not hunting firearms. Certain calibers (9mm and 7.62x39 for example) are not in short demand but the supplies are moving as fast as we can get them in.

Whether it's in anticipation of the demand or as they claim due to material costs, there have been some major ammo price increases already and I'm sure there will be more to come.

I personally do not expect the rush to be as strong as after the election but do expect it to be a very good year in this industry. If O gets re-elected it'll be insane.

After the post-election rush died down there were many dealers stuck with tons of very expensive inventory, most of it they had paid way too much for as the industry inflated prices all the way from the manufacture down to the local dealer according to the demand. Several of our dealers faced some very lean times trying to pay off the inventory they had that was no longer moving. One of the biggest areas we saw this in was the high-end AR business. That market is very flat while low end guns still continue to fly off the shelves.

Charlie

seems like everyone i know would rather have 10 low end pieces of garbage guns over 1 high end tack driver and iv never under stood it. Id much rather have one gun that i know inside and out then say i have 10 and im no good with any of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henke4310</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like everyone i know would rather have 10 low end pieces of garbage guns over 1 high end tack driver and iv never under stood it. Id much rather have one gun that i know inside and out then say i have 10 and im no good with any of them. </div></div>

I agree but having a few that you can trade off or drop in a river isn't a bad idea either.

ya a beat around gun or 2 are needed ill give you that

Over the past 4 months sales have been a steady rise. I am expecting to see this continue throughout the rest of this year. As far as quality gun sales it has been split; half junk, half quality. The one puzzling thing is neither group is buying that much ammo or mags. A gun is useless without those and I made sure they realized that.

My local gun dealer told me that he tripled his gun sales this past December and has seen his sales beat month after month for the past year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henke4310</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like everyone i know would rather have 10 low end pieces of garbage guns over 1 high end tack driver and iv never under stood it. Id much rather have one gun that i know inside and out then say i have 10 and im no good with any of them. </div></div>

I agree but having a few that you can trade off or drop in a river isn't a bad idea either. </div></div>

I'd rather have a good gun that I can trust after it's been dropped in a river, would definitely give it a cleaning/drying afterwards, but i'd be able to trust it more than a crappy gun taking a swim.

betcha ammo goes more nuts then guns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henke4310</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like everyone i know would rather have 10 low end pieces of garbage guns over 1 high end tack driver and iv never under stood it. Id much rather have one gun that i know inside and out then say i have 10 and im no good with any of them. </div></div>

I agree but having a few that you can trade off or drop in a river isn't a bad idea either. </div></div>

I'd rather have a good gun that I can trust after it's been dropped in a river, would definitely give it a cleaning/drying afterwards, but i'd be able to trust it more than a crappy gun taking a swim. </div></div>

I meant drop it in a river and leave it there forever (hopefully).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">betcha ammo goes more nuts then guns </div></div>Ammo and primers will yield a better return than the stock market or a cd. All it will take is a little panic buying.

i know im starting now stocking up for at least 2000-3000 rounds reload depending on cal and use starting this month. i have all my primers over 4 different calibers and will be ordering the powder the next 2-3 months then the projectiles, i also have the cast for .45 .9mm and 1oz shotgun.

Im not a theorist of any sort but the reason im doing it is about 4 years ago prices went through the roof and i believe its the markets way if making serious money, ill buy enough to get me through the next 2 hunting seasons then all will be right.

because im afraid of powders going to 40-50 bucks a pound like the did before primers 5-6 bucks a box you nit being able to get 223 or 9-45 ammo unless you stand in line at the local walie-world at midnight. that lasted in my area for about 5 months maybe longer.

People strategic buying guns/ammo/components en masse leading up to the election will contribute to rising prices just as panic buying afterward will.

I'm no Obama fan (he's vilified my industry a hell of a lot more than most) but let's face it, even with the AG Holder/F&F/purchase reporting controversies the Obama Administration hasn't been the gun grabbers many have portrayed or claimed them to be.

