• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing IBA Accurizing

Re: IBA Accurizing

rifle shoots fine. im sure that answer the question, but originally i am just curious as to the value of that work.

If the rifle is shooting under MOA I think it would be wasted money.

Value is much like beauty to the eye of the beholder.

Far be it for me to piddle over services a competitor offers. Obviously their is a demand for the work otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

I can tell you this though:

If your going to spend between $400 and $1,050 to essentially have someone glue your sling studs, spend 10 minutes with a mill to whittle on a bedding block, sell you some new action screws, and then lube the snot out of everything I can think of much better ways to spend you money.

Pick any marquee smith on this forum, buy a barrel, have the action tuned up, and then go shoot the dickens out of it.

You'll be light years ahead in the end. You'll also probably have a little gas money left to get to the range.

Good luck.

C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Value is much like beauty to the eye of the beholder.

Far be it for me to piddle over services a competitor offers. Obviously their is a demand for the work otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

If your going to spend between $400 and $1,050 to essentially have someone glue your sling studs, spend 10 minutes with a mill to whittle on a bedding block, sell you some new action screws, and then lube the snot out of everything I can think of much better ways to spend you money.

Pick any marquee smith on this forum, buy a barrel, have the action tuned up, and then go shoot the dickens out of it.

You'll be light years ahead in the end. You'll also probably have a little gas money left to get to the range.

Good luck.

C

</div></div>

I second that , very good advice.

I dont see any reason to have this done. If your rifle is shooting poorly try using diffferent loads and if that doesnt work then i would have the action trued. Also, take a look at your optics and particularly the mounts. If they are not bedded into the receiver then you run the risk of them shifting the POA which of course changes POI and opens up groups.

Most everything on their list is a preventative measure and has no effect on accuracy. Based on what I see, I would guess the crowning is done "Potterfield" style as the approach to "accurizing" appears to be quite low tech. Not a good place to direct funds if you're really looking for accurizing a factory rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">crowning is done "Potterfield" style </div></div>

I'm going to use that statement in the future

Smoke and mirrors come to mind

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Value is much like beauty to the eye of the beholder.

Good luck.

C

</div></div>

I second that , very good advice. </div></div>

I TRIPLE that.lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">crowning is done "Potterfield" style </div></div>

Smoke and mirrors come to mind </div></div>

"And that's the way it is."
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">crowning is done "Potterfield" style </div></div>

Smoke and mirrors come to mind</div></div>

ever see a gunplumber chamber a barrel on a mill?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">neither have i

but i've hear'd stories

</div></div>

Horror stories is what comes to mind.

I think that is a rip off for what you are going to pay. Just my opinion......I could be wrong.

Remember that IBA was the original shop that got a couple of million to develop the XM-3. I have shot both the originals out of Chandler's shop and know out of the Remington custom shop. Not bad guns but not up to the quality that I assume custom guns will shoot.

The one I shot out of the rem custom shot had a trigger that was bad, the pull would very from 3 to 7 pounds. The firing pin was slightly bent causing misfires one out three shots. I was told that this particular gun was on its way to be deployed, which should be a crime. Equipment that I used to send into theater was 100% tested as they need it when it gets there.

Anyway, back to your original question I would not buy anything from Chandler's shop. As a good joke google XM-3 and you find Chandler out pimping his guns in the national rags.

wade

I see the Chandler's at gun shows in Virginia where they have some of their rifles. I handled a lefty PSS for 2100 dollars that had their 1050.00 tune up. I didn't see anything special about it and when I asked about it I got the listing of what they do in their tune up. I thought to myself how that could possibly be that much for little more then a minor tune up and technical inspection.

So I did the next best thing...I had Mike Bush and Mark Gordon build me two lefty's. Money better spent in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">crowning is done "Potterfield" style </div></div>

Smoke and mirrors come to mind </div></div>

"And that's the way it is."
grin.gif
</div></div>

"Don't Potterfield that barrel"...