• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IBJJF Open in Orlando

Nooch13

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ocala, FL
So I plan to come off a 9 year BJJ competition retirement (I’ve still been training) and enter the IBJJF open in Orlando. The goal will be to use this event as a warm up for the pan ams

For those that don’t follow ancient history, or have any stone tablets to read. The last time I competed, I took a silver in the Pan Ams. Anything short of a gold will be considered a failure.

Diet starts Monday, training starts today. Is anyone else from here going to be in this event?

Wont be there but good luck to you and I hope the training goes well 🍻

Reactions: Huskydriver
Fuck yea homey. What belt are you? I cant wait to get my son started in comp. He's not ready for competition yet but he's excited about doing it. I told my professor that I had 0 interest in doing competition myself. I get my share of competitive adrenaline from shooting. I just want to twist dudes heads off. Dude, keep this thread going with video and pics of your progress.

Well I hope you do well man. Keep this thread updated. Soon, im bringing my professor on to the podcast. Im taking him shooting LR for the first time. We are going to talk BJJ and his first time experiencing hitting steel at distance. Heath Chapman is my professor. Hes a Robson Moura black belt.

Honest question. How is a gjj belt distinguished from an “ordinary BJJ belt?” And if the international organization for BJJ recognizes you as brown, how do you claim black? Good luck in Orlando.

Reactions: diverdon
Isn’t BJJ a bunch of sweaty dudes flopping around and breathing heavy?

Reactions: diverdon
@hlee

I received my black belt in BJJ from Don Cunanan, a Randy Bloom black belt last year while living in Morgantown. They are not Gracie affiliated but are VERY legit. All of my other belts have been from Phil Migliarese at Team Balance, a direct Relson Gracie affiliate.

here is Don Cunanan (DC) lineage. While you will see the Gracie name mentioned in the lineage, they are not currently affiliated.

LINEAGE
MITSUYO MAEDA > CARLOS GRACIE > HELIO GRACIE > FRANCISCO MANSUR >
JOE MOREIRA > RANDY BLOOM > ROLANDO "DC" CUNANAN/ PHIL DAVIS >

it’s a money making thing for IBJJF. Now your academy has to pay to register with them, then you have to pay to register under your team as well. The last time I competed (2009) in an IBJJF event, this was not the case. I personally think it’s a dumb business move as there are a shit ton of non Gracie affiliated gyms that have students who would pay to compete in their events.

after moving to Florida, I’m now with Matt Bartlett, a Renato Tavares black belt at Ocala BJJ. That’s an amazing academy if anyone ever has a chance to visit!

Last edited:
Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Isn’t BJJ a bunch of sweaty dudes flopping around and breathing heavy?

Getting kinda late boomer, you forget to take your centrum silver and ensure before bed? Thought you all went to sleep at 6 after the early bird at sizzler ended at 430.....😂

giphy (4).gif

Tagged to follow. Good luck at the open! Been striking most of my life but started BJJ about 2 years ago. Only done one tournament so far because of covid and a torn pec. Hoping to get some more in this year between shooting.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
@hlee

I received my black belt in BJJ from Don Cunanan, a Randy Bloom black belt last year while living in Morgantown. They are not Gracie affiliated but are VERY legit. All of my other belts have been from Phil Migliarese at Team Balance, a direct Relson Gracie affiliate.

here is Don Cunanan (DC) lineage. While you will see the Gracie name mentioned in the lineage, they are not currently affiliated.

LINEAGE
MITSUYO MAEDA > CARLOS GRACIE > HELIO GRACIE > FRANCISCO MANSUR >
JOE MOREIRA > RANDY BLOOM > ROLANDO "DC" CUNANAN/ PHIL DAVIS >

it’s a money making thing for IBJJF. Now your academy has to pay to register with them, then you have to pay to register under your team as well. The last time I competed (2009) in an IBJJF event, this was not the case. I personally think it’s a dumb business move as there are a shit ton of non Gracie affiliated gyms that have students who would pay to compete in their events.

after moving to Florida, I’m now with Matt Bartlett, a Renato Tavares black belt at Ocala BJJ. That’s an amazing academy if anyone ever has a chance to visit!
Thanks for the explanation. I had not considered bjj gyms not affiliating with ibjjf...

About belts, I have heard this, however... “Yeah, it takes about 2 years of consistent training in Tae Kwon Do to get a black belt. It takes about the same amount of time to get a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, so I’m pretty much a black belt...“ I’ve also seen a lot of “only GJJ is the way.”

My first instructor was a black belt through Joe Moreira > Jerry Laurita, though I’m training with Gracie Elite now. After my last ACL surgery, I don’t think I’ll be competing anymore (purple belt).

Thanks for the explanation. I had not considered bjj gyms not affiliating with ibjjf...

About belts, I have heard this, however... “Yeah, it takes about 2 years of consistent training in Tae Kwon Do to get a black belt. It takes about the same amount of time to get a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, so I’m pretty much a black belt...“ I’ve also seen a lot of “only GJJ is the way.”

My first instructor was a black belt through Joe Moreira > Jerry Laurita, though I’m training with Gracie Elite now. After my last ACL surgery, I don’t think I’ll be competing anymore (purple belt).
I started training in 1997, got my Gracie brown in 2009 from Phil and finally got my black in 2020 from DC. Took me 23 years! Part of that is we move every 2 years and constantly have to get re established at academies. Makes things real tough!

No I couldn't get the time off work for pans but I did a grappling industries tournament Saturday. Made it to semi-finals in gi and no gi but didn't place. Maybe pans next year but I got a lot to learn and a lot of work to do.

I was asking @BLKWLFK9 🤣😜

We had two golds at the PanAms in the ladies divisions (both blue belts)- that I know of. Not sure how the guys did. No, I didn’t compete.

Did you compete?

Nah, I didnt go but watched everyone's matches live on my flograppling account. I wasnt much use at work on Wed but hey, I was there. I think almost out entire academy is going to pans next year. Either compete or help coach.

So I plan to come off a 9 year BJJ competition retirement (I’ve still been training) and enter the IBJJF open in Orlando. The goal will be to use this event as a warm up for the pan ams

For those that don’t follow ancient history, or have any stone tablets to read. The last time I competed, I took a silver in the Pan Ams. Anything short of a gold will be considered a failure.

Diet starts Monday, training starts today. Is anyone else from here going to be in this event?
So Nooch. How did you do?

Pans I got smoked lol, but came back and did pretty well at Masters worlds in November. I went 1-1, losing in the 1/4 finals 4-2 getting swept to lose with 8 seconds left in the match.

I’m eyeing up nogi worlds in December now…