• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IBI Barrel #2

No, the first IBI barrel with the EPS chamber didn't even have a feed ramp cut and it fed better than this one. After having an actual Winchester 52D I never dreamed the bolt would be as hard as it is to close. It's a PITA for now but I like the results I'm getting.

Okay, that's what I've heard consistently with those running Eley EPS. I have the option right now to take a 45minute detour and have them ream my current Win52D barrel with Eley EPS... making it an interesting hybrid. No idea how it will shoot, but I am sure hoping it'll feed better!

That would be interesting. Tomorrow I'm going to put a round into the chamber by hand and then close the bolt to bypass the feed ramp. This will tell me how much resistance is coming from the 52D chamber alone. FWIW, the Winchester 52D is a larger rifle in every respect over the Tikka so the camming action and leverage may be why the Win 52D rifle bolt is easier to manipulate.

Has anyone properly slugged one of these ibi barrels? Are they taper lapped? I just picked up a Lilja blank and it’s now on its way to my smith to be fit, chambered and installed. The hand lapped bore of this barrel .2219” at the breach and .2187 at the muzzle, progressively smooth from the breach to the muzzle but progressively tighter as you push the slug. when stoped at the muzzle and pushed back to the breach when held 90 degrees with the floor the slug will fall back out the breach. Just curios about the quality of this IBI as I almost bought one. From what I read quality seams iffy.

You can, and I have done that. Only thing I can say is you have to be extremely mindful about what you are going because your trigger will be exposed. I have Eley Match, Team and Target coming in two days. I will check those when they get here. In my mind this rim size on the Eley Edge is alarming. Also, I checked 3 rounds and it was exactly the same every time. I also verified my calipers were still at zero. If this is the case for all of the Eley I am just not going to know what to think about it. If anyone reading this has the opportunity to check their rim size for Eley "anything" please do so and post your results.
in my win52c set my headspace for eley could not close bolt on any lapua or sk

I wonder if the barrel can be set back and have a mini protruding feed ramp machined into it and keep the chamber entrance untouched? (Think Ruger MK pistols.)

Everything is fixed on the T1x with the IBI Barrel with the Win 52D chamber. SK feeds great, Lapua feeds great some Eley does but not all. A few days ago I got to shoot the T1x and 457 with zero wind and the results were fantastic with both rifles "for my skill level". I believe the Win 52D chamber is overall more accurate than the Calfee 4 chamber in my 457 IBI barrel. Sadly the B-14R is lagging behind both overall. My next session will include the Anschutz 1710 and 1712.
Tikka IBI Midas + 4-15-20.jpg
Tikka IBI Center-X 4-15-20.jpg
Tikka IBI Lapua Pistol King 4-15-20.jpg
Tikka IBI SK Rifle Match 4-15-20.jpg
Tikka IBI Eley Edge 4-15-20.jpg

A friend of mine invited me to the Greenville Gun Club and I got to shoot the T1x and the 457 at 100 yards. If I do this again I will have to come up with a different target type. I'd like to at least get five 5-shot groups in. I calculated an average based on the 4 groups, AVG is at the top left of the plates. Ammo that was most accurate at 55 yards was the most accurate at 100 yards. There was some wind on this day.
Tikka IBI Midas + 4-16-20 100 yards.jpg
Tikka IBI Center-X 4-16-20 100 yards.jpg
Tikka IBI Lapua Pistol King 4-16-20 100 yards.jpg
Tikka IBI SK Rifle Match 4-16-20 100 yards.jpg

Here's the range. At the 300 yard line there's a 24" and 10" steel gong. I hit the 10" plate 9 out of 10 times with the "bitch to feed" CCI SV. From left to right you have the 50 yard, 100 yard, 200 yard and 300 yard. The white speck is the 24" steel plate.
IMG_20200416_112032.jpg

I believe IBI makes a fantastic barrel. I wish I had gotten the 457 barrel with the Win 52D chamber.

I just saw this thread.
1. Wow, that barrel feed was a mess, I think I would have sent it back to IBI to fix. It shouldn't have left like that. Makes you wonder about their QC.
2. Rim thickness was an eye opener. I never expected that much variation. Probably explains why Eley never shot well out of my CZ MTR and SK/Lapua/RWS did. Looks like you using a .223 spent case to hold the round for rim measurements.
3. You like the 52D chamber better than the Calfee 4. Good to know! I always heard the 52D is a tight ass chamber originally made for BR.

Good info. KOD!

Looking good, every time I read a post by you or Littlepod it makes me want to order an IBI.

I just saw this thread.
1. Wow, that barrel feed was a mess, I think I would have sent it back to IBI to fix. It shouldn't have left like that. Makes you wonder about their QC.
2. Rim thickness was an eye opener. I never expected that much variation. Probably explains why Eley never shot well out of my CZ MTR and SK/Lapua/RWS did. Looks like you using a .223 spent case to hold the round for rim measurements.
3. You like the 52D chamber better than the Calfee 4. Good to know! I always heard the 52D is a tight ass chamber originally made for BR.