Even if Obama gets re-elected (which is doubtful unless the economy & employment comes screaming back in the next 10 months) I don't believe radical gun control is a high political priority...especially if Congress remains controlled by Republicans.

just a quick word, no political sayings you get banned i know. it was a little thing i thought but it was a big one as the bosses,. so i had to sit on the side lines, i did not mean for it to be political, but it can easily go that way. but lets try not to

The best thing for gun sales? Barack Obama. Almost makes you wonder if he has some coin invested in ARs, haha. Anyway, I think between all of the preppers, 2012 doomsday theorists, and the possibility of Obama (or any other democrat) being elected, guns and ammo are going to be selling like crazy. Time to buy all that cool AR stuff.
Two things ruin guns... rust and politicians.

Thid could be political
I will say nothing.....

For Christ sakes this is about ammo and guns, oops I said Christ this could be a religous penalty!

Its election year, and a big one at that, sales will go throught the roof, sales will go up, demand will go up and supply will go down. Expect to not be able to find certain calibers of factory loaded ammo as well as components. Not trying to make this political, but this is a decisive time for this country and I think the sales will reflect that. Good time to be a dealer though.
smile.gif

Just visited Dick's yesterday for a quick peek.

Ammo is abundant, with additional shelves being dedicated to the overflow.

A lot of empty slots in the gun racks, with prices reaching ludicrously high levels (i.e. $1399 for a camo Rem .308 AR).

I have a couple of items in mind, but I'll be going to my local dealer.

One of them was the Mossberg MMR. I will be looking for a Stag Arms 6H instead, and partly because the Mossbberg MMR is basically myth. Nobody has one, or can find one, to actually sell me.

Another one of them was/is the Mossberg MVP. It entertains the same mythical quality as the MMR. I'm not quite ready to forsake this wish, but I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> starting to take an interest in other ways to own a 223/5.56 varmint bolt gun that accepts AR compatible mags.

Savage, are you listening?

When you folks get out to the SHOT show can some of you please kick Mossberg's butt for me about that?

Greg

what i don't understand is ho the mossburg tactual is freaking 550.00 wtf i can buy parts and build one cheaper

No doubt this is an important election: If our current "situation" gets another 4 yrs than I think ammo will be under siege. July/August will be the litmus test - it's on the shelf now and if I'm wrong I know I will use it eventually.
My 2 cents.

Went to the Dallas Market Hall gun shot yesterday, my observations.

1 People who were selling personal firearms went home with them if they were quality. I sold me sks, a guy sold his high-point car. The dude with a Novekse when home with it, he wasnt asking an outlandish price ether.

Prices (I believe)on guns are down, but not to pre 08 prices.

Ammo is up. $26-32 for quality 9mm HP ammo (TAP, Corbon, ect...)

Tons of people with Chinese scopes and flashlights.

I didn't see a ton of people sitting down filling out paper, several dealers had that table with 2-3 girls doing paperwork totally empty.

Apparently ammo cans (the good ones) are drying up. Only had 1 guy with them, wish I had bought a few more.

More people people had tactical than old hunting rifles

It seamed like the whole front of the show was nazi / WWII oriented.

I wish primers would go back down to 12/1000.
I cant believe they cant keep up with production after all this time has passed....

I can see it picking up. I can see people wanting to buy the fun stuff. Most everyone has a bolt hunting rifle. Everything will be harder to get.

Just start early and buy what you need now. If you are burning 500 primers per year why not buy 5000 of them and put the extra in cans? That is a 10 year supply.

I was at the DFW gun show Saturday and I've never seen half that many people there. It was absolutely nuts. Massive line just to get in the door.

I'm not sure if it was just because it was the first show of the year, if it was the nice weather, or if it was the political environment, but people were out in force.

Lots, and lots, and LOTS of ARs. Only 1 precision rifle (DTA SRS covert hidden on a table amongst other shitt). People were grabbing $650 ARs like they were going out of style. It was nuts.

The funny thing is despite the amount of people there prices were not high. I figured there'd be a lot of gouging going on related to the fear-mongering. But from what I saw that wasn't the case.

Parker