• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I would like to get started suggest please

qcustom

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2010
I am new here but been reading a lot. I have done a lot of pistol and rimfire shooting. I would like if you could help with equipment suggestions. I now own savage 22lr heavy barrel, savage 17hmr heavy barrel, bushmaster i think a2 model 20in heavy barrel, and Rem. 700 bdl 30-06 to nice to build up. All rifles have 3-9x40 entry level nikon scopes. I would like to start with a good scope lower price scope 300-400 and start by shooting the 06 or ar and then upgrade rifle later. I will probley only shoot to 400-500 yards at most start by no more then 300 yards. I do have some reloading equipment and almost ready to get started in 06 and 223. I guess i would like some scope ideas and suggestions on what rifle to use 17hmr, 06, or AR and when the time comes what to build or buy later?

Re: I would like to get started suggest please

Youre price range go with a nikon buckmaster 4-18x40 with Sf and mildot. Start looking around the gunshops for older beat up rifles that are in poor condition. Use that rifle for your first build. Once the barrel and stock are removed sell them on a website like this one for 50 - 80$. Use that money to start the rebarrel process. Start off maybe with shilen send it in and have them rebarrel it for you. Then find a new stock. Glass bed it. Then build up a new trigger. Then send it all in to be trued and timed. A project like that for me will take about 1 year or more, but I dont have alot of money to spend on projects like this. Have fun and enjoy.

I would start shooting your 06 the most and work on your skills there. If you start reloading, focus on finding the powder your rifle likes as well as the distance off the lands that your bullet likes. Doing ladder testing is probably the best way to find these. Once you find this out and you use constant brass, your rifle should be accurate enough to work on your shooting skills until you have a custom stick.

As for scopes, I think the Nikon's are great and an 18 power would be powerful enough. Much over that and you have mirage issues when it is warm out. I also think Sightron is a great value scope.

I have some nice custom sticks, but I don't have the time to practice. A good friend of mine has a factory Winchester .223 heavy barrel and always gives me a run for my money as he practices a lot more than I do. The skill is developed in the practice time, not the quality of the stick you have.

All good advice. The 17HMR should be your "I just need to send a couple hundred rounds down range today" gun. Buy some good factory 30-06 and practice as much as you can afford. Upgrade as finances allow, and if and when you feel you are getting good ( and financialy comfortable ) , shift to full customization or spring for a broken in build from a SH member, most likely in .308. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boboss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All good advice. The 17HMR should be your "I just need to send a couple hundred rounds down range today" gun. Buy some good factory 30-06 and practice as much as you can afford. Upgrade as finances allow, and if and when you feel you are getting good ( and financialy comfortable ) , shift to full customization or spring for a broken in build from a SH member, most likely in .308. Good luck! </div></div>

Thumbs up, I forgot to say all this as well.