Good info. KOD!
The barrel was probably good to go from the start even though the feed ramp did look kind of crappy. The real issue is how the T1x feeds ammo from the magazine. It works great now. I am using a fired .223 case. I do believe overall the Win 52D chamber is more accurate than the Calfee 4. I make that statement for my two rifles, others may have a different experience. Glad you enjoyed the writeup.

Looking good, every time I read a post by you or Littlepod it makes me want to order an IBI.
For the money I do believe IBI barrels are hard to beat. I believe they are worth it also. Bartlein barrels are well over $400 and I can't see them shooting any better than what I'm getting now. In the future I might buy an IBI barrel for my Ruger Prec. Rimfire. No one to my knowledge has even tried one.

In the five plates/targets above I shot fifty 5-shot groups at 55 yards with five different ammo types. That's 250 rounds back to back to back. BTW, Midas + was shot last. Out of those 50, 32 were 3/8" or better, 46 groups were 1/2" or better. Is that not consistency at its finest? With those kind of results I have to start questioning myself, "do I really need a Vudoo or Deuce or RimX"? I get 100% feeding, 100% extraction and ejection plus I get the accuracy. I have approximately $1,350 in my T1x, not including the scope. I see a lot of great groups on here and RFC but nothing that would compel me to pay $2500 for a complete rifle.

But, truth be told, I'll probably end up getting a Vudoo anyway. Not because I need one or even expect it to out shoot the IBI barrels but just to have one.

For the money I do believe IBI barrels are hard to beat. I believe they are worth it also. Bartlein barrels are well over $400 and I can't see them shooting any better than what I'm getting now. In the future I might buy an IBI barrel for my Ruger Prec. Rimfire. No one to my knowledge has even tried one.

In the five plates/targets above I shot fifty 5-shot groups at 55 yards with five different ammo types. That's 250 rounds back to back to back. BTW, Midas + was shot last. Out of those 50, 32 were 3/8" or better, 46 groups were 1/2" or better. Is that not consistency at its finest? With those kind of results I have to start questioning myself, "do I really need a Vudoo or Deuce or RimX"? I get 100% feeding, 100% extraction and ejection plus I get the accuracy. I have approximately $1,350 in my T1x, not including the scope. I see a lot of great groups on here and RFC but nothing that would compel me to pay $2500 for a complete rifle.

But, truth be told, I'll probably end up getting a Vudoo anyway. Not because I need one or even expect it to out shoot the IBI barrels but just to have one.

I still haven't shot my Vudoo yet due to the shelter-in-place. But even if it only shot as well as my Tikka, I'm super happy with being in the R700 footprint. The B14R was tempting, but it would've been $950 + $500 barrel as the stock barrel just isn't where I'd like to be. So $1450 vs $1750... so $500 more for a vudoo which really isn't that bad (assuming you sell the B14R stock).

I'm happy now all my chassis and triggers are swappable.

I do like the Kukri/MTU profile also simulating the corresponding M24 / MTU contour in centerfire as well.

But it really comes down to what you're looking to do with the rifle. If you're running a BigHorn Origin, the Vudoo basically will cycle/shoot exactly like it. You can get the weights identical and have the perfect 22 trainer that mimics your centerfire.

If you're looking to just shoot a 22, not worry about centerfire trainer, or any sort of R700 type stuff, there are a ton of options. You could just take a Tikka or a CZ and bring it to a smith and have them cut a custom barrel for you. Look at Eoddave's custom Tikka that shoots 1/4" at 50.

The biggest reason I bought a Vudoo was the feel of a big rifle. I would guess your Bergara has a similar big rifle feel. The other big reason was I wanted a rifle that I absolutely, positively knew would shoot right out of the box with no tinkering or changing parts. The vudoo will deliver on that or they will fix it. Mike Bush and Vudoo have building rimfire rifles and customer service down to a fine science. I can honestly say the only company‘s I have dealt with that are their equal are Tract optics and MPA. The owners of these companies take a big interest in their customers. The day after I won a match Phil from MPA actually sent me an email congratulating me on my win. How many big companies would do that! My Tikka will shoot just as well and my Vudoo or possibly out shoot it. The difference is I basically customized the whole rifle and if I have a issue I will need to jump through a whole lot of hoops to have it addressed. I have less money in my Tikka but a ton of my time. The only factory parts left on my Tikka are the action, bolt and trigger. I just dropped my Vudoo in a chassis and done. If you buy a Vudoo I’m sure you will love it. It’s kind of hard not to. If you don’t like it Mike Bush and his team will bend over backwards to take care of you. That’s what owning a Vudoo is.

The time will come one day when I'll get the Vudoo. This damn beer virus has stopped me from buying a lot of things although I did pick up this very nice Anschutz 1717 17 HMR last week at a local pawn shop.

IMG_20200418_183917.jpg
IMG_20200418_183949.jpg
IMG_20200418_184021.jpg
ANS 1717 Fed 17 Gr #P771.jpg

Reactions: jeronimo